BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Crucible of Malediction and GK

So Im sure someone has already thought of this at some point and looked up the applicable rules/FAQs...

Am I correct in assuming that, once a Haemy deploys his CoM, every GK within 3d6 is supposed to take a psychic test and die if he fails it? or is it just one GK per unit as a friend of mine says?

thanks for your help, cheerio!

Had the same question several months ago. It seems as though mr. Ward wrote his brotherhood rules with crucible (among other things) specifically in mind. In order to counter the effectiveness of this piece of wargear (among other things), mr Ward added a clause to the effects of anything that targets a psycher only targets the brotherhood leader guy.

Now the issue is whether crucible actually "targets" anything. I am a mtg player of over a decade so I see a distinct difference between "target psycher takes a ld check" and "all psycher take a ld check"

To me, the first phrase would be targeting the psycher and therefor would only be resolved against the brotherhood leader guy.

The second phrase has no target, and as such, every gk would be effected since they all are psychers.

Not everyone has mtg thought processes drilled into their brains though, so for many people, something like crucible would be targeting every squad that it is effecting. Basically Ward has created enough reasonable doubt with his brotherhood wording that any skilled rules lawyer gk player will not let you blow up his army with crucible.

One point that is solid however, is the crucibles use against vehicles. Each gk vehicle is a psycher and must take the check or cy@. As for the effectiveness against troops, well you would need a dictionary, both codexes, a rulebook, a judge, and a jury to get an unbiased ruling.

Librarian

The Grey Knights will use their 'brotherhood of Psykers' special rule.

Each unit in range will be affected, each affected unit will take a single test. If the test is failed the Justicar will be removed; a unit without a justicar removes either a random member or a member of the Grey Knights choice (I cannot recall the specifics).
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Quote Originally Posted by w7west View Post

One point that is solid however, is the crucibles use against vehicles. Each gk vehicle is a psycher and must take the check or cy@. As for the effectiveness against troops, well you would need a dictionary, both codexes, a rulebook, a judge, and a jury to get an unbiased ruling.
    Ok, so what if theres a GK inside the vehicle?

Thanks for your answers guys!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Mazelf View Post
    Ok, so what if theres a GK inside the vehicle?!
    If the vehicle is simply 'removed from play' by an effect; and squads inside are lost along with it. [I believe this is in the FAQ; pretty much the same ruling as the Blood Claw special characters rule].
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Veteran-Sergeant

The main thing to remember about the CoM is that it is a one shot weapon that makes the target take a leadership test. Since most psykers are Ld 9 at least, it is'nt really likely that it will do anything in the first place. That makes the CoM a rather overpriced not very useful piece of wargear. I don't take it for that very reason, I'd rather use the points for something that can reliably kill something.

Of course, as always, YMMV.
    92 Golf: Death From Within
    Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan.

Chapter-Master

GK vehicles are ld 10, too, plus GKs are superb at mowing down any and all DE vehicles, so if you actually do manage to kill a rhino with 300 odd points of GKs in it then your opponent is probably incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by w7west View Post
    Had the same question several months ago. It seems as though mr. Ward wrote his brotherhood rules with crucible (among other things) specifically in mind. In order to counter the effectiveness of this piece of wargear (among other things), mr Ward added a clause to the effects of anything that targets a psycher only targets the brotherhood leader guy.

Now the issue is whether crucible actually "targets" anything. I am a mtg player of over a decade so I see a distinct difference between "target psycher takes a ld check" and "all psycher take a ld check"
    GW isn't that precise with their wording. This isn't magic or warmachine, this is 40k. GW does a sloppy job of defining most everything. All the shooting rules have to say about targeting is pretty much 'pick your target and try and shoot it'.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 10-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Paladin View Post
    If the vehicle is simply 'removed from play' by an effect; and squads inside are lost along with it. [I believe this is in the FAQ; pretty much the same ruling as the Blood Claw special characters rule].
    The CoM doesn't affect vehicles as per the latest Dark Eldar FAQ. Basically it would affect any IC, Techmarine, Nemesis Dreadnight in range as well as one model from any unit with the Brotherhood of Psykers rule. Dreadnoughts, Transports, Stormravens and Land Raiders are unaffected.

Chapter-Master

Ah, yep, that's new.

Q: Does the Crucible of Malediction affect vehicles that
    are also psykers? (p60)
    A: No
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Whilst on a slightly different topic (seems senseless opening a new thread) what are your takes on Condemnor Boltguns in the new sisters codex?

They seem to be able to spam them across multiple squads and whilst they are great at taking the justicars out of squads what are your takes on them giving free glancing hits on GK land raiders/other vehicles (perils)?
    Last edited by The Twilight Fade; 10-10-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast