BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorSoB View Post
    I like this rating for appearance and while we are at it how about rating hygiene?

1) Showered +10
    2) Hair washed and combed +10
    3) Clean Clothes +10
    4) Wearing deodorant +50

...now this is a progressive idea for a tournament, but I am sure that half the gaming community will feel slighted that someone has taken away their right to offend my nose and personal space...LOL.
    I think you may be overweighting deoderant. Surely, "Showered" and "Clean Clothes" should be worth more. =P

Chapter-Master

Yeah, I'd take someone who forgot to put on deodorant over someone who hasn't showered in a week any day. Even if they start to smell bad after a while, at least they didn't smell at one point.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngelHopeful View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "chipmunking?"
    another internet slang i've picked up since being on BoLS

i think it means saying you'll rate a player high for sportsmanship to their face, then scoring them very low to the judges, removing scores from them, but possibly gaining yourself a high score because you've "befriended" your opponent.

hence why sportsmanshipscores and painting scores shouldn't be inclusive in the overall score in a tournement - because they are manipulated by the players...
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

As far as I know, chipmunking means that you give your opponent a low score on sportsmanship because they beat you and you are bitter over the loss, even if the other player was a polite opponent. If you have a rude opponent, it's not chipmunking to give them a low score, even if you are all smiles with them to try to boost your own sportsmanship score.

I've also seen people chipmunk their opponents because their friends are competing in the same tournament and they want to increase the chance of a friend winning overall.

Brother-Sergeant

From the community around here I'd say the radical tournament approach would work fine. Everyone I've plaed minus one or two have been great sports and eveyone's going to get the full 60 points probably. And we have nicely painted armies so most people are going to get full points for that.

But if you bring an unpainted army, you're screwed even if you get max game points.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by -=Lazuli=- View Post
    But if you bring an unpainted army, you're screwed even if you get max game points.
    Which is the main problem with combining painting and gaming.

When was the last you saw a GOlden Demon entrant get second place witha superior paint job, only because the first place entrant's model could beat it in combat?

Sounds stupid and silly, right?

So does forcing painting on gamers.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

When was the last you saw a GOlden Demon entrant get second place witha superior paint job, only because the first place entrant's model could beat it in combat?

Most the gamers going already have nicely painted armies, but the standard varies.

Oh the trophies to the tournament looks really nice. The are data-slates with Best Appearance, Best General, etc.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

Painting is part of the hobby, and I do think it should be included in tournaments, but be marginalized so that it someone who lost every game doesn't end up winning overall because they are the best painter EVAR. Having painting/composition being 60% of your overall score is ridiculous and might discourage newer players form entering because they have not developed their painting skills enough to even get average scores. Having it less than 10% of the overall score seems more fair to me, but then everyone has their own ideas about how much soft scores should count (we all know your stance ).

I think a simple rubric for painting/comp would be far more useful as it would be easier to keep track of. Then have separate winners for best general/sportsman/painted, etc. but with prizes of similar value for each. This way, everyone can play their own way and (possibly) be rewarded for it. A simple system is also easier to catch chipmunkers as (at least the painting category) are easier to check.

E.g. Appearance:
    Are there any unpainted* minis in the opponent's army? y/n y=1 n=3 *unpainted = grey plastic or primed only
    Does the opponent's army have 3 colour minimum on each model? y/n y= 3 n= 1
    Are the bases of your opponent's minis covered by paint, sand, flock, etc? y/n y=3 n=1

Sportsmanship:
    Was your opponent polite? y/n y =3 n=1
    Was your opponent ever rude to you? y/n y =0 n =3
    etc.

And yeah, $75 is too much. I don't think adepticon is even that much up here at home. Overall, it's not the uber competitive tournie that is 'Ard Boyz (which you all love soo much), but more of a "fun tournie". However, this does not stop it from being overpriced.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Quote Originally Posted by entendre_entendre View Post
    Painting is part of the hobby,
    See, this is where I tune out. Anytime you authoritatively say what is and isn't part of "the hobby" I want to crap all over my thread like I did with the other one with arbitrary categorizations as to what "the hobby" is and isn't. What if the hobby for me is arguing about rules? Why should I be penalized for enjoying the hobby?

Scout

Tournament scoring aside, I think we can safely say minis are intended to be painted. Besides, I think GW's definition of "the hobby" pretty clearly includes painting. I wouldn't "force" it on anyone, but I'm just saying, to act like painting is some fringe activity is a bit disingenuous. The context very clearly suggests otherwise.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast