BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default Local Tournaments are getting weird

So a couple friends and I were talking about a tournament that was coming up and were actually cooking up some interesting lists (backward comp rules will do that to you) but then we noticed some odd things about it.

1 ) It has a 20 point category for Composition then another 10 point for Army List.
    2 ) Sportsmanship scores (lol) accommodate 60 points
    3 ) Appearance has meticulously detailed guidelines totaling 30 points
    4 ) Gameplay's only worth 78 points

and then it got really weird

5 ) GW Errata is in effect but not the FAQs. You're expected to just kinda decide on a per-game basis I guess.
    6 ) Imperial Armor is in, Apocalypse's incredibly powerful flyer rules are in but the various Apocalypse AA units are not
    7 ) VDR is allowed. Holy 2004 batman.
    8 ) The tournament is somehow 75 dollars without any mention of prize support

Honestly maybe I'm being a bit harsh on them but is it just me or are at least a few of these things a bit of a turn off when it comes to a tournament?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post

1 ) It has a 20 point category for Composition then another 10 point for Army List.
    4 ) Gameplay's only worth 78 point
    5 ) GW Errata is in effect but not the FAQs. You're expected to just kinda decide on a per-game basis I guess.
    6 ) Imperial Armor is in, Apocalypse's incredibly powerful flyer rules are in but the various Apocalypse AA units are not
    OMG is this the crackheads throne of gundam 10' touney???

1,2,3,4) wait so if your army looks shiny and your a nice guy you can beat the most amazing players ever?????
    5) WTF
    6) right thas just silly= he who buys the most expensive FW fighter/bomber wing wins???
    7) be prepared to see LOtS of gundam and CA (also does this meant those who artn 40 or dont have CA cant make ther own tanks )
    8) a $5 gw coupon :P

seriously this looks like "buy some FW flyers and a titan?" obiusly the host had some flyers and some custom guys he wanted to use??? and there painted nicely but he dosnt have any tactics??
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Veteran-Sergeant

Deleted

I found my answer.
    Last edited by DarkAngelHopeful; 06-06-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: I found my answer
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    OMG is this the crackheads throne of gundam 10' touney???

1,2,3,4) wait so if your army looks shiny and your a nice guy you can beat the most amazing players ever?????
    5) WTF
    6) right thas just silly= he who buys the most expensive FW fighter/bomber wing wins???
    7) be prepared to see LOtS of gundam and CA (also does this meant those who artn 40 or dont have CA cant make ther own tanks )
    8) a $5 gw coupon :P

seriously this looks like "buy some FW flyers and a titan?" obiusly the host had some flyers and some custom guys he wanted to use??? and there painted nicely but he dosnt have any tactics??
    Apparently its a tournament series that has ran for a couple years up in Canada and decided to come down to Texas

Its really just puzzling. I have no idea why they're charging $75 a head for entry to their tournament.

Chapter-Master

What is the difference between Composition and Army list? Dump this crap already.

Ugh... Here goes the chipmunking...

Get painting the F-CK out of competitive gaming tournaments FFS!! Go enter a painting contest.

4 ) Gameplay's only worth 78 points
    I assume this means getting objectives and winning? This should be 100% of the scoring.

This isn't weird at all. Erratas are official changes to all books that each player must use. FAQs are just house rules. If a tournament organizer does not wish to follow these house rules, that is their right. I have seen a few tourneys that do this.

Yeah.... This is just stupid.
    Wow... This is even dumber....

Yeah.... Don't bother attending.... Especially with 3rd edition VDR rules in effect.

This tourney sounds like pure crap. Avoid it all at costs.

Somehow I knew you'd hop in on the FAQ point Buffo. I guess my complaint is it seems like a step backwards. Most tournaments try and eliminate rules debates in-game by explicitly stating how they'll be ruled ahead of time whereas it seems the organizers of this one want to encourage it.

Its just baffling.

EDIT : Nothing personal Buffo, its just that any mention regarding FAQs being official is like the bat-signal for you
    Last edited by Shavnir; 06-06-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Chapter-Master

Somehow I knew you'd hop in on the FAQ point Buffo. I guess my complaint is it seems like a step backwards. Most tournaments try and eliminate rules debates in-game by explicitly stating how they'll be ruled ahead of time whereas it seems the organizers of this one want to encourage it.

Its just baffling.

EDIT : Nothing personal Buffo, its just that any mention regarding FAQs being official is like the bat-signal for you
    You commented on a single response I made. What about the others?

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    You commented on a single response I made. What about the others?
    Preaching to the choir. I miss playing games where tournaments were events where people showed up and if you won games you got a prize. Do we really need to complicate things?

EDIT : In case its not clear I'm not the one organizing this event in any way shape or form. I'm more commenting on the absurdity of it.

Chapter-Master

LOL I would take dump in front of the establishment if there were no prizes for a 75$ entry fee.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    LOL I would take dump in front of the establishment if there were no prizes for a 75$ entry fee.
    Never said there were no prizes just no information of prizes of note. I could almost see that sort of fee if they were renting out a venue but its being held at a LGS so that seems unlikely too.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast