BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Madrak World Ender with freehand runes

This is another mini that I painted for the P3 Grandmasters painting competition. He was awarded a silver medal (which I'm proud of, given the competition at the event).

For those of you less familiar with the mini, I extended the base and cut off some embossed runes in order to paint them back on as freehand.

I've also posted him up on [url=http://coolminiornot.com/257140]CMON[/url] if anyone is interested in voting.

www.GardenNinja.com

Battle-Brother

Wow. Just wow. That is absolutely stunning, and thoroughly deserving of a silver medal.

The palette that you've chosen makes him look very Morrowan; was that deliberate? If so, I like how you've kept the Trollblood influence with the subtle chequers on the quitarii.

Librarian

Thank you.

I hadn't actually thought of it as Morrowan, but I did want to use very light colors on him. The white quitarii was something of a challenge from my wife (she wanted to see me do a white on white pattern on him, and checkers seemed like the best way to suggest a tartan).

www.GardenNinja.com

That is down right stunning. Brilliant work. I like the fact that the colors make him look drained by the weight of his axe.

Just excellent, well done!
    Favorite Team Mate - 40k Narrative (Heresy) WARGames Con 2013
    Favorite Player - 40k Narrative (Armageddon) WARGames Con 2011
    Favorite Opponent - Warmachine Steamroller - WARGames Con 2010

Battle-Brother

Wow what a great paintjob, just beautiful.

Chapter-Master

This is just awful. Seriously. Why would you post this here....

...and make the rest of us feel so bad.

I love the Madrak skin. You'd be a saintly man were you willing to share the recipe.

www.queencityguard.com

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    This is just awful. Seriously. Why would you post this here....

...and make the rest of us feel so bad.

I love the Madrak skin. You'd be a saintly man were you willing to share the recipe.
    Well, Madrak's skin was painted using a two tone shading that I like to do on skin tones. I really like shading skin tones in this way because it gives the skin a complex organic look.

The base color is P3 Frostbite, which was shaded first by a wash of Frostbite and Sanguine Highlight, then with a wash of Frostbite and Battledress Green, then with a very small area shading done with a wash of Battledress and Sanguine Highlight. After that, I reclaimed a lot of the areas with Frostbite, then highlighted by adding Morrowan White to the Frostbite.

www.GardenNinja.com

Chapter-Master

Okay, I'm certainly going to try that!

To be clear, though, because terminology varies, are your washes more of a wash akin to applying straight Devlan Mud (in my lingo, a very watered down mix of the paint that is applied to the crevices) or a glaze (again, in my lingo: heavily watered down color with the excess water offloaded before applying the remaining pigment).

Thanks again; I sincerely love this model. So much that I almost want to commission you do paint my albino Trolls.

www.queencityguard.com

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Okay, I'm certainly going to try that!

To be clear, though, because terminology varies, are your washes more of a wash akin to applying straight Devlan Mud (in my lingo, a very watered down mix of the paint that is applied to the crevices) or a glaze (again, in my lingo: heavily watered down color with the excess water offloaded before applying the remaining pigment).

Thanks again; I sincerely love this model. So much that I almost want to commission you do paint my albino Trolls.
    Well, let's see. The purpose of this is shading, and your 'glaze' technique will really more set a mood and less shade your base color. So we'll call it a wash.

Make sure that the third wash is applied only to small portions of the mini (the deepest shading areas). The other two layers can be applied a little more liberally.

www.GardenNinja.com

Chapter-Master

Cool, so it is a wash for shading and not for gradual build up of color. Really appreciate your time!

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast