BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote:
    3 ) Appearance has meticulously detailed guidelines totaling 30 points

Get painting the F-CK out of competitive gaming tournaments FFS!! Go enter a painting contest.

Quote:
    4 ) Gameplay's only worth 78 points

I assume this means getting objectives and winning? This should be 100% of the scoring.

I just want to comment on these two points by Boffo.

Boffo, this may be a news flash for you but this is a MINATURES game. If you don't like to paint armies why not play 40k on Vassal? In fact, given the crappy rules and lack of balance why play 40k at all?
    Last edited by blackjack; 06-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
    Boffo, this may be a news flash for you but this is a MINATURES game. If you don't like to paint armies why not play 40k on Vassal? In fact, given the crappy rules and lack of balance why play 40k at all?
    Honestly? Its common and a lot of people already have armies. That's 40k's biggest draw for me at least. Now that I'm in a more populous area I donno if I need to keep playing it to have my wargaming fix every week.

EDIT : Should the Golden Daemon have a part where you have to prove you can properly beat a mechanized Marine list?
    Last edited by Shavnir; 06-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Chapter-Master

Don't presume that just because you like painting, that everyone else does, and should.

Plus, winning a tournament based on your skill as a painter is just as bad as winning by your comp score.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

"Don't presume that just because you like painting, that everyone else does, and should."

I don't presume that you do, that's why I dont understand why you play the game with all these grey plastic minis that clearly need painting. Vassal provides the same game with no need for minatures at all.

"Plus, winning a tournament based on your skill as a painter is just as bad as winning by your comp score. "

Well painting is at least a skill (provided you paint your armies yourself).

Chapter-Master

I don't presume that you do, that's why I dont understand why you play the game with all these grey plastic minis that clearly need painting. Vassal provides the same game with no need for minatures at all.
    I don't play with unpainted minis, for the most part (I need to get around to painting my Sisters). And having fully painted armies is nice.

But Vassal isn't a very good substitute for the actual tabletop. I want to play a game and hang out with friends and such. I don't know about you, but I like beating my opponent to his face.

And if someone does show up with an unpainted army and wants to play? I don't have the slightest problem with that.

"Plus, winning a tournament based on your skill as a painter is just as bad as winning by your comp score. "

Well painting is at least a skill (provided you paint your armies yourself).
    It's a skill that should be tested in painting contests. Now, a tournament is a convenient time to hold a painting contest, having everyone score everyone else's armies. But keep those scores and prizes separate from the tournament and game scores.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    3 ) Appearance has meticulously detailed guidelines totaling 30 points
    No wait guys, this applies to clothing.
    1)Spandex pants +10.
    2)Ballerina Tutu +20
    3)Wear Chicken for Hat +15
    4)The chicken is alive +30

This is for the greater good.

Librarian

This is the kind of tourney i'd love to be in, of course for a much smaller entrance fee.

the reason?

because i'd actually have a hope in hell of coming somewhere higher than dead last

but then i'm a tactically defficient, conscript loving guard player who is allergic to competitive activities and loves to paint hundreds of figures just to watch them die and go back into their case....

I enjoy competitive tournements to an extent, they are fun playing lots of games quickly. but i'd much rather play some "loose" games of 40k in the same spirit (ie scenarios that bend the rules, using units which arent standard, introducing all sorts of wacky rules)

VDR is cool to see, i loved that stuff when it was released (although i'd add the proviso it HAD to be either GW conversion, or scratchbuild in GW style. to remove all the toy robots)

i'd even go further to allow custom army rules, bestowing certain USRs to the entire army based on fluff, but then thats just me, i enjoy the whole hobby, not just the competition side.

By the way, i do understand that tournements are tournements, and that there is no room for "loose" game play, i am strongly of the oppinion that there should be recognition of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in the "best general" award for gaming scores. then recognition of the best army, and then recognition of best sportsman. whether these have prize support or not, they should be separate. (i totally agree with Shavnir who said "Should the Golden Daemon have a part where you have to prove you can properly beat a mechanized Marine list? " spot on, painting comps don't require sportsmanship or gameplay scores, so why should a tournament require painting scores... footballers don't get benefits from having a nicer coloured shirt)

painting and friendlyness have no place in the tournement "in-game" rankings, there is no system which will remove "chipmunking" or "hate rating". therefore if the system is corruptable, it has no place in final scores.

this competition however, does sound fun to me, but then i'm sure i'm in the minority...
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by superscenic View Post
    No wait guys, this applies to clothing.
    1)Spandex pants +10.
    2)Ballerina Tutu +20
    3)Wear Chicken for Hat +15
    4)The chicken is alive +30

This is for the greater good.
    I like this rating for appearance and while we are at it how about rating hygiene?

1) Showered +10
    2) Hair washed and combed +10
    3) Clean Clothes +10
    4) Wearing deodorant +50

...now this is a progressive idea for a tournament, but I am sure that half the gaming community will feel slighted that someone has taken away their right to offend my nose and personal space...LOL.

Chapter-Master

I have no idea what Blackjack says. I have him on ignore, and I can only see what he says through quotes.

It seems he still has nothing constructive to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorSoB View Post
    I like this rating for appearance and while we are at it how about rating hygiene?

1) Showered +10
    2) Hair washed and combed +10
    3) Clean Clothes +10
    4) Wearing deodorant +50

...now this is a progressive idea for a tournament, but I am sure that half the gaming community will feel slighted that someone has taken away their right to offend my nose and personal space...LOL.
    Wow, you are just pure awesome!

Veteran-Sergeant

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "chipmunking?"
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast