BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Question Immobilized Walker In Assault

The question is, if you are Assaulting an Immobilized Walker at its rear side, exactly which Armor Facing do you use?

The confusion comes from the following:

pg. 73 "In close combat, walkers fight like infantry models. However, any hits scored against them must roll for Armor Penetration against its Front Armor. This is because the walker is not a static target like other vehicles and rampages through the melee, turning to face its enemies."

pg. 73 "Immobilized and/or Stunned walkers fight in close combat, with one less attack than usual, but otherwise attack normally no matter how many Immobilized and Stunned results they suffered."

pg. 63 "Armor Penetration is worked out in the same way as for Shooting. In Close Combat, however, all hits are resolved against the vehicle's Rear Armor, to represent the chance of attacking a weak spot."

pg. 61 "Damaged Immobilized: An Immobilized vehicle may not turn in place but its main turret may continue to rotate to select targets."

So the question is, when attacking an Immobilized Walker in CC, do I go against its Front Armor, or Rear Armor? I understand its a Vehicle that attacks like Infantry, however if its Infantry-like then I understand the Front Armor rule stated in pg. 73. If it is Vehicle like, and its Immobilized, then it can't turn and should be able to be hit in its Rear Armor.

Any help in this is greatly appreciated.

Brother-Captain

The front. PG73. Immobilized does nothing more then reduce the amount of attacks (and keep it from pursuing should it win combat)
    CC w/ walkers is always vs front armour, always.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Yup yup, always the front armor
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Front armor. The abstract reason for this is that the dreadnought keeps pivoting, but that is only fluff and not rules. Thus, the rule that states that a dreadnought may not rotate after being immobilized does invalidate the rule that states that attackers hit the dread on the front armor.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

You can also rationalize it as the walker not being totally immobilized - it could be damaged enough that for shooting purposes it's essentially immobile, but still be able to drag or shuffle along enough to be relevant in hand to hand combat. A walker doesn't have to be able to move its legs very much to present an attacker the risk of being crushed or knocked aside, after all - a dreadnought shin that weighs a ton or two doesn't have to be moving very fast to knock somebody over, and knocked over next to an 11-ton walker is not a healthy position to be in Combined with whatever torso and arm mobility the walker has left, that ought to be enough to make most attackers approach with caution.

i liked to think that the immobolized result caused the legs to stop working and u lost an attack cause he cant stomp on things anymore

but its top half still worked and could spin 360 in effect

just my vision of how i would see an immobolized dread fighting on

Worth it to mention that the immobilized walker is hit by grenades on a WS v. WS comparison, an improvement over hitting on only 6's.

Having played Dow2 I imagine the immobilized result is much like when the Dreads walks around in circles in the same spot instead of actually going towards any enemy