BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Are all Leadership Tests Morale Tests?

I'm looking at Word of the Emperor, for example, or similar powers, that work based on Leadership tests.

WotE basically says "A unit needs to pass an Ld test to assault the psyker/unit using this power." Well, does a fearless unit ignore that? the Fearless USR points out Morale and Pinning tests, but not necessarily Leadership tests.

I personally think that leadership tests, morale tests and pinning tests are all separate things, even if they're all based on the Leadership statistic.

So any clarification on this issue would be appreciated!

Chaplain

I don't have my rulebook to hand so I can't find page references but if I remember correctly morale and pinning tests are different to leadership tests, they just happen to use the leadership characteristic.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Shyft View Post

I personally think that leadership tests, morale tests and pinning tests are all separate things, even if they're all based on the Leadership statistic.

So any clarification on this issue would be appreciated!
    I think they are seperate tests taht just use the same game mechanic.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

pgarfunkle and david5th are on to the right idea.

Morale Tests, Psychic Power Tests and Pinning Tests all use the Leadership mechanic, but are seperate entities to a Leadership Test in itself.

Since all Fearless does is negate Morale and Pinning Tests, they would still have to test for Word of the Emperor.

every moral test is a leadership test, but not every leadership test is a moral test... moral tests are special leadership tests which happen only in special situations as losing a close combat etc. so when you pass all moral tests automatically you must take other leadership tests as normal.
    in german the wording is even more complicated... cause leadership is called "moralwert". so we have moraltests and moralwerttests... (moral test and leadership test)

Veteran-Sergeant

Sebi81 is correct. In terms of heirarchy, Leadership is the root category and all the others are specific sub-sets under it. A morale test is a kind of leadership test, but it is wrong to say they are the same thing.

Similarly:
    Screwdrivers, wrenches and hammers are all 'tools.'
    All screwdrivers are 'tools.'
    Not all 'tools' are screwdrivers.
    Embarking =/= Nemesis Force Weapon

Chapter-Master

In 40k, you take three basic Leadership stat based tests;

Leadership
    Morale
    Pinning

Only if you are immune to "Leadership" tests are you then immune to all of them.
    Last edited by BuFFo; 03-13-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

Morale and pinning are special types of leadership tests. If you are immune to leadership tests, you are immune to all three, but if you are immune to moral and/or pinning, you are not immune to leadership tests.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

In 40k there are many kinds of Leadership checks. Morale, Pinning and Psychic are specifically named ones, but there are many more.

Morale, Pinning and Psychic checks are all Leadership checks, but all Leadership checks are not Morale, Pinning or Psychic checks.

Mycroft