BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2500 'Ard Boyz Guard, tear it apart.

What I am planning on bringing, all comments and criticism welcome (seriously).

Company Command Squad (3x Meltagun, Astropath, OotF) 140

DH Inquisitor (Emperor's Tarot, Psychic Hood, 2x Mystics) 67
    Psychic Battle Squad (10 mans) 110

Veterans (3x Meltagun) 100
    Veterans (3x Flamers, Demolitions) 115
    7x Chimera (HK Missiles) 455

3x Vendetta 390

3x Hydra Flak Cannon (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 255
    Manticore (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 170

Chapter-Master

I would squeeze a Psycannon on the Inquisitor.

Nothing like making invuls not happen. For example: Fateweaver.

Agree. Drop the HKs on the Hydras and make a Psy-Cannon happen.

Also, it's a very strange list: you really plan on leaving 1 veteran squad and both psyker squads out in the open? Mount all your veterans - if you are not planning to, then swap them out for a big blob platoon with a comissar.

Company Command Squad (3x Meltagun, Astropath, OotF) 140

DH Inquisitor (Emperor's Tarot, Psychic Hood, 2x Mystics) 67

7x Chimera (HK Missiles) 455

3x Vendetta 390

3x Hydra Flak Cannon (Heavy Bolter, HK Missile) 255

Drop the hood and go for the psycannon kind of pointless to have a ld 8 or 9 hood. Most psykers are LD 10. Drop the HK missles too kind of pointless to have all of them on there. You can spend the points on other places and plus trim the command squad down a little bit or substuite plasma for all of the melta. Its a CookieCutter list which I think you will have a hard time playing a lot of people with it.

@ Slave: He probably plans on putting the psykers, CCS, and melta squads in the chimeras. The flamer vets ride in the vendettas, alpha striking if he gets first turn.

List looks fine, drop the psychic hood or upgrade the inquisitor to a lord, as has been mentioned above. I used to think HK's were a huge waste of points, but if you take enough of them you can really frontload a lot of damage turn 1. A vendetta might wreck more tanks and kill more MC's than 13 HK's, but a vendetta can be shut down relatively easily, and a vendettas damage is spread out over the entire game rather than frontloaded in the first turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwynn View Post
    Its a CookieCutter list which I think you will have a hard time playing a lot of people with it.
    Do you mean that it isn't a good list, or that people will know how to fight it because they've seen similar mech guard armies before?

I mean, the list is fine - but I think that it's a little too fragile. Vets die so quick - rope in some blob platoons instead.

Roger on the Psychic Hood thing. I need to find a way to get the 16 points for the +2 Ld upgrade (drop two HK I guess...)

SlavesToDarkness: Are you trying to say that a blob of infantry will last longer in 'Ard Boyz vs a squad of mechanized vets? That's what I just read, but I am sure you must have meant something different.

Darkwynn: Could you please elaborate on your last sentence? Do you mean I will have a hard time because people will be expecting it? I don't think it is exactly 'cookie cutter' other than containing mech vets and a few vendettas, or is that the problem?

RE: Psycannon: Why? Two mystics are so that I can trim the fat here and let any other unit in my army take shots.

Appreciate the replies.

First-Captain

Fear, ive never been adepticon, But surely 10 men in a vehicle is quicker kill than 50 men

Quote Originally Posted by Fearspect View Post
    Roger on the Psychic Hood thing. I need to find a way to get the 16 points for the +2 Ld upgrade (drop two HK I guess...)

SlavesToDarkness: Are you trying to say that a blob of infantry will last longer in 'Ard Boyz vs a squad of mechanized vets? That's what I just read, but I am sure you must have meant something different.

Darkwynn: Could you please elaborate on your last sentence? Do you mean I will have a hard time because people will be expecting it? I don't think it is exactly 'cookie cutter' other than containing mech vets and a few vendettas, or is that the problem?

RE: Psycannon: Why? Two mystics are so that I can trim the fat here and let any other unit in my army take shots.

Appreciate the replies.
    It actually costs 25 points to upgrade the inquisitors LD to 10 (you have to buy a lord). Buying 2 hierophants still only gives you a bonus of 1 to his leadership. I usually give my inquisitor a retinue of 2 mystics, and 3 plasma warriors, 3 4+ save plasma guns for 60 points is a great deal. It's personal preference though, if you feel like you already have enough AP2 firepower then don't bother with it.

Is it that hard to believe that a stubborn blob will last longer than 10 vets in a chimera? I'm not necessarily advocating the blob, but it does have some uses (firebase, objective holder, bubble wrap.

Blobs do one thing that vets don't: win combats. It might shock you, but a comissar and three sergeants with power weapons nets 12 powered attacks. They'll beat tactical squads, bike squads even orks (especially if you're in cover). Likewise 30 lasguns becomes 90 shots (!) with orders or all three heavy weapons in the blob re-roll misses with Bring it Down!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast