BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 175 of 236 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2356
    Chapter-Master

It's cause it used to literally mean end of speed limit but then they changed it to national speed limit instead wasn't it?
    But no if it was about safety they'd go out and put the repeater signs up on the busier ones or the more dangerous ones and lower the limit, but they don't they only do it on the ones it's worth sticking a camera van.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Just because some people ignore the law, doesn't mean it's not worth maintaining it though.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

If we're talking about drinking and driving I'm all for more enforcement. There's plenty of times you see people and think "I bet they're over the limit" especially on quiet country roads where they're probably not going to see a police car.

If we're talking speeding it should be enforced properly by traffic officers along with other motoring offences (like dangerous driving, using a mobile phone, no insurance) not for a hundred yards by a camera and a postal fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I always felt the 60 on country lines was more because it was a waste of resources to make signs for it all, when very fer people speed anyway, because you have to be a lunatic to go down country lanes fast. It is technically 60 through the hamlet I grew up in, but there are several jinks in the village dodging barns and houses, so anyone going at that speed would likely crash into a wall, nevermind not be able to see oncoming vehicles (like tractors, blocking the entire road).
    Ah, but they're quieter. And at night, when it's most likely there'll be drink drivers on the road, you get up a decent speed due to headlights clearly showing someone coming the other way.

I live in Kent where we have lots of beautiful, leafy lanes to explore via car - and something like a Fiesta can be hurled round the corners at surprising speeds - so you do get people speeding!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

The fiesta being thrown round a corner too fast doesn't normally worry me, cause they'll normally be somewhere on their own side. The average non commercial 4x4 driver or anything with an audi/BMW badge on it seems to the think the solid white line is something to drive along - wouldn't want the shiney too near the hedge...

White lines? You mustn't be thinking of the same country lanes 'Splodge... Central lines are a rarity in rural Shropshire...
    MM, yeah, at night it is a somewhat different matter, and people do drive a bit too fast for lanes frequently, but it is generally hard to get up to dangerous speeds, more just speeds that would cause a minor accident usually. I know someone who wrote off their car coming down a lane in the middle of the night, only to have to veer off the road (into a ditch) due to spotting a muppet driving without lights at the last second, in the pitch black.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Though having said that, 4x4s seem to have it in for me today.

Took some sold models to Bracknell, as it's easier than posting. Thought I'd take the scenic, fun way home. Country lanes. Three 4x4's at different points driving too fast, full beam headlights, and didn't dip them.

Then I get home, and some arsehole has parked a 4x4 in the residents parking has managed to take up THREE spaces. The Beast is therefore now in the public car park. Will nip out around 11, see if the 4x4 has ****ed off (never seen it before, so probs a visitor. Hence the added indignation).
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

White lines? You mustn't be thinking of the same country lanes 'Splodge... Central lines are a rarity in rural Shropshire...
    Mostly rural derbyshire/staffordshire when I'm on country lanes and some have the line their even if a car won't physically fit between the line and hedge - whether through the hedge being unkempt or the line being wishful thinking who knows?

MM, yeah, at night it is a somewhat different matter, and people do drive a bit too fast for lanes frequently, but it is generally hard to get up to dangerous speeds, more just speeds that would cause a minor accident usually. I know someone who wrote off their car coming down a lane in the middle of the night, only to have to veer off the road (into a ditch) due to spotting a muppet driving without lights at the last second, in the pitch black.
    Yeah tbh I'm guilty of not slowing as much at night cause oncoming lights should give you more warning. Only works when they're on though

Chapter-Master

Brightside and Hillsborough by-election labour down to 15k votes from 22k at general election, turnout down 20%, vote share up 6%.
    UKIP 5K
    LD and conservatives about 1.3k each with LD about 100 in front.
    Everyone else <1k

Ms Furniss said: "Tonight the people of Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough have sent David Cameron an emphatic message: Mr Cameron we have had enough of your uncaring government. We have had enough of your Tory government's unfair cuts which have hit communities like ours in Sheffield so much more than affluent areas."

Idk if this actually means anything - its been labour since 1935 just about anyone in a red rosette would have won it.
    You expect lower numbers in a non general election year.

In the Scottish polls the SNP failed to secure an overall majority.

Share of the vote is the important thing though - especially when the knives were out for Corbyn the second he was elected to lead the party, by the party.

Increase share of the vote, even in a safe seat? That's still good going.

T Wells results to be counted this afternoon (because apparently, it can't possibly be done earlier)