BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I like Daemonhunters, but I'm also trying to avoid the flak of taking only the best units in their book. I play for fun, not to win. Winning is fun, but to me it isn't mandatory. I know someone who does use Grey Knights, and his choice in that is interesting because there's nothing else. His armies are always very small, so it's not like he's taking the game-breaker route. I could do a squad or two of Knights, but I would like to see what else Daemonhunters has to offer first.

[url]http://knightofultramar.wordpress.com/[/url]

Abbess Sanctorum

If you're playing for fun, then play for fun. Ignore the idiots who whine about X unit or Y wargear. 99% of the time they don't evefn know what they're talking about anyway, especially if they don't even play that army.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

I have a lot of fun with a psycannon Inq, 3 gun servitors (1 w/ plasma cannon) and two sages. My frequent opponents don't use DSing units, so the mystics usually don't come out and play. It's a ducky little unit, though, and even though DH pay through the nose for Chimeras I like 'em. Probably because I've got one all Inquisitor-ed out and I like to see it on the table. With 2 firing points on the old fashioned one, you can pump out quite alot of anti-infantry or anti-light vehicle fire when you're standing still. 3 Multi-laser + 3 Heavy Bolter + 3 psycannon + 3 Heavy Bolter OR 1 plasma cannon = ouch.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    If you're playing for fun, then play for fun. Ignore the idiots who whine about X unit or Y wargear. 99% of the time they don't evefn know what they're talking about anyway, especially if they don't even play that army.
    Especially if those best units are from WH or DH codex. There are some powerful units in both (mostly WH), but nothing that can even remotely called broken, with the sole exception of the DH Sanctuary power against Daemons (literally an auto-win button). Everything else is completely fair game.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Twisted View Post
    I like Daemonhunters, but I'm also trying to avoid the flak of taking only the best units in their book. I play for fun, not to win. Winning is fun, but to me it isn't mandatory. I know someone who does use Grey Knights, and his choice in that is interesting because there's nothing else. His armies are always very small, so it's not like he's taking the game-breaker route. I could do a squad or two of Knights, but I would like to see what else Daemonhunters has to offer first.

[url]http://knightofultramar.wordpress.com/[/url]
    The current problem with DH (and why I hope they and the other Inquisition get a codex SOON) is that all of their units are either AWESMOE or CRAP. There are no in-betweens. Either you have the Dakka-quisitor with ridiculous firepower and an infinite range psychic hood, or the Dreadnought that costs more than the basic space Marine dread with a non-rending assault cannon.

GK Terminators are a kind of stopgap unit. Probably the most fragile terminator unit in the game with no options for a 3+ invul save and the 4+ only working against one model for each carrier. They need a landraider because they won't survive a trip to the enemy otherwise, which is a pretty lousy reason to take a landraider. At least with that Assault Terminators unit, you know that a ridiculous amount of his army will need to direct fire against them. With the Grey Knights, it only takes about two ten-man squads of Space Marines getting into rapid-fire range.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by thecactusman17 View Post
    The current problem with DH (and why I hope they and the other Inquisition get a codex SOON) is that all of their units are either AWESMOE or CRAP. There are no in-betweens. Either you have the Dakka-quisitor with ridiculous firepower and an infinite range psychic hood, or the Dreadnought that costs more than the basic space Marine dread with a non-rending assault cannon.

GK Terminators are a kind of stopgap unit. Probably the most fragile terminator unit in the game with no options for a 3+ invul save and the 4+ only working against one model for each carrier. They need a landraider because they won't survive a trip to the enemy otherwise, which is a pretty lousy reason to take a landraider. At least with that Assault Terminators unit, you know that a ridiculous amount of his army will need to direct fire against them. With the Grey Knights, it only takes about two ten-man squads of Space Marines getting into rapid-fire range.
    GKT's are devestating on the charge, though. Our problem isn't our existing units (though basic Grey Knights should be 21-22pts per model, not 25), it's our lack of supporting units. You need something to hide your Land Raiders behind.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I run Daemonhunters with the Relictors, which are akin to traitor guard. The Daemon hunters, to me, aren't a culpable 5th edition army, but they have some abilities that are VERY advantageous. The Inquisitor, using the Mystics, can allocate a free shot on any deepstriking unit. Now that the new Tyranid Codex is out, we are seeing that there is a strong usage of deepstriking by every army. Allocating the free shot to a Thuunderfire Cannon or a Razorback with a TL LasCannon can be very nasty. I also find that the Psychic ability Scourging can be quite useful. Str 5 AP 5 ignoring Inv. saves with d6 shots. That can ruin a nasty units day if you roll well enough. Imagine the look on your opponents face when he drops his Zoanthropes next to your Land Raider with the Inquisitor nearby and the Inquisitor AP's his creatures that normally have a 3+ Invul save.

The Daemonhost are a solid choice if you don't plan on running Grey Knights...HOWEVER...they can be insta killed. That is their big drawback.

Finally, taking an Inquisitor allows the usage of an Assassin. The Callidus Assassin and the Vindicare are normally my preferred choice...but with the Psychic abilities of the 'Nids, the Culexus Assassin is suddenly very tempting.

I've been playing with this idea for quite some time...hope you find this helpful.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Nurgle View Post
    The Daemon hunters, to me, aren't a culpable 5th edition army, but they have some abilities that are VERY advantageous.
    Oh, we may be the weakest army in the game, but we can still win. I took 2nd place in a 1750pt tournament about two hours ago with a 3 LR list.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Oh, we may be the weakest army in the game, but we can still win. I took 2nd place in a 1750pt tournament about two hours ago with a 3 LR list.
    Oh, I know that you can still win. It just takes a lot of thought and originality. The Daemonhunters and their codex are one of my favorites in the game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123