BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

After finding the idea of the idea of Iron Hands Drop Pods (it will not die) amusing I double checked the rules for Unbound.
    Unbound says you can use whatever ‘Units’ from your collection you want. So yes, you can use dedicated transports but they will come with their contents. The dedicated transport can not carry anyone else when it deploys but the unit it was selected with RB pg 82. Deploying from orbit in this case.

So your choice is unbound taking as many drop pods as you want from the fast attack section of the Space Wolf or Blood Angels codex’s …
    Or
    Taking a combined (or some other) formation from Blood Angels or Space Wolves.

I was looking at
    Space Wolf HQ + 2 Blood Claw units (covering area of Sisters weakness) deploying in drop pods with an extra 3 fast attack drop pods for Sisters with Heavy Support been Deathstorm drop pods.
    But then I read about
    The Flesh Tearers Strike Force from Shield of Baal: Exterminatus. This apparently allows you to have Blood Angel HQ + Troop Unit + 6 (yes 6) Fast Attack choices which of course could be drop pods giving a ride for 5 units of Sisters

Not confirmed that this formation exists so that will need to be checked out.
    Last edited by DeSteele; 01-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DeSteele View Post
    The dedicated transport can not carry anyone else when it deploys but the unit it was selected with RB pg 82. Deploying from orbit in this case.
    Units in reserves are not deployed, and units can embark on transports in reserves.
    Thus your Retributors CAN embark on any Drop Pod (dedicated or not) when you declare your Reserves as neither unit is actually ever deployed.
    This is also a common tactic for Eldar players who put Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions in their Dark Eldar allies Raiders.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    Thus your Retributors CAN embark on any Drop Pod (dedicated or not) when you declare your Reserves as neither unit is actually ever deployed.
    This is also a common tactic for Eldar players who put Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions in their Dark Eldar allies Raiders.
    Ok from reading the rules on pg 135 I agree that been in reserve is not been deployed and you can embark on allies transports, dedicated or not.
    But arriving from reserve is 'deploying' on the table RB pg 135. Same for Deep Strike pg 162. So deploying dedicated transports falls under the dedicated transport rule discussed above.

I would presume the Raiders the Dark Eldar were using, were simply from their Fast Attack choices and not dedicated transports. … Unless they were very sneaky sneaky Dark Eldar

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DeSteele View Post
    Ok from reading the rules on pg 135 I agree that been in reserve is not been deployed and you can embark on allies transports, dedicated or not.
    But arriving from reserve is 'deploying' on the table RB pg 135. Same for Deep Strike pg 162. So deploying dedicated transports falls under the dedicated transport rule discussed above.

I would presume the Raiders the Dark Eldar were using, were simply from their Fast Attack choices and not dedicated transports. … Unless they were very sneaky sneaky Dark Eldar
    Well poop, you are correct. I missed that coming on from Reserves says you 'deploy' the unit. And while you can embark another unit in the transport during Reserves, it doesn't matter because it does specifically state that when the DT is deployed it can only carry the unit it was bought for.

Thank you for pointing that out!

Battle-Brother

Well poop, you are correct. I missed that coming on from Reserves says you 'deploy' the unit. And while you can embark another unit in the transport during Reserves, it doesn't matter because it does specifically state that when the DT is deployed it can only carry the unit it was bought for.

Thank you for pointing that out!
    I had to check that out myself looking for the word deploy

So now off to find a Blood Angel player.

Librarian

On a side note. I have my Space Marines painted as my own chapter which allows me to use whichever codex I want. Sometimes Dark Angels, but currently I use Blood Angels.
    They are purely in my collection to support my Sisters and I usually do Drop Pod Dreadnoughts (Lib, Chaplain, Furioso) or Deathwing. Purely a rear line distraction for my opponent.

Banned

There is no 'Dedicated Transport Role'.
    p120, Dedicated transports assume the role of the unit they were bought for. So a Drop Pod for a Tactical squad has the Troops role.
    The Role mostly matters for Objective Secured. So a Dedicated transport that has the 'Troops' Role (b/c it was bought for a Tactical Squad) also then would have Objective Secured in a CAD.
    Actually, there is a Dedicated Transport Role. It's that little title above the army list section that includes the Codex Razorback, Rhino, and Drop Pod. In the Rulebook, it classes this with "Other", meaning it is beyond the FOC of the Detachments that we normally use.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Actually, there is a Dedicated Transport Role. It's that little title above the army list section that includes the Codex Razorback, Rhino, and Drop Pod. In the Rulebook, it classes this with "Other", meaning it is beyond the FOC of the Detachments that we normally use.
    Huh? I don't fully understand you. The title of 'dedicated transport' is not a role. Battlefield Roles are defined on p119.

Rulebook p120 specifically states the Dedicated transport has the same Battlefield Role (p119) as the unit it was bought for although it does not take up a slot on the FOC. Hence a Rhino bought for a Tactical squad has the Troops Battlefield Role (and thus in a CAD also Objective Secured), whereas one bought for an Assault Squad would have the Fast Attack Battlefield Role.

Codex: Blood Angels has a Rhino listed under Fast Attack, but if you buy one as a Dedicated Transport for a Tactical Squad it becomes a Troops choice.

The Other Battlefield Role is not a 'if it doesn't fit anywhere else' class. It is still specific and states that other publications will introduce other types of Roles (e.g. Imperial Knights) and their rules.

Banned

Huh? I don't fully understand you. The title of 'dedicated transport' is not a role. Battlefield Roles are defined on p119.

Rulebook p120 specifically states the Dedicated transport has the same Battlefield Role (p119) as the unit it was bought for although it does not take up a slot on the FOC. Hence a Rhino bought for a Tactical squad has the Troops Battlefield Role (and thus in a CAD also Objective Secured), whereas one bought for an Assault Squad would have the Fast Attack Battlefield Role.

Codex: Blood Angels has a Rhino listed under Fast Attack, but if you buy one as a Dedicated Transport for a Tactical Squad it becomes a Troops choice.

The Other Battlefield Role is not a 'if it doesn't fit anywhere else' class. It is still specific and states that other publications will introduce other types of Roles (e.g. Imperial Knights) and their rules.
    Ah, see now, where is a Role defined? How do we know what Role a unit in an army list has? It is either right above its entry, or leads its group of Roles in the entry.

See, that page you state, carries things like HQ, Troops, etc, then there comes "Other", which is supposed to carry everything NOT listed. Codex/Dark Angels Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Drop Pods, are not listed in any other Role. So, it must be under "Other", which is titled as Dedicated Transport.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Ah, see now, where is a Role defined? How do we know what Role a unit in an army list has? It is either right above its entry, or leads its group of Roles in the entry.

See, that page you state, carries things like HQ, Troops, etc, then there comes "Other", which is supposed to carry everything NOT listed. Codex/Dark Angels Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Drop Pods, are not listed in any other Role. So, it must be under "Other", which is titled as Dedicated Transport.
    But p120 changes that and specifically states that Dedicated transports have the same Battlefield Role as the unit it is bought for.
    A Razorback bought as a dedicated transport for a Tactical squad is has the Troops Battlefield Role as per p120.
    Are we talking about something different?
    Also the Other Battlefield Role is not at all supposed to carry everything not otherwise listed. It specifies that the publication will have the rules for it's Battlefield Role.

- - - Updated - - -

And sorry to OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread but the Battlefield Role should be cleared up for anyone else that is confused.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast