BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Mistress of the Forum

Okay, people... as an official warning: I realize that this thread is supposed to be humorous, but the personal attacks are starting up again and I'm getting a little tired of seeing a ton of complaint emails when I'm supposed to be writing a 30 page paper that's due by tomorrow morning. BE NICE, PEOPLE!
    [CENTER][img]http://kysri.thesweetdreamery.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/eldarplayer.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

Goodbye
    Last edited by Aldramelech; 03-17-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Battle-Brother

Wait...I need to do this one joke...

What do you get when you cross a Female Space Marine and a Male Sister Of Battle?

Emperor's Childern...

I know lame...but I only got 2hrs on sleep...sue me

Grand Provost Marshal

[URL="http://instantrimshot.com/"]Rimshot![/URL]

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Samurai is a social class, but one unique to males. A "female samurai" would not really exist-- the closest that I recall would be something like "onna bugeisha", meaning something close to "female warrior of the buke class". But mind you, my knowledge of ancient Japanese culture isn't that complete, so you may very well be right.
    Here is evidence that your precious female Samurai exist. Google "Tomoe Gozen." So you will need to re-formulate your argument.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Here is evidence that your precious female Samurai exist. Google "Tomoe Gozen." So you will need to re-formulate your argument.

Duke
    It's Melissia, lol.
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Occuli Imperator

@Sangre: True, but we probably won't get time to hear the newly formulated argument because the thread will likely get closed before... As such Ill provide it for you "Shut up sangre!" lol

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

Duke
    I already know of Tomoe Gozen, that does not necessarily mean that she is a female samurai, only that we Westerners whom have know understanding of Japanese history and culture refer to her as such. I also know of Empress Jingu, Nakano Takeko, and Hojo Masako, amongst others. I'm not necessarily an expert, but I haven't seen any evidence that they were referred to as "Samurai", but rather by other terms.
    Last edited by Melissia; 01-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    I already know of Tomoe Gozen, that does not necessarily mean that she is a female samurai, only that we Westerners whom have know understanding of Japanese history and culture refer to her as such. I also know of Empress Jingu, Nakano Takeko, and Hojo Masako, amongst others.

"Tomoe Gozen (巴 御前?) (1157?–1247?) was one of the few examples of a true female warrior samurai in all of Japanese history. She was a samurai during the time of the Genpei War (1180–1185). Her name is pronounced [tomo.e]." - Wikipedia.

Wrong again Melissa. please find me a direct quote that says she is not a female Samurai.

It is really getting old how stubborn you are. Even when you are provided with a more substantial argument that has actual evidence you still refuse.

Duke
    Red text= mod voice

Abbess Sanctorum

If you want to quote wikipedia, I can too.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna_bugeisha[/url]
    [url]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_were_the_duties_of_the_female_samurai[/url]

And I can provide other links supporting my argument, no need to rely entirely on wikipedia, which is not acceptable as a scholastic reference (amusing fact, this very thread came up in the second page of my search)

[url]http://www.una.edu/faculty/takeuchi/DrT_Jpn_Culture_files/Nihon_to_files/Female_samurai.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Onna-bugeisha[/url]

Yes, I'm stubborn, but your link proved nothing. As I said before, the concept of gender-specific terms is something that many Westerners-- particularly Americans whom quite frequently know only one language (and even barely that sometimes...), the type of person whom edits Wikipedia most frequently-- do not quite grasp. Samurai is one of them.
    Last edited by Melissia; 01-07-2010 at 05:37 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast