BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What combo of weapons?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 Volley Guns

1 9.09%
  • 4 Plasma Guns

3 27.27%
  • No special weapons, just Hot-shot Lasguns.

3 27.27%
  • 2 Volley Guns, 2 Plasma Guns

4 36.36%

Default Astra Militarum Scions - Volley Gun or Plasma Gun?

I'm putting together two ten-men squads of Tempestus Scions.

I cannot decide which of the two weapons is best to go for. The squads' purpose is that of MEQ killers. So, what do I do?

1.) Go with the Hot-shot Volley Gun, to increase their efficacy in this role.
    2.) Go with the Plasma Gun, as a hard counter in case they run into TEQs.
    3.) Save the points and stick with the standard Hot-shot Lasgun.
    4.) One squad with two Volley Guns, one squad with two Plasma guns.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Volley gun/Plasma gun mix. I feel the Volley gun is a generally better choice (Gets Hot is never really worth the risk for me), but that the Salvo nature of the weapon limits its viability somewhat.

What do other people think?
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

I'd stick with good ol' imperial plasma. It kills everything with legs. Stormies have an ok armor save that somewhat mitigates the dangers of getting hot, and rapid fire weapons are a bit more mobile and aggressive than salvo ones.

I'd go with the volleyguns if I knew they'd be a stationary defensive unit for the majority of the game though. If I wanted them zooming around wasting fools I'd keep plasma though.

Chaplain

I second that. Plasma works against anything and in an AM list they get the chance to ignore cover with Orders. Really makes Marines nervous.

Veteran-Sergeant

Im planing on something similar but with 3 squads. One with melta, one with plasma and on with volley. I may only run 1 - 2 of the squads at a time but I like having my bases covered.

I use my Stormies as kamikaze shock troops, so I tend to build them min/max for either tank killing, or Termie killing, then deep striking. Volley guns in my mind seem slightly static, basically being half heavy weapons, forcing you to use them like vets in trasports, or small unit snipers.

Ap3 is a neat trick, but marines die pretty easy to massed lasguns and heavy ordinance, things you should also have.

Though, it sounds like it would be fun to do a full squad and treat them like guard of the line, and stick them in the dead center of an aegis defense line.

Volley Gun for me. Mostly because it looks really sweet.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Are you taking them as part of a Militarum Tempestus detachment or an Astra Militarum detachment? The different orders available to the Prime make quite a difference here IMO. In a MT force, I would leave the squads bare-bones, because then they can gain full effect from the (quite nasty) order that turns their Hotshot lasguns into mobile snipers- special weapons don't benefit from this.
    In an AM force, the orders are more useful for special weapons, such as giving them Ignores Cover.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.