BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why the new psychic phase is a good thing!

Now that i have your attention hear me out. I play Eldar only and I really like how the psychic phase is turning out. But I hear many players scream and shout as they fear that an all psychic army will be the new deathstar. It won't and here is the reason why:

What we already know about the psychic phase:
    It's between movement and shooting.
    The acting player rolls a D6. Both players get the D6+mastery levels in their armies as power dice.
    To cast a power you need as many 4+ as the power has warpcharges.
    You can deny the witch on any power, even blessings. DtW is a 6+ and can be modified to a better roll.
    You can use as many dice as you want to cast or deny.
    Perils of the Warp is on any double 6 you roll. Malefic powers suffer a peril on any doubles. DtW can't peril.
    Peril result is a D6 table with potentially devastating results.

Chances to succesfully cast a warpcharge 1 power:
    1 dice: 50%
    2 dice: 75%
    3 dice: 87.5 %
    4 dice: 93.75%

Chances to succesfully cast a warpcharge 2 power:
    2 dice: 25%
    3 dice: 50%
    4 dice: 68%
    5 dice: 81.25%

Examples:
    1 masterylevel: D6+1 power dice. Average of 4.5 dice.
    4.5 dice per warpcharge.
    -> good chance to cast the one power.

3 masterylevels: D6+3 power dice. Average of 6.5 dice.
    2.167 dice per warpcharge.
    -> above average chance to cast powers.

5 masterylevels: D6+5 power dice. Average of 8.5 dice.
    = 1.7 dice per warpcharge
    -> You won’t be able to cast several powers.

10 masterylevels: D6+10 dice. Average of 13.5 dice.
    = 1.35 dice per power.
    -> You may successfully cast just over half your powers.

The more psykers you have, the less chance you'll have to cast all the powers. More psykers gives you a dimnishing return on dice per power. You will have more dice to throw at some few powers, but you will only cast a fraction of what you could before. And with more dice used, there’s a very high chance of perils too.

In 6th if you are able to succesfully cast most powers, even with 10 psykers in your army.

I really like the change. It means balanced armies with one or two psykers have a good chance to cast their powers. Psychic heavy armies won't be able to spam their powers, but have a high chance to succeed those they choose to cast. Very nicely done.
    Deny the witch seems to be stronger too. You can throw all your dice at the one power you really want to stop and have a reasonably good chance to do it.

We still don't know everything yet. Things like shadows of the warp, runes of warding, ghosthelm, spell familiar and more are still unknown. But so long the new 7th shapes up to be a very fun edition!
    Last edited by Weidekuh; 05-16-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Librarian

You lost me at

Quote Originally Posted by Weidekuh View Post
    I play Eldar...
    but get down with your bad self.

:-)
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    You lost me at

but get down with your bad self.

:-)
    There are people who played Eldar before the new dex. And some of them might not even play Jetseer or Beaststar at all you know.

Chaplain

If it all works the way you gathered won't the few powers the balanced list can cast be denied pretty easily?

All I know is I never had the feeling my armies were unreasonably psyker heavy and will now be able to do far less (All my psykers previously used Ld10 to cast their powers, that's a lot of dice I need to reach that level of proficiency).

I still have hopes for the rumor the neede dice roll can be lowered to 3+ but I haven't done the math what it would mean if that would be true.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Weidekuh View Post
    There are people who played Eldar before the new dex. And some of them might not even play Jetseer or Beaststar at all you know.
    I haven't played them in decades but recently did a renovation and recovery job on a box of random metal and plastic that will yield me 30 odd old metal guardians, some swooping hawks, and ickle squads of dire avengers and fire dragons. There were also two blokes with swords and a dood with a long wavey stick, so I'm guessing I'll have to get a handle on how this new psyker phase works (if I can find anyone to play 7th that is...).
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

I haven't played them in decades but recently did a renovation and recovery job on a box of random metal and plastic that will yield me 30 odd old metal guardians, some swooping hawks, and ickle squads of dire avengers and fire dragons. There were also two blokes with swords and a dood with a long wavey stick, so I'm guessing I'll have to get a handle on how this new psyker phase works (if I can find anyone to play 7th that is...).
    Dude for all the whining about 'it's broken to hell' people will still play it, then word will get out it's actually probably better than 6th (which I preferred to 5th incidentally) and all will be well; the sky won't fall anymore than it did before, people will play it and enjoy except for the WAAC players who perhaps suddenly find that any DS list they come up with can be countered.
    Astra Miliwotsit? You're in the Guard now son....

In Fantasy you get 2 dice worth and the other guy gets the highest dice worth to dispel. so depending on the armies this system will be either less or more powerful.

Also lets assume the perils table is at least as deadly as the miscast table, i've played games where my Wizard did more damage to himself and his mates than the other side did...

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by John Bower View Post
    Dude for all the whining about 'it's broken to hell' people will still play it, then word will get out it's actually probably better than 6th (which I preferred to 5th incidentally) and all will be well; the sky won't fall anymore than it did before, people will play it and enjoy except for the WAAC players who perhaps suddenly find that any DS list they come up with can be countered.
    'People' probably will have a blast with it, my gaming audience is two other similarly old crotchety doods who have plenty of other things to keep themselves entertained like Dreadball, Deadzone, Kings of War, Flames of War, Bolt Action and, on occasion, Warhammer 2522.

One of them has already been very vocal about how he won't be changing up, decorum prevents me from using his actual words, but he's had just about enough of formations, dataslates and sell-at-all-costs game design.

I could go looking for new people to play with, but I don't want to get tabled by some hipster half my age

One of them has already been very vocal about how he won't be changing up, decorum prevents me from using his actual words, but he's had just about enough of formations, dataslates and sell-at-all-costs game design.

I could go looking for new people to play with, but I don't want to get tabled by some hipster half my age
    Emperor forbid that GW give us new toys to play with.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Boofhead View Post
    Emperor forbid that GW give us new toys to play with.
    Did he? I guess someone's in trouble then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast