BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Baneblade av12 on rear. Yeah the 3 bs5 fliers will cane a baneblade over 3 to 4 turns at most. I cant see how someone would find the use of an apoc style unit acceptable only to tell another player his apoc style unit is not acceptable. Seems hypocritical. Both units are more powerful than codex units and leave the FOC alone. The 3 fliers clock in at over 550pts maxxed out pretty similar to a baneblade. Mass flier spam is just as disruptive to pickup games as a lone super hev.
    Right, which is why I said I'd rather have a gentlemen's agreement not to play with flyers for most games. Its no fun to play against a flyer heavy list if you don't have any anti-air. Its no fun to play against a baneblade if it takes your entire army 4 turns to kill it which means you aren't killing his other stuff and he's wiping out numerous units a turn. Its no fun to play against a screamer star that's got a re-rollable invuln save using biomancy/divination combo.

Any time you've got a near invulnerable unit or chunk of units on the other side, its just not a fun game. So for casual games you come to an agreement about what you want to play. For tournaments you know what is allowed and plan accordingly.

I don't think the FOC changes are really a big deal, but I've never run into problems with not having enough slots. I mean, the best heavy slot for marines is also dedicated transport, so you can get more than you have points for in a sub 2000 point game.

Also, how are you getting those flyers in the rear several turns in a row without going into hover mode and then getting blasted out of the sky? Last I checked they didn't have any of those cheap tricks eldar or CSM use.

PS: The formation only changes one of the 3 flyers to BS 5, 2 of them are already BS 5. So it really is a minor benefit. Of course, the cheese thing to do, since its another detachment, is to say "this flyer detachment is an iron hands detachment" to get free FNP despite the rest of your army being whichever you prefer.

First-Captain

You know I've been waiting for something like this for my army, in the fluff i've been working on my space marines don't use tanks as their homeworld is mostly sand or water, impractical for heavy tanks, so they devoloped an extenisive arsenal of flyers that can transport troops to make up, and this new dataslab will almost certainly be my first GW digital purchase, two of these wings will go lovely with my 4 tactical squads, devestator squad, drop pods, terminator squad and my scouts (who I still need to buy a Storm for)...

Highly Mobile army at the ready.....

Now I just have to save up and buy the box sets if they don't sell out before boxing day when I next get paid.....

And paint the whole lot which are still waiting to be painted, sigh real life is inconvienent.....

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    PS: The formation only changes one of the 3 flyers to BS 5, 2 of them are already BS 5. So it really is a minor benefit. Of course, the cheese thing to do, since its another detachment, is to say "this flyer detachment is an iron hands detachment" to get free FNP despite the rest of your army being whichever you prefer.
    There's a rule tucked in there that says the storm wing doesn't get any benefit from chapter tactics, so no iron hands it will not die.

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
    There's a rule tucked in there that says the storm wing doesn't get any benefit from chapter tactics, so no iron hands it will not die.
    I'm not seeing that. On the other hand, vehicles don't get chapter tactics on their own so they would need a model with the iron hands chapter tactics in the same detachment, which they can't get since the formation detachment is all vehicles.

But yeah, with the advent of armies allying with themselves (basically) I'm not real concerned about expansions to the force org chart. The only important thing these days is the two troops + HQ requirement, there are ways to get just about anything else you want. And over 2k double force org makes limitations even more pointless.

The digital editions facebook page says it's waiting approval for the ipad version but it's in the mobi already.

Quoting from facebook it's “Independent Formation: The Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing Formation does not benefit from the Chapter Tactics special rule, but units from Codex: Space Marines that are included in the same army can begin the game embarked on the Stormraven Gunship, and can embark on it during the game.”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Dataslate - Storm Wing.” iBooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor View Post
    The digital editions facebook page says it's waiting approval for the ipad version but it's in the mobi already.

Quoting from facebook it's “Independent Formation: The Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing Formation does not benefit from the Chapter Tactics special rule, but units from Codex: Space Marines that are included in the same army can begin the game embarked on the Stormraven Gunship, and can embark on it during the game.”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop Ltd. “Dataslate - Storm Wing.” iBooks.
    Odd, because I have the interactive ipad version, and it doesn't say that anywhere in mine. It may be it'll get an update to match.

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    Right, which is why I said I'd rather have a gentlemen's agreement not to play with flyers for most games. Its no fun to play against a flyer heavy list if you don't have any anti-air. Its no fun to play against a baneblade if it takes your entire army 4 turns to kill it which means you aren't killing his other stuff and he's wiping out numerous units a turn. Its no fun to play against a screamer star that's got a re-rollable invuln save using biomancy/divination combo.

Any time you've got a near invulnerable unit or chunk of units on the other side, its just not a fun game. So for casual games you come to an agreement about what you want to play. For tournaments you know what is allowed and plan accordingly.
    <snip>

This I don't get. Flyers are a part of the game just as much as are Chariots or Skimmers. Every army has units that are there only to shoot them down. If you play a army with no AA, then its your fault if you get overwhelmed not your opponent. The Super Heavies are totally different. There is no Defense fore Str D weapons. To equate them is wrong. To be clear I would play against a supper heavy and probably get whipped off the table just for the fun of it, but if I agreed to play with some one and they pulled one out, with out prior agreement, I would have a real bad taste in my mouth. If I lost to a Flyer list I would just not let that happen again by making sure I had a flyer or a AA tank next time, easy fix.

Also, how are you getting those flyers in the rear several turns in a row without going into hover mode and then getting blasted out of the sky? Last I checked they didn't have any of those cheap tricks eldar or CSM use.
    I have thought I would try and use a librarian with the invisibility psyker power to keep my Raven in one piece.
    Last edited by Lord Lorne Walkier; 12-05-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling.

It's def enables choices for marine players now. It's been mentioned over and over that elites and heavies are congested so now you don't require an allied HQ or troops choice to grab a raven. In my current fists list I'm using the 3 slots for dev squads, an allied in thunderfire, and now I can grab a raven if I really want one with the talons I already planned on taking. Does it mention anything about chapter tactics since IH vehicles get the IWND?

well, apparently my DA can have a stormraven and pair of storm talons now...

Fly Lord

Latest from the tubes:

6th: Warlords of the Dark Millennium: Tigurius
    7th: Battlescroll: Creatures of the Chaos Wastes
    8th: Dataslate: Eldar Ghost Warriors
    9th: Battlescroll: Crypt Scavengers
    10th: Index Chaotica: Terminus Est
    11th: Dataslate: Centurion Siegebreaker Cohort
    12th: Dataslate: Reclusiam Command Squad
    13th: Warlords of the Dark Millennium Vulkan He’stan
    14th: Warhammer: Vanguard Clash

UPDATED: Scroll down
    Last edited by Bigred; 12-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast