BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Librarian

Default Is Fulgrim Fulgrim? or has the daemon bound with in the Lear sword taken him over?

I'm pretty up to date on most of the Horus heresy series but for the love of me i cannot understand if Fulgrim is in control of himself or if the Daemon is?

There was that short story where Fulgrim claims he bested the Daemon, and is now in control of his own body. Of course, we don't know if that wasn't just the daemon lying.

My take is that the "Fulgrim's possessed by a daemon" thing received a mixed reaction from the fanbase, so that short story was released to allow people to pick the version they like the best.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    There was that short story where Fulgrim claims he bested the Daemon, and is now in control of his own body. Of course, we don't know if that wasn't just the daemon lying.

My take is that the "Fulgrim's possessed by a daemon" thing received a mixed reaction from the fanbase, so that short story was released to allow people to pick the version they like the best.
    Gets even more complicated in exterminatus, when he ascends to daemonhood.

Do you have possesed daemonic primarch's? Personally I think its more complex than that, I'd say its also irrelevant, fulgrim is possesed and isn't at the same time is my take, then another alternative is that the daemon now believes it IS fulgrim....atleast thats the vibe you get in reflection cracked
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Captain

I feel much more satisfied thinking that Fulgrim is trapped in his own painting, eternally looking out in horror at what has become of his legion and the universe as a result of his own stupidity.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    I feel much more satisfied thinking that Fulgrim is trapped in his own painting, eternally looking out in horror at what has become of his legion and the universe as a result of his own stupidity.
    +1 BOLS chum.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    +1 BOLS chum.
    QFT

i think the narcissism of fulgrim was what split his personality, the vain sadistic side was groomed by the demon.
    then the 'normal' fulgrim wsas trapped in the painting with the act of killing the artists both during and post maraviglia, as a final act of desperation........... maybe he thought that he could be restored one day.

so simply fulgrim accepted the demon and in that acceptance split his personality.

Whatever is driving Fulgrim's body around definitely thinks itself Fulgrim. From Angel Exterminatus, page 184:
    ". . . and though its blade no longer held the shard of the creature that had shown him the darkest secrets of the galaxy . . ."

Personally, I like the idea of it being the real Fulgrim still in charge, but he got there by being more daemonic than the daemon; Fulgrim always seeks perfection, and since there's no going back, he decided to be perfectly evil, which I would say he achieved, judging by the sheer dickishness of everything he does in AE.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Brother-Captain

I think it was a case of some people complaining that it wasn't him in control, so they put him back in control... maybe.

Because you know, screw the tragedy of that book (well, sort of tragedy, the galaxy is a better place without Fulgrim regardless), it's not like the entire point was that he was forever doomed to a hopeless existence. Bringing him back kind of ruined the events of Fulgrim. All of that lead-up, the betrayal, and then the intense sorrow for killing Ferrus, all rendered mute because he got back in control and sided with Chaos anyway. Not so, however, if it's as some of you guys are saying, and it's a twisted mixture of Fulgrim and daemon. That would be pretty cool.

I also found it daft that he had apparently been somehow transported from his own mind back to the painting. I get that they were going for a Dorian Grey kind of thing, but I don't see why he would have moved from his mind to the painting, it just seems tacked on.

As said above though, who knows what mixture of Fulgrim and the daemon is there now. It could be shards of both, pieced together into a not-quite-fitting jigsaw of conciousness. Crazy stuff.

I think it plays really well. For the most part, Deamonic possession is portrayed as happening to the weak minded, or those who actively invite it.

Fulgrim fell into neither of these categories.

As for exactly who or what Fulgrim becomes/became/remains is precisely what the HH series does best. Answers many questions, fills in a lot of blanks, whilst ensuring there are many new questions and blanks left in their place.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

There are bits and pieces from the "The Primarchs" short story that Fulgrim is indeed back in full control

During the scene in the crystal forest, why would Fulgrim show the deamon a dead ferrus to try and make him feel regret. The deamon had no connection to Ferrus.

At the last Black Library event in Dublin. Graham confirmed that it was always in the plans for Fulgrim to take back his body.

Basically the Deamon "captures" Fulgrim, this allows Slaanesh to corrupt him to the point of worship, so that hes powerful enough to take over again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast