BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eldar Tactica

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Edwards View Post
    Actually they are even more insane than that. They can move 12" in their movement phase and then turbo-boost in the shooting phase up to 36". So they can move up to 48" a turn!
    I'd missed that.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Makes it all the more sweet that I've done a Seer Council on Jetbikes Conversion that is soon to be unleashed...

As for the Assault Phase movement, it's 2d6".
    Although not if they've Turbo Boosted that turn.

I've heard mumblings that the Hornet light tank in IA 2 2013 is cheap and killy now, something about 80 points for two Pulse Lasers . . . anyone confirm?

Veteran-Sergeant

I've heard that Hornet's are 'really good' now, but I don't have the new IA Apocalypse book yet Garradh. I promised my bro I wouldn't buy it so he could give it to me as a B-day present, heh heh.

Curious what folks thoughts on running 3 Wraithknights? I've run two for awhile now and just finished putting together a third.

Basically I give up AA for the third Wraithknight. Iyanden would of course make it even more crazy IMO, but I run a Swordwind army.

3 Wraithknight build...

Farseer with Jetbike, Singing Spear, Shard of Anaris and The Spirit Stone of Anath'lan
    Warlock with Jetbike and Singing Spear
    2x 9 Dire Avengers/Exarch with Power Weapon and Shimmershield with WS 2x Brightlance and Holo-fields
    9 Windrider Jetbike with 3x SC
    3x Wraithknight's with Ghostglaive/Scattershield and 2x Starcannon

1847pts

2x Wraithknight build...

Farseer with Uldanorethi Long Rifle
    2x Warlock with Singing Spear and Jetbike
    2x 8 Dire Avengers with WS 2x Brightlance and Holo-field
    2x 6 Windrider Jetbike with 2 SC
    5 Dark Reapers/Exarch with Starshot Missiles, Fast Shot, Marksman Eye, Missile Launcher and Flak Missiles
    2x Wraithknight with Ghostglaive/Scattershield 2x Starcannon
    Skyshield Landing Pad

1844pts

I can drop both down to 1750pts, I haven't played around with 1500pts yet. I'm really curious what folks think. I've gone up against Space Wolves, Dark Angels, ,Tau, Ultramarines, Orks, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, and Necron so far. I've only run the 2 Wraithknight build at my LGS so far, but I'll be running both this weekend.

Chaplain

Question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0687.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	5336

The picture is an experiment to see if it could be done. But Scorpions are my favourite CC unit at the moment. The question is, are Wraithblades worth the price and even more so is there a use for the axe and shield job? I spoke to a lad who uses the Wraithblades but with just the ghost swords. Argues that is all you need and anything with a 2+ Sv gets shot.

In my experience a unit of wraithblades (with shields) and a fortuneseer (i know, bit random but not impossible) is a very tough nut to crack. They are a bit slow but there are some powers and so on to negate that, or use some serpents to get them where they need to be. Also, they are one heck of a fire magnet.

Yeah, I really want the new Forgeworld book for the Hornets and to see if maybe the Firestorm has gone down to a reasonable points cost.

Also, don't discount that your Dire Avenger exarch can still toss a grenade if he goes with the shimmershield =D

It may be a little random but it being STR4, AP4 and his awesome BS makes it pretty darn unlikely you'll have an accident. It's a free shot if somehow they are almost in assault range.

Nice write-up, Learn2Eel. One small mistake in it that I don't think anyone else has picked up on. You state that the Vaul's Wrath Support Battery's default weapon is a Barrage Small Blast with Str and AP of 6.

That sounded off to me so I've just double-checked (got the book right in front of me). Default weapon for Vaul's Wrath is the Shadow Weaver and this is given as a Large Blast. Woo hoo!

EDIT: Bother. I checked the main part of the book after posting and the book actually contradicts itself. The text in the body of the book says "Blast" and the profile sheet at the back of the book says "Large Blast". I've just found a FAQ for the Codex on the GW site and apparently it's an error. It is supposed to be "Blast".

Bother. If I hadn't read your Tactica I could have carried on in ignorance!
    Last edited by knas ser; 11-17-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Chapter-Master

Cheers for the response mate!

Yeah it was an unfortunate change I noticed as well, but then I guess the Shadow Weavers would have been a bit too good for their points if they had stayed as large blasts. Still a great weapon choice on a very cheap artillery unit!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    Cheers for the response mate!

Yeah it was an unfortunate change I noticed as well, but then I guess the Shadow Weavers would have been a bit too good for their points if they had stayed as large blasts. Still a great weapon choice on a very cheap artillery unit!
    Yeah. Even as a woefully biased Eldar player, I'm forced to admit Large Barrage would be too good for the points. But what a shame!

I still like them. Can't wait to try them out sometime. The reduction at least makes it a bit easier to choose sometimes now. In this list I was putting together, it was tempting to give up my Fire Prism for a unit of them. Quite frankly with the range on those things and Pinning from the Barrage, I still like them. If it weren't for their taking up all those precious Heavy Support slots, I'd probably have 3x3 of them for high infantry devastation. As it is, the Fire Prisms delicious range and ability to switch to Large Blast with AP3 lets it eat in on Shadow Weaver territory for me.

I've not yet used a Night Spinner. Just doesn't seem worthwhile compared to other options.

Quote Originally Posted by knas ser View Post
    Yeah. Even as a woefully biased Eldar player, I'm forced to admit Large Barrage would be too good for the points. But what a shame!

I still like them. Can't wait to try them out sometime. The reduction at least makes it a bit easier to choose sometimes now. In this list I was putting together, it was tempting to give up my Fire Prism for a unit of them. Quite frankly with the range on those things and Pinning from the Barrage, I still like them. If it weren't for their taking up all those precious Heavy Support slots, I'd probably have 3x3 of them for high infantry devastation. As it is, the Fire Prisms delicious range and ability to switch to Large Blast with AP3 lets it eat in on Shadow Weaver territory for me.

I've not yet used a Night Spinner. Just doesn't seem worthwhile compared to other options.

Night Spinners have been great for me. One thing to keep in mind is that barrage hits side armor on vehicles and that due to lack of initiative values on them the gun hits at +1S. So there's a little more flexibility here that you might see at first glance.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast