BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I only have play in a small group and can honestly say there is nothing but very frendly rivelry between me and 4 of the other 5 players... The 5th player though... Now there is a problem. To start with he is my younger brother. At 29 and 27 we are not kids... But still... In 5th my Blood Angels spent years kicking his fishy bum from one end of the table to the other. In 6th sadly (for me) the tables have turned. When we all get together to play me and 'our kid' always play last for fear of it kicking off and ruining every ones night! Luckly for me the other members of the group are childhood friends and dont get to flustered by our frequintly pathetic behavour.

He is just so Damn unreasonable. He missreads rules and gets angry if I mention it to him. If I ask him to show me a rule in his codex which he so frequently missinterprets and he is correct the waves of smugness make me feel sick. When the rules and the Codexs fell in my favour I took all sorts of fun lists to 'give him a chance' he has never repaid the favour! Always taking the latest trend in Ultra Tau spammed copied off the internet taurnamnet winning super list! Argh! I am angry just thinking about that smug little face of his as my assault squads wither under his over watch fire... Stupid Tau! Stupid Brother! Stupid 6th! Stupid over watch with supporting fire!

OK big breath. I'm calm now.

Of course he would say the same about me. He is wrong though.

Does anyone else have a rival who ruins the game for them? And if I'm being honest probably ruins it for them too.

Librarian

For me it depends on the game. usually the games go pretty smoothly but every once in a while certain arguments come out from certain players. A scatter dice that even when scatters some how is beneficial for your opponent but not for you. measurements that seem to go an extra inch or two it all depends on what happens. for my i will admit this weekend went 0-2 same list vs tau first game lost on my scoring units were dead while he army was dead minus 1 troop and one annoying command unit and drones. that one was a disappointing loss but it was down to the last turn. game to came after watching a DVD of strike back to break up the day. game 2 was over by round 2. At that point it wasn't even close to being the end of the day but i just couldn't stomach tau cheese any longer so i threw in the towel. for me it was about salvaging the remainder of the night for him its an edition and a codex that he is winning with as opposed to loosing or drawing. Mostly the arguments stay civil but sometimes they break down. it all comes down to the environment. last edition i didn't even play my grey knights and my wolves got a month's worth of use before i put them away after hearing the endless winning and complaining about how this was broken or that was cheesy. What i can say is take it as it is. this edition will continue to favor tau until their is some massive shift in the edition. (which i highly doubt we will see) So what you can do is do as i am doing. use it as a challenge and a chance to work on sportsmanship.

What i tend to do is try and get another player to act as a judge and an arbitrator. when something comes up some one else will pop in take a look weather its line of sight. ( yes it does put your buddy in the hot seat) It's not the best set up but then again they don't always write the clearest of rules.

I know i can probably commiserate with you when it comes to the bloody cow's... Between solid shots that ignore cover and line of sight to a massive wall of over watch to T4 drones to paying practically nothing for upgrades (1pt darksun filters i'm looking at you) to their other shenanigans. But alas right now you have to pretty much keep running your face into that brick wall or dimply don't play him. those are the 2 options. i know me I've begun to bring in forge world to change things up.

I know that if i just toss out the last game and focus on the first game i can say it was enjoyable it not a little disheartening but still enjoyable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12