BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default 2,000 Tau - all comers

Hey guys! First I'd like to start by saying I designed this list for games at my local game store. I am hoping it will be challenging for my club's competitive guys, fun for the newer guys (and a nice introduction to Tau Firepower lol), but also have most of its bases covered. I intend on running this for a while and even taking it to cons if it performs admirably.

HQ
    172 Commander (Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Iridium Armor, Puretide Engram Neurochip, 2 Shield Drones)
    50 Ethereal

TROOPS
    90 10 Fire Warriors
    90 10 Fire Warriors
    180 10 Fire Warriors (Devilfish, Point Defense Targeting Relay)
    180 10 Fire Warriors (Devilfish, Point Defense Targeting Relay)

ELITES
    210 Riptide (Ion Accelerator, Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override)
    171 3 Crisis Suits (Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Counterfire Defense Systems)
    171 3 Crisis Suits (Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Counterfire Defense Systems)

FAST ATTACK
    88 8 Pathfinders
    88 8 Pathfinders

HEAVY SUPPORT
    181 Hammerhead (Longstrike, Disruption Pods, Automated Repair System, Blacksun Filter)
    327 3 Broadsides (Twin Linked High Yield Missile Pod, Twin Linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker, 6 Missile Drones)

1,998 pts, 4 Scoring Units, 85 models, 3 vehicles
    So the Commander attaches to the Broadside unit to make the Missile Drones BS5 and also to give the whole unit Tank Hunters or Monster Hunters if needed (though he'd have to forego shooting of course). He will sit in the front of the unit to absorb shots and he can Look Out Sir to the Shield Drones and then Missile Drones if needed. This unit has a ridiculous amount of shooting, and with Skyfire on the Broadsides, they can put some hurtin' on any flyer that dares to come within 36 inches.

Speaking of which, the Riptide also has Skyfire (and Interceptor) so he can lend Anti-Air fire support or he can plop a S8 (or S9) AP2 Large Blast (along with a S6 AP2 rapid-fire weapon) on anything that arrives from reserves. The Ethereal chills with the Fire Warrior block for Ld 10 and Invocation shenanigans, and the Devilfish have Supporting Fire too thanks to their upgrade. The Crisis Suits are my main heavy armor/elite infantry hunters and can fire overwatch at BS2, and then my two Pathfinder units are at the perfect unit size in my opinion. 8 Pathfinders firing Markerlights at BS3 means roughly 4 should hit. Another unit can then use 2 Markerlights to remove all cover from the target unit, and then use the remaining 2 to increase their BS by 2.

And then we come to the Hammerhead. I figured if I'm going to take one, it's going to be the mighty Rail Cannon at BS5 and a re-roll on armor penetration rolls, and to protect that hefty investment I'd make sure it can always see the board (ignoring Night Fight) and be able to potentially repair its main weapon should it get destroyed.

Well, what do you guys think?
    "Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama
    Like my posts and ideas? Visit my Blog! http://www.dave40k.blogspot.com

2 quick points.

Hammerhead - Longstrike already has a Blacksun Filter. Its only 1 point but still...

Drone Controllers dont work with Missile Drones. Its in the item description. Sniper, Gun and Marker Drones only.

Chapter-Master

You really should add drones.
    They are vital to the safety of the squads.

1) T4: eventually, you might have majority toughness
    2) I4: no brain-er. I2 cannot run from combat, but I4 can. Use highest I in test.
    3) vectored thrusters: see #2.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

I know I am a noob and haven't read the new codex but no Kroot or hand to hand troops? I take it you intend to shoot them off the board?
    Trying to build a tau army
    How long will this take

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Minibem View Post
    I know I am a noob and haven't read the new codex but no Kroot or hand to hand troops? I take it you intend to shoot them off the board?
    Kroot are more of a shooting unit than a combat one. In fact all Tau units are better at shooting than combat.
    For the Greater good.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Minibem View Post
    Nope. I prefer Fire Warriors instead of Kroot, just personal preference. And yes, Tau don't typically prefer Hand to Hand, so that is usually the goal lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    2 quick points.

Hammerhead - Longstrike already has a Blacksun Filter. Its only 1 point but still...

Drone Controllers dont work with Missile Drones. Its in the item description. Sniper, Gun and Marker Drones only.
    Derp. Thanks for that. So after dropping BSF on the Hammerhead and Drone Controller on the Commander, I'll have 11 total points free (the list was at 1,998). I could make that another Pathfinder for exactly 2k...

So after those changes, any thoughts? I just got the rest of my Tau today so I'll be building it all and running this list tomorrow at my LGS.
    Last edited by The Dave; 04-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.

I'm 90% sure that you can still shoot using the Puretide Engram. Not got my codex but I'm sure the only Don't shoot to use equipment is the Re-roll to hit and the ignore cover ones (which don't work together)

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O Alohcry View Post
    I'm 90% sure that you can still shoot using the Puretide Engram. Not got my codex but I'm sure the only Don't shoot to use equipment is the Re-roll to hit and the ignore cover ones (which don't work together)
    I think you may be right. I'll certainly check though.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    Just looked this up, Longstrike does NOT have a Blacksun Filter, so now that I made the list 2k, I'm going to add that back in and make it 2,001 points. :P

Chapter-Master

I still think you should add drones.
    They can seriously help your squads.
    I4 is nothing to sniffle at!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast