BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    MWG STORE is shutting down. There fixed it for you . The fabulous website will keep going and I just signed up for vault membership. Also Def as Matthew says in the video, they are not closing the store just because of this new policy, it was the nail in the coffin for sure but not the only contributing factor.
    He said that they would have not have closed had it not been for this policy as well.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    He said that they would have not have closed had it not been for this policy as well.
    But he also said it wasn't the only contributing factor, dude if your going to quote someone then do it in full context at around 50 seconds into the video he says " it's not completely games workshops fault"
    Last edited by Deadlift; 03-20-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

First-Captain

Actually, they said how they would be waiting for this moment and hoped "it would come in a year". They were clearly planning this, but GW pushed it forwards. Besides they are still stocking magnets and that dark game.
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    But he also said it wasn't the only contributing factor, dude if your going to quote someone then do it in full context at around 50 seconds into the video he says " it's not completely games workshops fault"
    I stand by my statement - MWG is closing their store right now because of the GW policy according to his own words.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Iron Father

I stand by my statement - MWG is closing their store right now because of the GW policy according to his own words.
    Then I must have been watching a different video
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Banned

I think Def is focusing on the "right now" part of their statement, rather than the inevitability of their closing or not.

Veteran-Sergeant

For anyone who shopped at the physical MWG store, it was clear to see the majority of their business existed online (myself included). They also did more to promote the hobby in Southern Ontario than virtually any other gaming club in the area. However, I will give some props to the new(ish) staff at the GW in Toronto, as I do find they are fairly active in promoting the hobby and not just selling.

I just hope MWG still runs their Apocalypticon event, as it is an event I have looked forward to every year since the first.
    Check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InquisitorialMandate or search for MWG Leland!

Librarian

From what I read, GW is making it so that in the United States and Canada they will only sell to bricks and mortar stores. These have to maintain $500.00 in stock and adhere to their recommended retail prices. These stores are not allowed to sell to other stores, just consumers, and GW have made it so they can enter your store unannounced and demand to see your paper work and sales records with the threat of terminating your sales contract.

If you own a bricks and mortar shop, you are not allowed to sell any of the GW products online, and GW is the only company who will be able to sell their products online. Also Bricks and mortar stores are prohibited from selling to overseas countries. This means you could not even email a company in the USA, pay for goods, and have them shipped. GW seems to have stopped all means of having anyone from underselling them, and they have made it impossible for people who live in remote locations like outback Australia from purchasing their products, except at their highly inflated prices.

I think this is the thing that will make people who were still loyal to GW and the Warhammer Fantasy/ Warhammer 40k gaming system, who cut down their spending because of GWs high prices, turn to other gaming systems and stop buying any more GW armies, books or models. It might even make them get out of Warhammer Fantasy and 40K and sell off their armies all together.

I know I have decided to not buy any GW models even from my local gaming store because of GWs policy. I am looking to use miniatures from other manufacturers to fill the same role. Anvil Industries, Chapterhouse, Puppet Wars, Kromlech and Dreamforge look to be getting all my money for 40K scale models from now on. I will still play the game, and even borrow other peoples codexes to learn their armies and rules for them, but I do ot even see the need to buy new codexes if I can help it.

I have invested more and more money into Dystopian wars, Drop Zone Commander, Star Wars X-Wing Fighter, Wings of War WW I, and possibly soon Bolt Action WW II squad based miniature game.

I can not see how GW will be able to get new blood into the market, especially with the highly inflated prices, and with them closing down so many of their stores, with many of those remaining not having regular gaming tables. The local gaming stores will not be able to keep the levels of stock, or be able to make enough profit to maintain GW games, and they will be forced to drop the GW gaming system from their shelves, and move into more profitable gaming systems. I know some will disagree with me, but that is my opinion.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Anything stopping people getting the same discounts, but going through stores in the UK or other non-American?

Librarian

The Miniature Wargaming You tube video about their decision to close down because of GW media release about banning online sales in Canada and the USA, mentions that Europe, and the UK already have policies in place restricting them from selling outside their country. They were already hit by GWs - we want all the profits for ourselves, before we P**s everyone off and finally go bust and our business fails, but our MD will get his bonuses before he leaves - Policy.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast