BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Space Wolves 2k - A list to grow on.

I'm back to see if there are any glaring problems with my first list before I finish getting the rest of the models. Joining a friendly league with 20+ players and looking to play asap.

The blood claws, while not the most WAAC unit are there because they are fun and have a special place in my heart ever since reading Battle of the Fang. The thunderwolves are because other than Space Wolves' friendly nature to new guys, they are one of the big reasons that I'm playing the army to begin with. The longfangs are allocated for the best thing I could get out of the box so far. I can make a 5x missile unit soon. I'll use a Rune Priest or two soon. Avoiding vehicles for now to get boots on the ground.

Thoughts and ideas, please. I'm pretty happy with the list.

SPACE WOLVES 2000pts

HQ

Wolf Lord
    thunderwolf
    frost axe
    storm shield
    wolf tooth necklace
    saga of the bear
    * Joins the Thunderwolf Cavalry to wreck face.

ELITES

5 Wolf Guard Terminators
    3 power axe/storm shield
    power axe/storm bolter/cyclone missile launcher
    power axe/storm bolter
    * Separate and join units below.

TROOPS

10 Grey Hunters
    2 plasma guns
    power axe
    wolf standard
    * Joined by PA/SS Wolf Guard.

10 Grey Hunters
    2 plasma guns
    power axe
    wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters
    2 plasma guns
    power axe
    wolf standard

15 Blood Claws
    2 flamers
    power axe

FAST ATTACK

3 Thunderwolf Cavalry
    3 storm shields

HEAVY SUPPORT

6 Long Fangs
    2 lascannons
    2 plasma cannons
    missile launcher
    * Joined by PA/SB/CML Wolf Guard.

6 Long Fangs
    2 lascannons
    2 plasma cannons
    missile launcher
    * Joined by PA/SB Wolf Guard. (Considering making this dude just be in power armor and fire the quad gun.)

FORTIFICATION

Aegis Defense Line
    quad gun
    * The long fangs and some grey hunters chill behind this and blast away.
    Last edited by Aspire to Glory; 12-15-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: noticed errata changes
    Calm down. This is supposed to be FUN.

My list is so perfect that nobody has anything to say!

Guess the lurkers are stunned to silence with their miring.

Not bad. Definitely a "boys over toys" concept. If you haven't considered it yet, might think about working a rune priest in there soonish. Lots of fluffy fun, among the best counter-psykers in the game, and GW's power armored Finecast model is beautiful!

And I applaud your use of Blood Claws; I'm a fan myself. Plus Lukas is one of my favorite characters in the fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sovereign View Post
    Not bad. Definitely a "boys over toys" concept. If you haven't considered it yet, might think about working a rune priest in there soonish. Lots of fluffy fun, among the best counter-psykers in the game, and GW's power armored Finecast model is beautiful!

And I applaud your use of Blood Claws; I'm a fan myself. Plus Lukas is one of my favorite characters in the fluff.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I am definitely considering a rune priest or two asap, but at first I wanted to just go for pure fun with a ridiculous wolf lord on a thunderwolf.

Battle-Brother

I second the opinion of adding Rune Priests, they really are such great fun!
    I'll try a unit by unit review. Btw, I love the layout of the list, very easy to read, just I like having the points values there for reference :P
    The Wolf Lord looks great fun! Post a kill count after the battle?

The terminators, for a start, I'll assume you mean frost axes? From here, I query this choice. In 5th edition,this was fine, as they acted just like normal PWs with the +1 strength. But now, lowering your initiative to 1, with +2 S, albeit with AP 2, seems pointless when you can get a power fist for the same points?
    Also, 3 SS... Quite a point sink, and with you being allowed the 2+ armour save more and more these days, I doubt it's worth it.
    My changes here would be to remove the Frost Axes altogether, replacing them with a mixture of Wolf Claws, and Power Fists and a single Chain Fist. The SS(s) perhaps change to combi-weapons for the added ranged versatility?

The Grey Hunters. Same as above really, get rid of the Power Axe, go for the Power Fist, for some guaranteed kills.
    Maybe Mark of the Wulfen too? It's great fun, and a bargain for the points! Rending is great this edition.
    I normally run my Grey Hunters with a flamer and melta gun/plasma gun combo. This keeps the points down, as you get both for free, and the flamer is good on the counter charge.

Blood Claws with Lukas? Good choice! I love seeing him used! Same as above, again, though. Power Fist maybe? And perhaps take a melt a gun instead of one of the flamers.

The Thunderwolves. SS are a good choice here, and in addition, I'd recommend adding a thunder hammer, the S10 is too good an opportunity to pass.

The long fangs... I swear by the full Missile Launcher... But if you are inclined, perhaps take 3 Missile launchers, 2 Lascannons? But having the plasma cannon mixed in with the other 2 gives the unit too much of an identity crisis when target selection, even with split fire, which you will lose quickly as the squad leader should always be first to die

Agh! Fortification! For a start, I find this conflicts so much with the lore of the wolves... Control the midfield!! March up there, blast away! Then yell COME AT ME! When they get near, and beat the to a pulp with counter charge.
    It's also points you could be spending on your Rune Priests

There we go, hope that makes up for the silence here :P

Brother-Captain

There isn't much point in having a Frost Axe on the Wolf Lord, for the same cost you can have a Power Fist. Sure you lose one attack, but you become S10 rather than S7, that's well worth losing one attack for.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    I second the opinion of adding Rune Priests, they really are such great fun!
    I'll try a unit by unit review. Btw, I love the layout of the list, very easy to read, just I like having the points values there for reference :P
    The Wolf Lord looks great fun! Post a kill count after the battle?

The terminators, for a start, I'll assume you mean frost axes? From here, I query this choice. In 5th edition,this was fine, as they acted just like normal PWs with the +1 strength. But now, lowering your initiative to 1, with +2 S, albeit with AP 2, seems pointless when you can get a power fist for the same points?
    Also, 3 SS... Quite a point sink, and with you being allowed the 2+ armour save more and more these days, I doubt it's worth it.
    My changes here would be to remove the Frost Axes altogether, replacing them with a mixture of Wolf Claws, and Power Fists and a single Chain Fist. The SS(s) perhaps change to combi-weapons for the added ranged versatility?

The Grey Hunters. Same as above really, get rid of the Power Axe, go for the Power Fist, for some guaranteed kills.
    Maybe Mark of the Wulfen too? It's great fun, and a bargain for the points! Rending is great this edition.
    I normally run my Grey Hunters with a flamer and melta gun/plasma gun combo. This keeps the points down, as you get both for free, and the flamer is good on the counter charge.

Blood Claws with Lukas? Good choice! I love seeing him used! Same as above, again, though. Power Fist maybe? And perhaps take a melt a gun instead of one of the flamers.

The Thunderwolves. SS are a good choice here, and in addition, I'd recommend adding a thunder hammer, the S10 is too good an opportunity to pass.

The long fangs... I swear by the full Missile Launcher... But if you are inclined, perhaps take 3 Missile launchers, 2 Lascannons? But having the plasma cannon mixed in with the other 2 gives the unit too much of an identity crisis when target selection, even with split fire, which you will lose quickly as the squad leader should always be first to die

Agh! Fortification! For a start, I find this conflicts so much with the lore of the wolves... Control the midfield!! March up there, blast away! Then yell COME AT ME! When they get near, and beat the to a pulp with counter charge.
    It's also points you could be spending on your Rune Priests

There we go, hope that makes up for the silence here :P

I meant power axes on the Wolf Guard. I was trying to save points but get some punch in the bargain. I'm thinking about changing that, anyway. Keep in mind that they are being split up into the squads in the rest of the list. Going to make some Terminators with Lightning Claws and see how they fare.

I'll heavily consider your recommendations on the 'Hunters. I like flamers a lot for Overwatch and it's a bit more tactical to have flexibility with troops.

I haven't put Lukas into the blood claws yet but I intend to. I've loved Blood Claws ever since reading Battle of the Fang. They went from a bunch of dumb kids to young warriors eager for glory, mentored by a Grey Hunter that they venerate as a god of battle. Eventually I want to run a list with 3 squads of 15 Blood Claws.

I put together the Thunderwolves last night and I couldn't help but throw a thunderhammer onto them. So looks like I was on the same page already. Can't wait to use them. I agree about SS being a staple on them.

The issue with my long fangs is that I'm just getting started with the army, and therefore short on supplies. Since GW, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided to only put one missile launcher in their devvie boxes, I'm stuck with 3 at the moment. I'd love to spam them, but I'm stuck with what I have for now.

I'll look into dropping the aegis for a naked Rune Priest. As I care very much for fluff and theme, I know where you are coming from about their tactics. I kinda wanted to have a Skyfire option in my army though.

Thanks for the thorough advice! I appreciate the time you took to look at each unit.

Battle-Brother

Yup, I did keep in mind that they're being split up I just always find that, especially when leading a squad, the combi-weapon is a nice touch. And the Wolf Claw is a very versatile close combat weapon

And good idea, experimentation is the way to go! But certainly my tactic with the grey hunters, which is to push them up to the midfield, the flamer always comes in handy, for the close range fire power, and overwatch

I really need to get round to reading that! Heard so much about it :P But be wary of 3 squads of them. They're, competitively at least, worse versions of Grey Hunters.

Indeed, I've hit that same problem too. What I've done to tackle it is to leave the arms unassembled for the time being, until I can source them. It looks damn ugly, but will hopefully pay off. Even still, you could just for experimentations sake declare what the weapons are counting as for each battle.

The lack of Skyfire really is our downfall... But really, unless we come up against some 'annoying person' fielding cron air, we can usually just deal wiv it, cause we're the space wolves. Fliers are an odd one... But from my experience against a single Doom Scythe, they just come on, get a guaranteed kill for a couple of turns, but largely don't affect the game in a major way? It's always hit and miss, but as long as we focus on getting as many units on the table for target saturation, we have safety in numbers.

Any time

What about, for now, remaking the existing long fangs into 2 squads that are a bit more focused.

6 Long Fangs (200)
    4 lascannons
    Missile launcher

6 Long Fangs (180)
    4 plasma cannons
    Missile launcher

Battle-Brother

You could go with that, but make it 3 to 2. More even for split fire purposes. Does mean sourcing one more Missile Launcher though.

Another idea maybe, if you have multi-meltas: Take a squad of 6 Long Fangs with 5 Multi-meltas, stick them in a Drop Pod with Logan and Arjac. Logan can make them relentless or tank hunting, and Arjac eith him just scares most people from assaults.
    The idea would be just to deep strike this into the middle of the enemy vehicle line, and wreak havoc! Bit of a death-star unit, but great fun and something a little alternative

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast