BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Some weapon types, such as Template and Ordnance, or those that have certain special rules, such as Blast, cannot be fired as Snap Shots. It is important to note that any shooting attack that does not use a Ballistic Skill - such as the Necron Monolith's portal of exile - cannot be 'fired' as a Snap Shot.
    As the Vibro Cannon is not 'fired' as a Snap Shot nor has a special rule saying it can not fire as a Snap Shot (like Blast and Large Blast p33, Ordnance p51, or Template p52) it comes right back to what resolving the shot in the Hard to Hit rule means.

It is quite specific on that point actually, shots resolved AT the flyer. As in shots that are directed at the flyer. The vibro cannon shot is not resolved at the flyer, so Hard to Hit cannot be invoked therefore it is not a snap shot, if it is not a snap shot snap shot weapon restrictions CANNOT apply.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

no. If you cannot snap shot, you cannot hit!

You simply MISS.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

The funny thing is, you cannot purposely shoot into close combat with any weapons either, yet Lo and Behold!...A vibro cannon simply has to draw the line through a close combat and WHAM!...you are magically shooting into close combat....The exact same thing happens when shooting at flyers with the Vibro Cannon. Whatever the line passes through is gonna either take d6 hits or glances, depending on if it has an Armour Value or if it has wounds. period.

There's no getting around it by trying to argue that you have to have skyfire or that you have to snap shot or anything silly like that.

Bottom line is this. The rules in the codex trump the rules in the core rule book. And the rules in the codex say that any unit the line passes through...

And that's the rub....any unit the line passes through.....now think about that for a moment...

roll it around in your mouth to get a taste for it because it's gonna taste bitter if you aren't used to the flavor....

any unit the line passes through.

any...unit...the...line...passes...through...

any unit( according to page 3 of the core rule book a unit usually consists of several models that have banded together, but a single, powerful model, such as a lone character, a tank, a war engine, or a rampaging monster, is also considered to be a unit in it's own right) the line passes through...

again for good measure...any unit the line passes through....are flyers units?...Why yes they are!

So if the line passes through them...they will take glances (or a glance, depending on ruling).
    Last edited by Roadkill Zombie; 07-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.

No, you do not. Any unit that passes through the vibro cannon line is automatically hit as per teh codex rule. That the unit is a flyer is irrelevent, it has an armour value so it is hit.

Once more you need to:

1) Read the rules
    2) Stop making things up

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    no. If you cannot snap shot, you cannot hit!

You simply MISS.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

As "Shots resolved* at a Zooming Flyer can only be resolved* as Snap Shots" p81 is not going to get solved anytime soon may I suggest the 'Is it rad' test.

Is a combat flyer running into a wall of weaponized sound and exploding rad?
    Yes.
    Thus the VC can blow up fliers.

*Resolved can mean a lot of things and this sentence can be read so a zooming flyer is immune to anything that is not a Snap Shot or Skyfire. This is not rad.

Interesting idea. But as I said, the shot isn't fired at the flyer so it's rule cannot be invoked.

Brother-Captain

If someone valued parsing sentences more than having a good time they'd be all "it can only be RESOLVED* against a zooming flyer if it Snap Shots or Skyfires. It doesn't have to be fired at it! You can't resolve it so it doesn't count. GAWD!" PSA everyone, no one should talk like this in the game store (or anywhere else). It makes people want to hit you. These rules threads are a fun exercise when a game isn't being played though, that's why I'm here

*In all caps because this will be said with a wide open mouth. It will make you swear off Cheetos and Mountain Dew.

Chapter-Master

I love the logic that if you cannot enact a rule, then it must actually hit.
    Yeah, that's totally how to 'resolve' this.

Uh, no.

The fact that one cannot resolve the shot *should* be a clue that a hit vs the flyer is invalid.
    The fact that the rulebook explicitly references specials rules to hit, including codex special rules, *should* be another clue that the hit vs the flyer is invalid.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

I am not so shure it would work this way, as this is supposed to be the most cinematic edition of the game yet. I have a feeling that you can eithor hit flyers or ground targets. It doesn't follow any kind of 3d logic to both hit guys on the ground and a jet flying several thousand feet in the air.

Raw could go eithor way, but I would bet on GW nerfing the gun because of the cinematic inconsistency of a gun shooting a line that can some how create a infinately tall wave of damage that is millimeters thick.

Most of all you should apply KISS. Does it make any kind of in game logical sence to have a beam do this, if not then don't do it.

If it was a beam shot at a flyer it should only hit flyers; and the reverse; if its shot at gound targets it should only hit ground targets.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast