BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think about swapping power weapons between tourney rounds

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • powergaming BS

55 98.21%
  • but space marines come equipped

1 1.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    I remember someone suggesting what to do in cases like this -- you pull out a Baneblade and slap it on the table. Opponent asks about it and you tell them "It's my free Baneblade. Show me in the rules where it says I don't get a free Baneblade?!"
    Issue solved.

To actually add to the conversation, I agree that the weapon must be specified. Just as any model has to be given a specific heavy weapon (heavy bolter, lascannon, missile launcher) as an example, you can't just say "my longfangs have a heavy weapon which means I pick which one before the game starts."

No you have to give specific weapons. With new rules on power weapons, they must be specified as there is in fact a difference between them. TOs should be smart enough to make people have set lists.

Personally I give people the option to have all weapons in their entire army count as base power swords or WYSIWYG. I play WYSIWYG but as the rules changed with little notice given, I'm willing to give people the option...atleast for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Death 0F Angels View Post
    I did not not notice the power sword to power weapon change for codexs. Is that in the rulebook or the FAQs.

It is clearly posted on the list as power weapon, nor does it require any change to the list.
    Codex. Started with space wolves some, in the Grey knights the really started with power sword. Not sure many people caught that in the inquisitors entry.

Edit: in addition to inquisitors, acolytes got the "sword" treatment.

Edit2: Blood angels use them in some areas as well.

Edit3: Imperial guard has ONE reference of a sword, and that is sergeant bastonne

seems this has been planned out for a long time.
    Last edited by gendoikari87; 07-13-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    It has a points value.
    Yeah, but that's the point cost if you want extra Baneblades on top of the free one

The point is the rules of the game don't prevent you from having a free Baneblade, and they don't prevent you from not specifying whether your sarge is equipeed with a power axe/sword/whatever.

But, because the rules don't say that there is a special exception that allows you to not specify this one piece of wargear (anymore than there is a rule that allows you to have a free Baneblade) means you have to assume you can't. GW rules are permissive, rather than restrictive. They tell you what you can do, and you assume that you can't do anything else; rather than assuming you can do everything, unless the rules specifically tell you that you can't.
    Last edited by Chris*ta; 07-13-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added point

Yeah, but that's the point cost if you want extra Baneblades on top of the free one

The point is the rules of the game don't prevent you from having a free Baneblade, and they don't prevent you from not specifying whether your sarge is equipeed with a power axe/sword/whatever.

But, because the rules don't say that there is a special exception that allows you to not specify this one piece of wargear (anymore than there is a rule that allows you to have a free Baneblade) means you have to assume you can't. GW rules are permissive, rather than restrictive. They tell you what you can do, and you assume that you can't do anything else; rather than assuming you can do everything, unless the rules specifically tell you that you can't.
    The rules are permissive meaning if it doesn't say you can, then you can't. If it's listed as a power weapon in the rulebook then you go to WYSIWYG. as there is nothing saying that all power WEAPONS are swords otherwise you could easily make the argument that anything in older codex's that says power WEAPON is now a Power MAUL and now can't penetrate marine armor.

otherwise I can write down power SWORD on my list and take a power AXE because it looks cool and do away with those ungodly axe rules. I'm sorry, this is how it works until we get errata that says what power weapons are Axe/swords/mauls/lances ect, ect. Until then they are all the broad classification Power WEAPON and you go to WYSIWYG.
    Last edited by gendoikari87; 07-13-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

otherwise I can write down power SWORD on my list and take a power AXE because it looks cool and do away with those ungodly axe rules.
    Pretty sure you can't because of WYSIWIG. Otherwise I can write Grey Knights on my list and use a handful of change because I don't like the price of the minis

Pretty sure you can't because of WYSIWIG. Otherwise I can write Grey Knights on my list and use a handful of change because I don't like the price of the minis
    Good then we are in agreeably then, Power WEAPONS can be anything they are currently modeled after.

Good then we are in agreeably then, Power WEAPONS can be anything they are currently modeled after.
    That's not what we're arguing though. The argument is whether you can write "power weapon" on your list and then modify your minis once you find out what your opponent is playing in a tournament.

Short answer: You can't; anymore than you can write "heavy weapon" and then choose whether you want a heavy bolter or missile launcher at the start of a match.

That's not what we're arguing though. The argument is whether you can write "power weapon" on your list and then modify your minis once you find out what your opponent is playing in a tournament.

Short answer: You can't; anymore than you can write "heavy weapon" and then choose whether you want a heavy bolter or missile launcher at the start of a match.
    Show me a choice in any codex that lets you pay points for a "heavy weapon". I can show you multiple options where you pay points for a power weapon. Also the rulebook specifically states that when i pay points for a power weapon its in game ability goes by what is represented on the miniature. Show me the same for heavy weapons.

Really there is no arguement. It is clear in the rulebook that i can. In my opinion it adds another facet to tournaments and adds a bit to the hobby side of them. This is not something specific to one codex, it goes across the whole game. My only tredidation would be that some codexs may be at a disadvantage due to the wording and prevelance of power weapons in their own codex.

EDIT: forgot to add, it will really be up to a TO wether to allow it or not. I expect it would not be allowed, but i think some discussion is justified.
    Last edited by Death 0F Angels; 07-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Death 0F Angels View Post
    Show me a choice in any codex that lets you pay points for a "heavy weapon". I can show you multiple options where you pay points for a power weapon. Also the rulebook specifically states that when i pay points for a power weapon its in game ability goes by what is represented on the miniature. Show me the same for heavy weapons.

Really there is no arguement. It is clear in the rulebook that i can. In my opinion it adds another facet to tournaments and adds a bit to the hobby side of them. This is not something specific to one codex, it goes across the whole game. My only tredidation would be that some codexs may be at a disadvantage due to the wording and prevelance of power weapons in their own codex.

EDIT: forgot to add, it will really be up to a TO wether to allow it or not. I expect it would not be allowed, but i think some discussion is justified.
    I'll give it till next month (I surely hope) that the next dex comes out. It will either be DA or CSM, both have different power weapon types. Once we see the structure there, it will set the standard. Until then you can feel free to spout semantics about how WAAC players should be given another way to make people hate them. It's a game that is meant to be fun, not learning new ways to dislike and/or hate people for taking vague rule changes as gospel, and then using that to grief people.

Sorry, but i am not doing anything i would not do in a regular game of 40K. If i play my friend and he has higher initiative im going with power axes. Why is it so wrong if i do it at a tournament. 5 pages and no one has told me why they think its a bad idea. Just why i cant,/shouldnt.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast