BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    When a large amount of Tyranid creatures just got boosted, I find it hard to say they are rubbish.
    I dont understand this comment. What are the large amount of buffs? Tyranids can't use the new fortifications, can't use allies, new wound allocation system greatly hurts horde "cc" armies, have no AA weapons at all, can't assault on outlfanks (this is universal, obviously but still very much effects how I play this army), now have to endure Overwatch in addition to going last in CC when assaulting into cover, the nerf to fleet which sees all armies gain the same threat range for CC, etc. It's like GW put in all these cool new features into 40k then looked at Nids and said "NOT you Tyranids, you go sit in that corner and think about what you have done".

The only decent things I see are leaving their Psychic Defense as is, huge boost to flying MCs and Broodlords being able to switch out their garbage powers for two from the deck (which is VERY cool). Also, I am interested to see how Zoans do being used in a support roll as they can switch out their powers for the decks also (dont have to cast the same thing).

In regards to the FAQs to say I am underwhelmed is an understatement. They just have a bunch of generic "Pink 6th ed Speak" at the start and then just the old, 5th ed ones. The only one that is even remotely decent is for the book that was basically written for 6th ed and that is the Necrons. Addresses all their funky rule issues, addresses all their weapons and what AP they should be, etc. which is great.

Chapter-Master

There was one big change I noticed, in particular regards to biker characters and Typhus. It's popped up that bracketed toughness values; i.e. Typhus is Toughness 4 (5), are all that matters now. Yes. It says you completely ignore the non-bracketed Toughness value. Anyone just realize what this means? No more instant-deathing Typhus with a power fist (unless you are S10)! And Nurgle Biker Lords can't be subject to instant-death except by a force weapon or other 'regardless of toughness' type weapon. Typhus counts solely as Toughness 5 for all intents and purposes, and the Nurgle Biker Chaos Lord counts as Toughness 6 for all intents and purposes!

That is awesome! You need a power fist to ignore my Haemonculi's Feel No Pain now

The Mark of Nurgle no longer has a big draw-back to it for characters! Hooray for Typhus - who given the new general force weapon rules is now a boss, he might count as having a force axe which sucks that he goes last but at least he gets re-rolls to wound against Toughness 5 and lower and wounds Toughness 4 on a 2+ at AP2 On the new Force Weapon rules, it is for every unsaved wound now for ALL force weapons that instant death applies, not just you pick a model like old codexes did.

As if Typhus needed to get any better at demolishing monstrous creatures/Carnifex broods........

Oh and by the way, the Defiler has 4 HP!
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 06-30-2012 at 08:36 AM.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulio View Post
    I dont understand this comment. What are the large amount of buffs? Tyranids can't use the new fortifications, can't use allies, new wound allocation system greatly hurts horde "cc" armies, have no AA weapons at all, can't assault on outlfanks (this is universal, obviously but still very much effects how I play this army), now have to endure Overwatch in addition to going last in CC when assaulting into cover, the nerf to fleet which sees all armies gain the same threat range for CC, etc. It's like GW put in all these cool new features into 40k then looked at Nids and said "NOT you Tyranids, you go sit in that corner and think about what you have done".

The only decent things I see are leaving their Psychic Defense as is, huge boost to flying MCs and Broodlords being able to switch out their garbage powers for two from the deck (which is VERY cool). Also, I am interested to see how Zoans do being used in a support roll as they can switch out their powers for the decks also (dont have to cast the same thing).

In regards to the FAQs to say I am underwhelmed is an understatement. They just have a bunch of generic "Pink 6th ed Speak" at the start and then just the old, 5th ed ones. The only one that is even remotely decent is for the book that was basically written for 6th ed and that is the Necrons. Addresses all their funky rule issues, addresses all their weapons and what AP they should be, etc. which is great.
    Monstrous creatures better, access to new powers. You can enter fortifications, and you get AA, in the form of flying monsters
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

The only decent things I see are leaving their Psychic Defense as is, huge boost to flying MCs and Broodlords being able to switch out their garbage powers for two from the deck (which is VERY cool).
    Please note that a Broodlord has BS 0, so can't use any shooting powers. Which is most of them.
    Embarking =/= Nemesis Force Weapon

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Monstrous creatures better
    How? I have asked this a bunch of times and I still dont see it. They get to swap half they attacks for improved strength and re-roll armor pen...but lose 2d6 armor pen, so that in my mind is either a slight nerf (depending on the strength of the MC) or about the same. How else have they been improved?

Also, how are access to the new powers (which I mentioned, and which everyone gets) and using incredibly expensive flying MCs as AA "a large amount of Tyranid creatures just got boosted"?
    Last edited by Ghoulio; 06-30-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: not enough nudity

They get a whole load of new special rules.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

How? I have asked this a bunch of times and I still dont see it. They get to swap half they attacks for improved strength and re-roll armor pen...but lose 2d6 armor pen, so that in my mind is either a slight nerf (depending on the strength of the MC) or about the same. How else have they been improved?

Also, how are access to the new powers (which I mentioned, and which everyone gets) and using incredibly expensive flying MCs as AA "a large amount of Tyranid creatures just got boosted"?
    Anyone who thinks Tyranids suck in new rules hasn't got a clue, for one thing the charge range of hormies went up on average, 12" move and average 7 charge. With a reroll from fleet, they get in faster.

Note even with no run and charge, they can run in the earlier turns getting up to 18" movement in one turn, not up to 12".

Biomancy is an insanse pyschic set, and you can easily shoot down enemy fliers, while your monstrous fliers are harder to kill.

I feel no pity for Tyranids, plenty for BT who lost their preferred enemy, all they get is rage. The BT FAQ was underwheling to say the least. Love Tau in the edition, even with no AA.
    For the Greater good.

Veteran-Sergeant

Er...how can Hormagaunts move 12" in the movement phase? I thought infantry (which they are since they haven't been beasts since 4th edition) only move 6". In fact I would wager that Hormagaunts have a lower charge range (on average) as they used to be able to move 6", rolled 3d6 and chose the highest for fleet, then assaulted 6, so normally at least 16" threat range. Now its closer to 13" range (as the average of 2d6 is 7 plus the 6" move). Nothing in the Tyranid book got a higher threat range for CC, not even beasts (stayed the same at 24").

How can we easily shoot down enemy flyers when every gun in the army needs a "6" to hit? I also mentioned that the Flying MCs was a huge buff, which I am looking forward to trying out.

Keep in mind even though I may be pointing out some of the flaws with the Nids in the current range I am not saying they will be 100% useless. I am just commenting on your blanket statement about how everything for them was buffed and I am just trying to show you the opposite is true (they feel more forgotten I think rather then buffed). They are the only army in the game that misses out on most of this editions cooler rules which is my point and I do think they will have a much harder time then most armies being competitive just based on how the new rules are set up. I am not saying other armies haven't felt the sting of the nerf bat (like black templars).

@ Eldargirl: I know they got a whole load of special rules, that is what everyone keeps saying lol. Nobody can pin point what those bonus' are though so I have a hard time seeing how they improved.

Chaplain

Was kinda hopoing for some better news for the Tau......and again.....disappointment.....

c'mon new codex.......

I would prefer to play pure Tau games.....when and "IF" I ever get back into 40k.....and right now....it's doubtful

Chapter-Master

Harpies were never expensive. They went from being an overlooked creature to the spotlight.
    Hive Tyrants went from nearly unstoppable to unstoppable with wings... (or unstoppable with 2+ armor). Not to mention Look out, Sir! Arrgh!

I believe it is time to start busting out the Land Speeder Tempest and Whirlwind Hyperios conversions.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast