BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

GW's production model will change. if its cheaper for us to develop and print these things, then it will be as easy for GW to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RFHolloway View Post
    GW's production model will change. if its cheaper for us to develop and print these things, then it will be as easy for GW to do the same.
    Probably not tbh.

In the future, it may be cheaper for someone to make a copy of a GW model using 3D printing than it is for them to buy it from GW, but that ignores many important factors.

That is only considering the materials cost of making 1 item vs retail price. GW models probably would cost a lot less on a per unit basis if we are only considering materials costs. What makes GW models expensive is the inital capital outlay needed to make the molds.

I am unfamiliar with the exact design of the GW molds, but if they are anything like other similar models used on other manufacturers, then these models could press out dozens of units/spruns per run, whereas your 3D printer could only manage 1 at a time.

The production cycle is also an important factor. As I understand it, it takes a fair while to generate a model using 3D printing. In that time, a traditional model could have gone through several cycles.

In business, time is also money.

Now, one day in the future, 3D printing may become a viable option to use to clone GW models, but realistically, you would only consider that if you already have the printer or need it for something else.

That is because the price of new technological goods depends on demand, so unless there is a sudden, massive demand for them (and I cannot really see from where), it will be unlikely to reach the critical mass needed to bring prices significantly down enough that ordinary households could afford it.

Battle-Brother

You hit it right in the head. There is a big difference between producing one custom model and printing an army over night. The technology is exciting and becoming more affordable. Zbrush, the software used to digitally sculpt, has a steep learning curve which will separate average models from awesome.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    But will we use the technology to produce pre-existing products and designs by the means of a purchase from GW or do some of us think we could produce better originals and alternatives to what GW offer.
    Some people can, but most will not.

Here's what I think GW should do if they are even marginally intelligent. Before 3D printers become household staples, they should develop their own 3D software that allows a user to construct a custom figure, similar to the coloring software on [url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php]Bolter and Chainsword[/url]. Instead of allowing a user to mix and match paints, however, the 3D software would offer a user a selection of torsos, heads, arms, legs, weapons, war gear, and bits. It could be similar to something like Poser, only tailored for use with GW and geared toward making printable miniatures. When finished, the user could either print the model himself, or GW would offer a service that would print out the custom figure for a fee. If the user chooses to print the model themselves, the software would automatically partition the figure into pieces for ease of manufacture and construction, similar to what Pepakura does for card stock models. GW would then be able to sell plugins and/or service packs that include additional bits. Finally, GW could provide an SDK that would allow users and third party vendors to upload their own bits. Of course, embedded within the language of the SDK would be the caveat that GW has the right to use anything uploaded to GW for production in future GW bulk products (under the name of IP protection, of course).

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    Some people can, but most will not.

Here's what I think GW should do if they are even marginally intelligent. Before 3D printers become household staples, they should develop their own 3D software that allows a user to construct a custom figure, similar to the coloring software on [url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smp.php]Bolter and Chainsword[/url]. Instead of allowing a user to mix and match paints, however, the 3D software would offer a user a selection of torsos, heads, arms, legs, weapons, war gear, and bits. It could be similar to something like Poser, only tailored for use with GW and geared toward making printable miniatures. When finished, the user could either print the model himself, or GW would offer a service that would print out the custom figure for a fee. If the user chooses to print the model themselves, the software would automatically partition the figure into pieces for ease of manufacture and construction, similar to what Pepakura does for card stock models. GW would then be able to sell plugins and/or service packs that include additional bits. Finally, GW could provide an SDK that would allow users and third party vendors to upload their own bits. Of course, embedded within the language of the SDK would be the caveat that GW has the right to use anything uploaded to GW for production in future GW bulk products (under the name of IP protection, of course).
    that would be highly intellegent, and probably cheaper, and thus bring in more players, so of course GW won't do it.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Battle-Brother

Custom figures would be fantastic. I guess then this technology becomes affordable, we could make our own figures and rules. Wouldn't need GW at that point....

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
    Custom figures would be fantastic. I guess then this technology becomes affordable, we could make our own figures and rules. Wouldn't need GW at that point....
    Sorry but I disagree. The reason GW is successful is because of their great model designs. I like Necron 2s idea about custom models but the point I think he is making is that while you could order / build your own custom model your still going to be buying part of GWs IP.
    I know some people are creative enough to produce fantastic models by themselves but that's not the norm. While I champion the idea of 3D technology I also don't want to be playing someone who's army looks like Lego figures either.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I like Necron 2s idea about custom models but the point I think he is making is that while you could order / build your own custom model your still going to be buying part of GWs IP.
    I know some people are creative enough to produce fantastic models by themselves but that's not the norm.
    Partly I'm saying GWs IP issues will influence this, but also I'm saying GW better get on it before somebody else does. It's true that not everyone is skilled enough to created the models themselves, but some people out there are smart enough to create software packages that take skill out of the equation. It wouldn't be that hard to create an application with pre-fab figure components that can be mixed and matched to create custom models. It also wouldn't be too difficult to make it so that these custom computer models can be somewhat dynamically posed to suit an individual users "vision." From there, it's just a matter of hitting the print key to send it to a 3D printer (more or less). If GW doesn't created this software, trust me - somebody will.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Battle-Brother
    Northern Quebec, Mistissini (near Chibougamau)

Honestly, this all is up to oil and how it does in the next 10 years. Remember all these things from the plastic of the 3d printer to the plastic it uses need oil to be refined so that we get plastics as a by product and it isnt looking so rosy on the oil front. Lots left sure, but they will likely raise plastic costs to go with the cost of gas. If not then for sure this will happen as those saying we will all have one are saying. You will have cheap printers in this case, cheap material, and lots of companies wanting to cash in on the idea. What WILL remain expensive will be the scanners, since who wants everyone to have that? It wont be like scanners now, where someone scans a document, they will have people scanning the items they want to sell. Also take a third item like ink out of the equation and we again have something that will work out to be cheap.

My prediction is printers will be cheap(ish) in the 300-400 dollar range, with enough materials to make in our case a battalion running around 2/3rds the cost of the battalion (less if they sell a device to recycle left over bits for reuse). What we will see is gaming groups buying 1 or 2 between them, plus maybe a scanner (say 1 grand in that case) and then just scan and buy materials for their own armies. Either GW will go tits up due to this, or they will adapt if they hadnt already and sell the templates as well. Hell, templates will be sold for likely the cost of 2-4 of the thing it makes or maybe with a limited number of uses so I can't see GW doing this of their own accord.

Would also like to point out comparing the printing of a book to the printing of a sprue is not only pointless, but kinda makes no sense. These are apples and boots in comparison. A sprue or model is a simple small object that will be easy to sell the parts to create on your own, while a book is complex, with many hundreds of pages to print, order, bind and if your serious about it cover. The book may be an old invention but it is still more complex than a piece of plastic you cut up then make what amounts to a 3d puzzle out of the parts. I would argue the only reason no one came out with a mass produced do-it-yourself printing press is that by the time the computers that would make it possible were prevelent enough, people saw books as obslete, the opposite of what computers were all about. Saying that people didnt get into ebooks is wrong. While many people still need to move over to make it a full success, the fact that things like Kindle, Kobo and such exist simple to read books proves that it is a success. In fact I love my kindle, and really only buy black library now in book form because I have no other choice (ebooks from their site dont seem compatible, but if someone can tell me how to make them go together I would be very happy).

As stated, the learning curve with digital sculpting is pretty steep. I personally still see that digital look when I examine 3D prints today. It's more difficult to do with natural objects and living characters. Mechanical things are really great for 3D sculpts though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast