BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    The Dark Mechanic

Default Space Wolves money saving tips

I've made it no secret the past year that while I'm still a Warhammer hobbyist I'm definitely in a new mode of not going too crazy on the expenditures, especially since last May 28th and the new price structure that includes Finecast. As the styrene kits have gotten more expensive the Finecast models in some cases are truly exorbitant and I find myself avoiding most blisters and non-styrene GW models more than ever. Here are some thoughts for avoiding spending too much on the new Finecast models when you could be getting whole unit box sets for the same money:

1) Convert a Cyberwolf out of one of your plastic set Fenrisian Wolves. The cyber-bits from the Thunderwolf kit or Necron bits should be helpful along with some scratch converted parts from plastic rods if you're up to it. 5 Fenrisian Wolves are about $25, but the single Finecast Cyberwolf is also about $25. You can do the math, 5 for $25 is a better deal than 1 for $25.

2) Arjac Rockfist (pronounced Ar-yak just like Bjorn is said Bee-yorn or the word fjord is fee-yord, "j"s are like "y" in Nordic languages). He's not much different or any more spectacular than the regular Space Wolf Terminators, so buy yourself a whole box of 5 for only a bit more than the price of 1 Arjac and convert him yourself. Give him a cool custom converted hammer and or shield to have some fun with this one.

3) Space Wolf Lord On Thunderwolf. Again, this model is not all that much more special than the new multi-part Thunderwolf unit models, so buy a box or two of those and convert one to look "special" to be your Wolf Lord. There are enough cloaks and other cool bits in other GW kits both Space Wolf and otherwise to help with this one.

I started working on Ogre Kingdoms last fall and except for the Firebelly a friend got me for $25 at a flea market I converted my Tyrant and Butchers from plastic Bulls plus cool bits from other multi-part sets and some "Green Stuff". Since Ogre characters start at $38 each, it saved me a ton of money.
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Can we get some pictures. please? I like pictures

yeah pictures would be awesome

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Learned Hand View Post
    yeah pictures would be awesome
    Thanks for the interest, unfortunately I haven't actually started this work, it's just what I am planning to do or thinking about doing. I'd really like to do the Cyberwolf and Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf if not Arjac.

I did buy a box of Thunderwolves and a box of Fenrisian Wolves last weekend and I've already started looking at Necron bits in contemplation of doing a Cyberwolf conversion. If and when I get to this project (I'm still painting Necrons) I'll try and post some pics.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Battle-Brother

Good tips here, I might have to rework some old parts and start up again

I like the cloak for the wolf lord....but it's true, converting one from the plastic kit makes more sense. Specially if you buy 2boxs anyway.

Librarian

I converted Arjac ages ago i used a square from the custom made moving basing kit GW sells, as i had the kit anyway.

this are all really good ideas, and sound advice, i want the Arjak model just because i love the SW special charters in termmie but the rest are all really sound ideas, i did an Arjak out of my terrmies when they came out but he dosent look that interesting he just looks like a cool lord. the wolves are also a good idea, the lord looks good but not that much better then the useall wolves so for a good price point 2 boxs would defiantly be better

Don't forget all the cool wolf bits from Fantasy Empire range. I have tons of wolf cloaks, wolf head decorations, hairy bearded guys who's heads would be perfect for un-helmeted spacewolves etc...

yep we still waiting for photos update W.I.P.