BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'll wait for better pictures.

Though I'd like to see something more along the lines of female guardpeoples in long coats, or armor similar to Vostroyans than what's basically a cadian conversion kit. Maybe female guard with carapace armor and legs that use the cadian arms?

Definitely something I'd love to see. Of course, they'd have to do something to make them not look like Sororitas with lasguns, but I imagine they could pull it off.

Nice effort, but very poor execution. While we don't want overly exaggerated females, some degree is necessary for a tabletop mini- that is why heroic scale models have larger hands, heads, and weapons. These look like normal cadians with stick legs and thinner helmets.

More pictures may help, but I doubt it.

The Shadowforge/ Doctor Thunder ones are more exaggerated, but work rather well.

I'd still love to see what Jes and Juan could come up with now.

:|

If someone is actually wearing military combat armor, you will not be able to tell what gender they from anything but their face. It is super, super easy to make female Guardsmen just by doing a headswap, unless for some reason they all have H-cup breast implants. (Hint: don't f*cking do this, it makes you look like a horrible creep and no on wants to play you. No, I don't care if you mutter something about the word Slaanesh in there, it's still awful.)

"Boob armor" like the Sororitas wear and like every single fantasy/sci-fi image depicts is purely an invention of the 20th century mind and has absolutely no basis in reality. Barring literal form-sculpted gear, even "subtle" versions like Eldar/DE are mere fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    The Shadowforge/ Doctor Thunder ones are more exaggerated, but work rather well.
    Please tell me you are kidding.

Not true, women are a different shape. Also this stupid misconception has come about from women being forced to wear male shaped body armour which doesn't fit them well, causes discomfort and is extremely dangerous as it doesn't distribute the force from shots properly. There is a lot of effort being put into developing female specific body armour to rectify this, and when that happens female soldiers will, in fact, be obviously female. As it stands it depends on the woman, if you have a petite or athletic build you will probably be mistaken for a boy in armour, if you have a more feminine build then not so much.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Agreed about needing better photos. Those legs look a little too scrawny to me.

If I were to do this, I'd start with an eldar body, use very thin GS/Milliput to put fatigues over the eldar armour and swap out the shuriken weapon for a lasgun, rather than try to slim down an existing cadian.

As others have said, the big arms throw the proportions off too much.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yea, I can't say I like them much, it could be better in person, but from the picture the faces look... not so great, and I have to agree with the other complaints about arm to rest of body ratio problems.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Not true, women are a different shape. Also this stupid misconception has come about from women being forced to wear male shaped body armour which doesn't fit them well, causes discomfort and is extremely dangerous as it doesn't distribute the force from shots properly. There is a lot of effort being put into developing female specific body armour to rectify this, and when that happens female soldiers will, in fact, be obviously female. As it stands it depends on the woman, if you have a petite or athletic build you will probably be mistaken for a boy in armour, if you have a more feminine build then not so much.
    Huh, you know I hadn't considered that, I was just thinking about how modern armies use the same body armor for both genders. Learn something new I guess. This does make sense, although I agree that fantasy body armor is often exaggerated for women. Now I'm kinda curious about their research.

I put these on the site last nite since I was adding the entry to the new website design as well.. Reason being - I had numerous request to buy them from dakkadakka.com users who had seen them in a post and now they can without emailing me .

The picture used was sent earlier this week from the local painter I had work on them, he does not have the best camera or set up. I have the actual models in hand now so I will be updating the photo, adding some unpainted single figure photos etc here soon.

I do not think I had posted these on BOLS yet so here are some other photos, notice the slimmer legs and torso. I still used the GW Cadian IG arms and weapons, some people approve, some dont. Personally, I would use them just fine, as it would save me as a customer the trouble of modifying arms etc.

There are some arms in the works that will be sculpted especially for these pieces, but then you run into the issue of cutting and gluing on lasguns that GW molds onto the arms on their models already.

Nick - Chapterhousestudios.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IG 001.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	1291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IG 002.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	1292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IG 004.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	1293  

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Would you like to back this up? Yes, women do wear different body armor than men, but the difference is not particularly visible when you're looking at it from the outside/upper layers. Similarly, plate or other archaic armors are essentially the same for both genders in all visible ways- having any kind of "armored cleavage" would only provide a fatal point for impacts to focus on, and in a handy dead-center-of-mass location, too. Yes, armor does need to be fitted to its wearer, and there are meaningful differences between genders, but ALL armor needs to be fitted to its wearer to be used properly and the fact that you have half an inch or more of material and ten-plus pounds of weight on you tends to minimize any visible differences. From the surface, you will only be able to see boobage if the designer has gone out of their way to emphasize it with the design.

Do a simple image search for "female body armor." Look around at any sort of forum dedicated to that sort of thing. Female physiology isn't visible from the surface layers of pretty much any type of significant body armor. (If you're talking just a simple kevlar vest, then yes, that's a different matter, but Flak is much more akin to the full-body armors worn by the military and riot police. Unless you're a Catachan, in which case it's a sleeveless vest and a bandanna.)
    Last edited by AbusePuppy; 08-11-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast