BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

I have to say this has gone off topic... But I believe it is far more intresting now . Anyone British been to Leeds Royal Armoury? (sorry to everyone else who isn't... Even though the question is still going out to everyone, as some people who are not may have been )
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus-Master-of-The-4th View Post
    I have to say this has gone off topic... But I believe it is far more intresting now . Anyone British been to Leeds Royal Armoury? (sorry to everyone else who isn't... Even though the question is still going out to everyone, as some people who are not may have been )
    Well ... no, and yes. Not British, but I've been to Leeds - a couple decades ago, though. JOY-GASM!!! Can't forget the elephant.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Leeds is a good museum, I have some issues with some staff members which I won't go into here. But the collection is excellent, one of my favourite pieces is this:

Pity the rest of the harness is lost.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Leeds is a good museum, I have some issues with some staff members which I won't go into here. But the collection is excellent, one of my favourite pieces is this:

Pity the rest of the harness is lost.
    Thats a helmet made for Henry VIII? isn't it (not sure though?)? But yeah.. Bit creepy though :L
    [I][I] =][= "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse” =][=

Librarian

I'm now a bit scared to say that I used to work at the Armouries... though it was only a gift shop gig while I was attending the College of Music so it's probably not me that EG is pissed at...

Anyway, yeah it's quite good. Also, the armoury at Wawel Castle in Krakow has tons of 15th and 16th century German weapons and armour if that's what you're into.
    Touched by His Noodly Appendage

Yep, gifted to Henry VIII by Emperor Maximilian I, from memory. Or was it Charles V? Hm no I think it was Maximilian. I'm too lazy to google it to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus-Master-of-The-4th View Post
    Thats a helmet made for Henry VIII? isn't it (not sure though?)? But yeah.. Bit creepy though :L
    Hehe, no it was one of the 'expert' staff, an assistant curator or some such thing. I don't think he even works there anymore.
    I've been trying to get to Wawel castle for ages, something always comes up which interferes whenever we get near Poland.
    I also recommend Schloss Ambras at Innsbruck and the Landeszeughaus at Graz, both in Austria, for anyone interested in armour.

A fair proportion of the stuff in Leeds is German or Italian in origin funnily enough, it was Henry VIII who actually founded the first proper English armour manufactory and even then it still had to import steel from Germany to produce anything. He still commissioned harnesses from German makes too. I think Time Team excavated the armoury site a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Mind View Post
    I'm now a bit scared to say that I used to work at the Armouries... though it was only a gift shop gig while I was attending the College of Music so it's probably not me that EG is pissed at...

Anyway, yeah it's quite good. Also, the armoury at Wawel Castle in Krakow has tons of 15th and 16th century German weapons and armour if that's what you're into.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I would say it was more likely to be Maxmillian... I could check to, but I can't be bothered either :L

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yes you need more to get larger armies but contrary to popular opinion 500-750pt games are perfectly fun and you can scale up over time. You don't need to have 1500 points right away, you can if you have the money but you don't need to.
    They are not nearly as fun - or as balanced - as games in the 1500 pt range. And it's also difficult to find players who are willing to play at such a small points level.

In other words - not really a viable option. It's technically true that you can play GW games at a small points level, but the reality of the situation is a bit different.

Librarian

Huh, recently I decided to browse the GW site and it's prices are back to how they were before. That is, $49.50 for a Leman Russ instead of $83.

I'm baffled. And no longer priced outta the hobby. But mostly confused; I'll turn to some Jameson for answers.
    "Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse."

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Lewis View Post
    Huh, recently I decided to browse the GW site and it's prices are back to how they were before. That is, $49.50 for a Leman Russ instead of $83.

I'm baffled. And no longer priced outta the hobby. But mostly confused; I'll turn to some Jameson for answers.
    thats just the Auzzie tax. Grab a bottle of Bundy and join the club.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast