BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    Love this thread.

My wife, of all people, witnessed the coolest thing at Adepticon while I was shopping on Sunday.

She overheard a dad and his maybe 10 year old son. Dad was on the phone, doing the "uh huh, uh huh" bit. The son was glued to the one half of the conversation he could hear.

Dad puts away the cell phone.

Son starts saying "so, what'd she say? Can we, I mean can we? Will she let us?"

Dad replies "yup, mom just said we can go pick out a new army."

Kid fairly explodes in excitement. Dad and son go off into the vendor area to the sound of the son extolling the virtues of all the various 40k armies that he thinks they should choose from.

Now that...that is what this hobby should be about.
    This almost made me well up, geez!!!

My son who is 7 when he saw my 25th edition Battletech box set asked if we could have a game, (we've played Spacehulk before), went through one game with the quickstart rules, now on to the 6th or 7th game with the full rules and he's just kicked my *** all over the shop, I have never seen him so happy as he knew I wasn't giving him anything he just plain outplayed and outrolled me!

Occuli Imperator

Ahhh the dreams of the parent: to have his kids be better than they are... And then to kick your face in with an 8' tall super soldier!

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Man, I'm still (hopefully) about a decade-ish out from having kids, but I hope to God that, when I do, they will be be interested in doing a hobby along with their father.

Got a few stories to share.

I remember playing when I was 9 or10ish and my parents buying me the third edition SM/DE starter box as a valentines day present. I was so excited. I would go and play with my one friend every Friday night after school. Problem was my mom eventually stopped letting me go because she thought it wasn't appropriate for kids my age to be playing against 20some adults at a hobby shop. I thought that was the end of the hobby for me.

Freshman year of college I picked the hobby back up and have since gotten to play against a handful of "young bloods" in my area. Needless to say, the kids around here have moxy, and make decently hard lists, all things considered, that give me a run for my money. Yeh, Honour Guard with Pedro really take it out of TWC, especially if they're in a Land Raider.

On a final related note, back in high school the theater group did the play Les Miserables. We had a little girl to play little Cossette. The girl who played little Cossette was ever so proud to tell us all about how she loved going to conventions with her daddy and that she was a level 12 dwarf fighter with an axe. All the guys in theater had to agree that that was pretty awesome.

Edit: Oops, forgot that that word could be taken out of context to men something bad. Had to use "moxy" instead.
    Last edited by Zeitkraft; 04-21-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

At out LGS a player has two sons 10 and 12 who play 40k (dad plays necrons and mainly sticks to WFB) and against others they are always respectful and great sports but the once in a blue moon they get dad to play 40k they are ruthless! Because dad doesn't know the SM codex I've seen them throw out all kinds of crazy things such as apothecaries giving 4+ invuls not FnP, and repairing viehicles on a 2+ when the tech marine has no servo arms lol

As for me I have a 4yr old girl and 11 month old son. My daughter alway likes to watch while painting and thanks to her I have a tactical rainbow coalition squad "paint this one purple, or blue, pink" and maybe when my son gets older he may be interested but they both like looking thru the Horus Heresy art book I have. My daughter loves the picture of Fabius Bile pre heresy (probably because he's in purple armour)

Battle-Brother

Two kids were arguing over some pointless rule at my local store when one of them says, "Man, I will beat you up!" to which the other kid looks back and simply replies, "you miss."

Battle-Brother

Coolest school project ever! My nine year old (3rd grade) had to complete a "how to" project over the break. He picked up my copy of GW's "How to Make Wargames Terrain." He completed a Rocky Hill:

Sorry for the pic heavy post. He completed the entire project with only guidance from me. Did a great job.

Very proud moment for this Dad.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have a good/long story.

I was at a tournament at the local gaming store when this little kid buzzes right up to our table. I was playing the only thing I ever play, (and own) my IG and I was facing off against an Ultra Marine player. I had this massive, massive foot slogging 2.5k army spread out everywhere with a single tank, and my pride an joy, my Death Strike Missile. Now, this thing looks like the description in the IG codex. The missile itself is on the modified chimera chassis but missile was hand crafted by a very close friend (for my b-day!) and is approximately, ohhhh, two and a half times as long as the tank it sits on. It has a nice big shark smirk you would see on the front of a WWII America fighter and on either side the Cobra Command symbol.

So anyways, this kid comes buzzing up to our table and is just standing there, head barely clearing the table. (5 maybe 6 years old?) He sees that I out number my foe by possibly 8 to 1. (he had guys in transports so it made it look a lot worse) Then this kid freezes and his eyes grow wide. Just as I finish my turn and give the old "you're turn" to my opponent the kid slow turns to the Ultra Marine player and says, "You have to beat him..." My opponent chuckles and replies something to the effect of how he'll try and that's the general idea but the kid presses onward, "No, you don't understand those are bad guys!" My opponent asks this little kid how he knows that and the kid curtly replies, "Everyone knows that the G.I Joes are the good guys and Cobra are the bad guys. If you don't beat him then he'll use that missile to hold the world hostage!" Then the kid zooms off saying something about the fate of the world and my opponent and I have a good laugh.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    I have a good/long story.

I was at a tournament at the local gaming store when this little kid buzzes right up to our table. I was playing the only thing I ever play, (and own) my IG and I was facing off against an Ultra Marine player. I had this massive, massive foot slogging 2.5k army spread out everywhere with a single tank, and my pride an joy, my Death Strike Missile. Now, this thing looks like the description in the IG codex. The missile itself is on the modified chimera chassis but missile was hand crafted by a very close friend (for my b-day!) and is approximately, ohhhh, two and a half times as long as the tank it sits on. It has a nice big shark smirk you would see on the front of a WWII America fighter and on either side the Cobra Command symbol.

So anyways, this kid comes buzzing up to our table and is just standing there, head barely clearing the table. (5 maybe 6 years old?) He sees that I out number my foe by possibly 8 to 1. (he had guys in transports so it made it look a lot worse) Then this kid freezes and his eyes grow wide. Just as I finish my turn and give the old "you're turn" to my opponent the kid slow turns to the Ultra Marine player and says, "You have to beat him..." My opponent chuckles and replies something to the effect of how he'll try and that's the general idea but the kid presses onward, "No, you don't understand those are bad guys!" My opponent asks this little kid how he knows that and the kid curtly replies, "Everyone knows that the G.I Joes are the good guys and Cobra are the bad guys. If you don't beat him then he'll use that missile to hold the world hostage!" Then the kid zooms off saying something about the fate of the world and my opponent and I have a good laugh.
    That...is perhaps one of the coolest stories yet. Sheer awesome in text.

@Grimfoe: Awesome pics! You have a talented little guy there.

Battle-Brother

@Turner: Awesome story. That type of thing reminds me of why we play. We so often lose sight of that kind of thinking. But it's really cool.

@scadugena: Thanks. We had a blast working on it. It was great showing him how to do things and having him actually do the work himself. Especially something like this where it can look so nice when he's done. Pretty easy project, actually, but it makes a great place for him to start.

He claims he wants to make an entire board to match. A canyon board with a river in the middle.

That would be cool.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfoe View Post
    @Turner: Awesome story. That type of thing reminds me of why we play. We so often lose sight of that kind of thinking. But it's really cool.

@scadugena: Thanks. We had a blast working on it. It was great showing him how to do things and having him actually do the work himself. Especially something like this where it can look so nice when he's done. Pretty easy project, actually, but it makes a great place for him to start.

He claims he wants to make an entire board to match. A canyon board with a river in the middle.

That would be cool.
    Has the creative thumb already, I would so play on that board.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast