BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Talking Dark Eldar/Blood Angels deep strike assault question

hey Bols, I'm thinking of making a Lady Malys/ DAVID BOWIE list for some 80's hair metal falling-from-the-sky-and-eating-your-face-itude, with deployment shenanigans, however I want to have this question answered before I even start building the list to buy to.

Not sure if this has been answered before but if I use David Bowie (THE DUKE) he gives my raiders the abiltiy to deepstrike. This should be un-affected, rules wise, by the retro thrusters which can then be purchased to gain the deep strike rule...

My question is can my wyches get out and assault the turn they deep strike with the duke, where as they very specifically could not with the thrusters upgrade.

I looked through the FAQ's and didn't see anything about this for Blood Angels' deepstriking landraiders either, so if this has been discussed before, I think the argument would be the same.

cheers, and thanks for any help

I believe it addresses this in the BRB FAQ, but for the record:

Any unit embarked in a deepstriking vehicle counts as deepstriking. Any units that deepstrike can not assault.

The difference between The Duke and Retrofire Jets is that it allows you to disembark, because if you are in a deepstriking vehicle you would not be able to fire (as it moves at cruising speed).

The only units that can assault the turn they deepstrike are Vanguard Veterans, Summoned Lesser Daemons, Summoned Greater Daemons, and anyone else who specifically says so.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by somerandomdude View Post
    I believe it addresses this in the BRB FAQ, but for the record:

Any unit embarked in a deepstriking vehicle counts as deepstriking. Any units that deepstrike can not assault.

The difference between The Duke and Retrofire Jets is that it allows you to disembark, because if you are in a deepstriking vehicle you would not be able to fire (as it moves at cruising speed).

The only units that can assault the turn they deepstrike are Vanguard Veterans, Summoned Lesser Daemons, Summoned Greater Daemons, and anyone else who specifically says so.
    It's on page six of the BRB FAQ. The Duke allows you to Deep Strike your transports and allow them to disembark which Retro Fire Jets don't like he said.

No Deep Striking assault shennanigans, I'm afraid. Even the headhunter dude can't assault when he comes on the board.

Veteran-Sergeant

Not sure about the Dark Eldar, but I know for a fact that with Blood Angels "A unit that deep strikes via a Land Raider cannot assault in the turn it arrives". Thats right off pg37 of the BA codex. As far as I know the only unit to be able to deep strike with jump packs and be able to assault are the Vanguard Veteran Squad. And even then you have to declare it before you deep strike, and if you are not within 6inches when you land you can not assault. (Are Ya Feeling Lucky?) Not sure of other codexs in this case.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

From the Rulebook FAQ.

Q: Does a unit being transported by a vehicle that has
    arrived by Deep Stike that turn also count as having
    arrived by Deep Strike? (p95)
    A: Yes.

damn, I guess I'm gonna have to figure out some way to use web-way's or something

thanks for the answers