BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    But how many TLA can we apply to a single AFV?

I think that's a fair way to define a tank. Once you add infantry capacity I suppose it could be argued it depends on the vehicles intended role?
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Role and concept will surely come into it. I wouldn't disqualify just for troop carrying ability but a vehicle primarily designed to carry infantry is an APC it isn't a tank just because they stuck a turret on it.

That said Bradleys are credited with more tank kills than Abrams in the First Gulf War. That was down to The Tow missiles and poor opposition though.

It's worth considering that Allied forces didn't consider vehicles like the Hellcat, M10 or M36 as Tanks

I guess the Great War British tanks would be more correctly refered to as "Landships" as that was their correct name the Tanks bit was just to through German spies off the scent.
    So, in this case, are you equating 'tank' with Main Battle Tank then? Because I consider tank to be broader than MBT as a definition, which would include the Bradley, but the Bradley definitely isn't an MBT.

Tank shouldn't just cover vehicles which are designed primarily to take out other tanks, because that excludes many WWII tanks, including the original Sherman and Matildas designed for infantry support, as well as pretty much every light tank designed for scouting. The Bradley as an APC tank would basically be a continuation of the infantry tank concept, but bringing infantry protection to a greater level.
    Last edited by Haighus; 07-22-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.