Good afternoon, all.

First up, I want to make something abundantly clear....

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT DECRYING COMP OR FAN MADE POINTS SYSTEMS. AT ALL. RESPECT THAT, AND RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF OTHER GAMERS TO DO AS THEY WISH

OK. Everyone grasped that? Then I'll begin

As I'm sure you're all well aware, Age of Sigmar is something of a radical departure for GW. Not only have they done away with any kind of force organisation outside of optional pre-set formations, but they've done away with points.

I know, crazy, right?

But hey. It's been about 6-7 months now so I dare say there's a few fellow mavericks out there who have embraced this.

What I want to discuss in this thread is how you've gone about not being a phallus when it comes to selecting your army for a game.

I'll kick off with my Undead force, which I'm currently working on (and who knows, might even paint. Someday. In the future. Possibly.)

Currently I've got the contents of the old Batallion, and the Malignant's £50 set. This in itself is a pretty reasonable army, with an equally reasonable variety of units.

Of course, I'm not going to stop there. I want more. I'm used to mahoosive armies, and dangit, I just can quit that.

But.....how to go about fielding a large collection in a way where my opponent doesn't just raise an eyebrow and then walk away? It's something I've been giving quite a lot of thought towards these past few days. And here's my take.

Ratio. It's all about the ratio. Brace yourselves, completely arbitrary opinion in 3....2....1..............here it comes

I have 20 Ghouls. I shall field them as a unit of 20 Ghouls. Mostly because I have....20 Ghouls, and I've got a thing against small units of infantry (PTSD from MSU and Min/Max days perhaps, and the sort of goon who claimed tactical genius from it?). They're not too shabby in a fight, but importantly, nothing most opponents would ever struggle to deal with. Huzzah!

But I want some muscle to back them up. As much as I've got a thing against small units of infantry, I've got a real thing for units of Monstrous Infantry. Like calls to like, so I'll probably be adding some really rather fighty Crypt Horrors to help the Ghouls deliver the old 1-2 punch.

So far, so good. There's a kind of theme right there - I'm taking the Ghouls because I've got them, and the Crypt Horrors because I like them. But just how many Crypt Ghouls? Well, I've settled on a unit of 3. Why, I can't really explain, but it feels about right, and would look about right on the board.

Likewise Skellingtons. 20, Spear and Shield, full command. Fairly resilient, and an important 2" range on the spears for some cunning stuff on the board. Much like the Ghouls, they're classic Undead fare, and shouldn't prove a nightmare for my opponent.

Now I want some real muscle to back those fellas up. Oh, HAI Morghast Archai. You'll do lovely for this - get in my basket, NAOW. They're handy in a fight, and stupid resilient as Undead go. Now I know my onions when it comes to Warhams, and these guys aren't meant to be particularly common - so just the two please, Mrs Wembley (bonus points for the archaic comedy reference).

And in a nutshell, that's pretty much how I want to go on. Pick an infantry unit, the pick a support unit of a similar ilk, rinse and repeat. When it comes to actually deploying for a game, find out what sort of stuff my opponent wants to field, and then try my best to match it. If he's using four characters, I can use four characters etc.

Right, slightly bizarre ramble, over to you guys.

And remember, this isn't about 'stupid comp, tcoch'. This is about simply not using one, for whatever reason.