Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
Its not though, that formation is to let you play a full company and get a bonus for doing so. The design team didn't make the decision to include that because they thought it would sell tanks, they did it because they wanted people to use Space Marines how the fluff depicted them
We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. However, why do space marines get a free 500+ points to play "how the fluff depicted them" when other armies don't? Where are the free points to make Chaos play the way they are depicted? And Imperial Guard? Orks? Sisters? Tau? Dark eldar? Sure, maybe the plan is to flip everyone to such a format, after all Ad Mech have such a formation and so do Dark Angels (though they're just space marines, so it's basically the same). But in the meantime, the rest of us are playing 500+ points down and GW doesn't care that it is blatantly unbalanced/unfair. And even once all the armies have such a free-points-granting-formation-whatever (though I sincerely don't believe that will come to pass as I firmly believe we'll be moved along to the AoS model before all the armies, most even, get such an update), that just means we're all playing much bigger battles then we think we are. Which means we had to get a lot more models to do so. Surely you see this is the case?

In the end, why add such a blatantly unfair mechanic to the game? And to be specific. You (GW) establish a measurement of fairness in your game (points). Play space marines the way we say = additional 500+ points. Play any other army = nothing you can do (yet)/too bad for you/buy some space marines. And sure, I suppose I could play a few broke-*** combo armies (eldar/Ad Mech with free points/whatever), but I won't. I'll keep painting, converting and building my armies and losing. The difference will be that the illusion that it's fair, that I have a chance, will be gone.