Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
WFB was definitely better than 40K with points. Really, the place where WFB stumbled was having an item here or there that was way too good (i.e. Banner of the World Dragon), and some armies could be tweaked to be beatstick, but I think those were relatively easy to fix up. And just limit the Horde formation to being only for models below, say, 9 points, so you didn't have hordes of elite troops (which kind of defeated the point of that rule).

Points weren't as much of a problem in WFB as they are in 40K. And even though the balance could sometimes feel off, it was never at the levels 40K is at right now.
Balance is one my one big issue with the game. Setting aside all the stuff I loved in Warhammer that is gone, and taking the game on its own merits, it isn't too bad. The oversimplification leads to a few dumb rules conundrums and it's a bit fiddly at times. It's also gets very long and tedious if you have any units with a significant number of models in them, but there is some good stuff in it and overall it is better than I thought it would be. But without a balancing mechanic it is broken to feck.