This was a discussion that came up on another 40k forum I haunt (shameless plug for 40kforums.com) in regards to terrain specifically, but it covered tables also.

Regarding terrain, I got the impression most people don't like the GW kits because of 'looks' (all the terrain looks the same!) and $$. The first thing I've always told people about 40k if they show an interest is that if $$ is a 'concern' then you're going to be 'concerned' when it comes to all things 40k so you should 'concern' yourself with something else entirely. Back in the day it was kewl making our own terrain, but now that I'm older with less free time I love being able to buy the kits and go to town! I also don't think that the kits 'look the same'. When I get home the beginning of Oct. I'll post some pictures of the terrain we've built using the various kits.

Regarding tables, it almost always came down to space being an issue. If space wasn't an issue who wouldn't want a table (8x4 or 6x4) at their house? Cost was mentioned, but not nearly as much of a factor as with terrain.

When it comes to basing your figures, building your own terrain, or a table I suggest you visit a hobby store that specializes in trains. You'll save a ton of money.

Anywho, I'm curious...

Do you use the GW terrain kits, only make your own terrain, both? Do you buy the GW base kits? Do you have a table at home, only play at the local shop, both?