Good evening folks and folkettes!

Well the title says it all really. Taking inspiration from the board shown in the 6th Ed rulebook and a recent WD article, I am going for it. Despite all its many, many faults, I do like the Realm of Battle Boards (RoBB) and look forward to the expansions GW were so keen on telling us would be coming. I'm even tempted to save up for a set of the FW boards. Maybe some of the Zone Mortallis ones as well... I'm going off on a tangent. Yes, the original RoBBs.

Mine have been painted brown for a few years now and have recently been sitting rather forlornly in the garage. I just couldn't think what I wanted to do with them to make them interesting to fight over and as a result I really wasn't bothering. Seeing the swamp just made something click in my head about how I wanted to do them.

Very much a work in progress, but a good start and has given me a bit more confidence to push forward with the project! I've used spray paints in a couple of different shades of green to be the murky swamp waters, with the brighter shade being where sand banks and shallows show through. I sprayed all of the low areas of the board with the darker green, followed by doing a few random blobby shapes in the lighter green around the shore line, the skull pits and any areas where the darker green hadn't covered too well, then used the darker green again to soften the edges of the lighter areas and give better definition to a few of the other spots.

I tried to keep the lines as natural/curvy as possible, even while working around the cracked earth. I plan on filling the cracks in with some clear lacquer or something. Hopefully they will just look like they are at the bottom of the pools of water.

For the skull pits, I plan on painting the skulls as you would normally, then giving them whole pit a very heavy green and brown wash, before filling them with the clear lacquer as well. I'll then go over the whole thing with some form of water effects (probably not the GW one as there just isn’t enough in a single bottle!) to give it a more cohesive look.

As you can tell, I really need to touch up the brown. I still have a huge amount of the original brown paint I used to paint it first time round. I will probably mix in a load of fine sand and go over all of the non-water areas to give miniatures more grip on the hills, as well as touching up the shore lines.

I have never done water effects on this kind of scale before, so any helpful tips will be more than welcome. Any other comments, criticsm, advice or questions are also great. Hopefully I'll be getting on with the skull pits soon. More pics then.

Shades