BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Skaven 2000pts

Default Skaven 2000pts

Okay, so this is my first warhammer fantasy army list and have only read through the rulebook once so expet so errors

Lords

Grey Seer
    • Screaming Bell
    • Skalm
    • Enchanted Shield

Should be a nice way to distract and harrass my opponent, hope casting the dreaded 13th or plauge a few times

Core

40 Clanrats
    • Shields
    • Standard Bearer
    • Musician

These guys will push the Screaming Bell

50 Clanrats
    • Shields
    • Spears
    • Standard Bearer
    • Musician

10 wide, 5 deep
    A nice big tarpit unit, with the horde and spears I should be able to fight 4 ranks deep with the 5th to soak up causalties

20 Clanrats
    • Shields
    • Standard Bearer
    • Musician

10 wide 2 deep or 5 wide 2 deep
    A small unit which can be used as a screen or more compact to sneak up the flanks

20 Clanrats
    • Shields
    • Standard Bearer
    • Musician

10 wide 2 deep or 5 wide 2 deep
    A small unit which can be used as a screen or more compact to sneak up the flanks

40 Stormvermin
    • Shields
    • Standard Bearer
    • Musician

10 wide 4 deep
    A threatening unit just to move up and assult really

Special

5 Rat Ogres
    • x2 Pack Masters
    • Masterbred Rat Ogre

3 wide 2 deep
    Just a simple heavy hitting unit

20 Plauge Monks
    • Standard Bearer
    • Storm Banner
    • Musician

10 wide 2 deep or 5 wide 4 deep
    Either used as a screen for a unit or just to cause trouble on one of the flanks with the banner hampering shooting

4 Warplock Jezzails
    • Sharshooter Team

Normallly 4 wide one deep
    There to add some shooting support

Army Total: 1999
    Lords 24%
    Core 50%
    Special 26%

Any thoughts welcome

Veteran-Sergeant

I just wrote this in another thread as well. If you're going with ANY shooting, drop the storm banner, as it affects your shooting as well if you pick a cheaper banner you can fit in another jezzail team. I love those things.

Also something to consider; because of the base size of the bell, you can have a 4x5 block on one side and a 3x5 on the other, and it legally counts as horde formation. This is probably the only instance you would want to run skaven in horde formation though, you really need the SiN rule to kick in as often as possible, and there are ways to negate it.

Skalm on the seer is smart now with the amalgamated profiles. Everything else looks alright. The bell itself is pretty fragile, and seeing as he is your only lord/hero choice, its a pretty big gamble. Be prepared to win big and lose big.

Edit: also, drop the shields off the storm vermin. They can't use them since they have halberds. That should also buy you something good with your free points.
    Last edited by Beta_Ray_Bill; 09-02-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    How many have fallen before you? How many have you sent below? How could you ever show pity? Is that a word that you know?

Why are you using horde units of skaven? You're sacrificing ranks, and as such sacrificing steadfast for what.... 6-10 more strength 3 attacks?you're not going to win combats ESPECIALLY with clanrats. Keep your 50 block 5 wide and 10 deep. They'll be steadfast until the end of time. Even stormvermin I'd reeeeeeally hesitate to horde up.

I would do 4 rat ogres (2x2) or 6 (3x2). 5 is just awkward.

For the job you're using them for, I'd replace the 20 man clanrat blocks with slaves instead.

If I had to guess it was because 8th edition had just come out when this list was posted and the OP wanted to try horded formations. I agree they just don't work for Skaven because we are pretty weak combatants, but horde units have their places even in their book. Horded Plague Priests can cause quite a bit of damage for instance.

As for the clanrat units, units of 20 can be used for bunker units. I realize the OP didn't state that as their use, but what he did state he would be better off with Gutter Runners or Giant Rats

4 Rat Ogres, 5 Rat Ogres, 6 Rat Ogres, etc... doesn't matter. Fit in what you can. Six isn't that much better than 5 and takes up almost the exact footprint.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com