BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Balrog to Blood Thirster Conversion

Building a BloodThirster for a buddy of mine out east. The base model is the Balrog from LotR. Yea I know you're saying just paint it red give it an axe and whamo you got a BT. Well I cannot just do that, he's naked for crying out loud, have to put armor on it. So here is the start of doing just that:

---PPC

Brother-Sergeant

Amazing work.

Are you using both brown stuff and green stuff?

I love the well-placed skull.

Chapter-Master

The chest piece looks incredible. For people like me that don't know, what are the benefits/differences to using the brown stuff over the green?

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    The chest piece looks incredible. For people like me that don't know, what are the benefits/differences to using the brown stuff over the green?
    brown stuff keeps hard edges better

Are you using both brown stuff and green stuff?

Yes.

The brown stuff: One of the things you'll notice when you start using it is how much it actually differs from the Green. Green works great for organic type things, and stuff with a lot of relief and detail. In sculpting those type of things green is more resilient and forgiving. It has a bit more memory than brown.

Brown does cure harder, it'll be more brittle but has better compressive strength where as green is flexible with more tensile strength in my opinion. That said, its one of the reasons I like to use brown for armor like what is on this model. You can get it to give you sharper edges and it smoothes out much quicker while sculpting than the green. And yes if you make a mistake on those large flat panels, brown is sandable. That doesn't mean you can get rid of finger prints and rough spots using green after its cured, that can be done by the technique I call shaving.

I can do armor like this in brown in probably half the time it would take me in green.

Librarian

I've seen a Balrog bloodthirster, I've also seeen a Sauron Daemon prince (or Primarch).

This is the best so far.
    "STUPIDITY, If your going to do it, go for GOLD!"

Brother-Sergeant

Really great work. I know it's a lot to ask, but could you post a small tutorial on how you do an armor plate? Do you lay the bulk down first and then sculpt a rim, or add the rim on top of the plate? Thanks.

Great sculpting!!

/M

Brother-Sergeant

Kudos on that armor, looks amazing keep up the good work.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast