I have been wargaming for 50 years "...and it doesnīt seem a day..." and I can seriously say that the 8th Edition 40K rules are the worst I have ever played with. Myself and my two sons have organised a knockout cup system, like the World Cup and we have used almost every army that has featured in the rules. The problem is that "Horde" armies are too powerful and donīt cost enough per figure. In effect, the rules are biased towards horde armies.

The terrain rules are too weak and the Morale system is flawed in that the lower the number of figures in your unit, the more likely you are to stay. There should be no Hand to Hand Combat, except in fighting for buildings. We have to accept that these are fantasy rules, in a fantasy universe, but we have to have some philosophy behind them and surely in the period envisaged by the rules, weaponry is so
powerful that "Shooting" and ranged weapons should dominate everything. Why not have firing taking place at long ranges, for example, Shuriken cannon range of 24 inches and the result of fire is that
everybody gets their heads down and advancing is very difficult. In effect, there is a "shoot out" at long range and superior numbers in firepower make you advance.

In cover, such as buildings and Woods, if a unit is inside, it should be hidden and not available to fire or be a target, unless it is at the edge or say 1 inch from the edge. Itīs 40K!...everybody would be
looking for cover and getting their heads down.

I have only mentioned the main points that spring to mind, and in future posts, I can expand upon this