BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 8 ed. Charge distance from deep strike - 8" or 9"???

According to the rule book, units entering play e.g. from teleportation chambers must be set up more than 9" from enemy units. Assuming the closest enemy are then charged, a roll of 8 would mean they are still more than 1" from the enemy, so failing the charge. I think this means you need to roll at least 9 when charging from deep strike.

Am I reading it wrong? Has this been FAQ'd?

Librarian

You're correct. You have to set up more than 9" when "deep striking" or similar rules. So, if you charge, an 8" charge gets you 1.1" away, and therefore fails. You need a 9.

If you roll decently, but not quite high enough, remember that you can use a Command Reroll to reroll one die per phase... this is a good place, since you can keep your higher rolling die, and reroll the lower charge die, and hopefully hit that 9" number.

Thanks for confirming. I thought that was the intention but I'd seen other commetns on posts that made me start to doubt.

Chapter-Master

Its just been in the FAQ for confirmation - 9 needed...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

The bit that caught me out on this was the Overwatch rule. A lad deep struck 9" from me, shot then charged and made it into combat. But my squad was armed with D-Scythes so were out of range of the deep striking unit. That meant I could not Overwatch because overwatch uses the normal shooting rules which includes weapons range.