BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Orks, Tyranids and the warp

Hi everyone. So I have been reading over the Tyranid Codex and have started to wonder what GM means Shadow of the Warp to mean. Iv read enough to know it messes with warp travel and Astropath communication, as well as anyone who can use the warp. But does this mean that the Tyranids are a psychic race, and that the hive mind uses the warp to control its brood. Or is this just a byproduct.

So on a similar note, it does not seem that the Ork psychic WAAAAAA is effected by the Shadow of the warp. Which is kinda strange if they both work in the warp. Also would a Hive Tyrant be hurt by a human black, or person who is harmful to warp energy?

Does anyone has any thoughts on this? Specifically what connected the Tyranids have to the warp?

Abbess Sanctorum

You're referring to a "Blank" I believe. Blank, Null, Pariah, etc., those with whose presence in the warp is something similar to a hole of non-existence. Any being with psychic power (including Hive Tyrants) are effected by a Blank. But I doubt they feel any pain per se, as no Tyranids are really bred to feel pain.

That's right, the WAAAGH! doesn't appear to be effected by the Shadow in the Warp. But then, it also doesn't appear to be effected by anything other htan there being more or less Orks in an area. Perhaps it belongs in a category of its own.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Yes your right, I ment Blank. I'm a bit dyslexic at times. So do you think that if the Tyranid Hive Mind is in the warp, if you kill a hive Tyrant with a Blank, then you will stop it from rejoining the Hive Mind and there for stop it from being reborn?

Abbess Sanctorum

No clue. Blanks are poorly understood in-universe by anyone but the Necrons, and they aren't talking.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Gray View Post
    Yes your right, I ment Blank. I'm a bit dyslexic at times. So do you think that if the Tyranid Hive Mind is in the warp, if you kill a hive Tyrant with a Blank, then you will stop it from rejoining the Hive Mind and there for stop it from being reborn?
    You're totally thinking of the Dark Templar killing Cerebrates, aren't you?

I'm not even totally sure the Tyranid have a distinct enough personality to really be "reborn", honestly. I think the Hive Mind just recreates creatures with the same set of abilities as other creatures it's created before. So a blank killing the Swarmlord wouldn't kill the Swarmlord forever, just kill that version, which the Hive Mind could then create again.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are multiple Swarmlords (or other special character bugs) operating at any given time within the different hive fleets, none of whom are resurrected versions of the original... just new versions of the old beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    You're totally thinking of the Dark Templar killing Cerebrates, aren't you?

I'm not even totally sure the Tyranid have a distinct enough personality to really be "reborn", honestly. I think the Hive Mind just recreates creatures with the same set of abilities as other creatures it's created before. So a blank killing the Swarmlord wouldn't kill the Swarmlord forever, just kill that version, which the Hive Mind could then create again.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are multiple Swarmlords (or other special character bugs) operating at any given time within the different hive fleets, none of whom are resurrected versions of the original... just new versions of the old beast.
    "Unlike many other Tyranid creatures, Hive Tyrants are incredibly intelligent and completely self-aware"
    "Should a Hive Tyrant be slain, the Hive Mind can simply grow a replacement, imbuing it with the same experiences, character and knowledge as its predecessor." -Page 34 for the Tyranids codex

Hive Tyrants absolutely have a distinct enough personality to be reborn, and in fact that is exactly what happens when the Hive Mind makes a new version of one.
    "You look at all this gunline and think: 'I could assault with this!'"
    "D*** it, Sam! Stop counting to such high numbers!"

Huh... Hive Tyrants are Cylons. Didn't know that.
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

And therefore, Necrons are Centurions. Huh?
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Veteran-Sergeant

Welcome to 40K, we rip of a story here, a character concept there, mimic movies, etc. But we're awesome 'cause we've been around for 20 years!

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Gray View Post
    Hi everyone. So I have been reading over the Tyranid Codex and have started to wonder what GM means Shadow of the Warp to mean. Iv read enough to know it messes with warp travel and Astropath communication, as well as anyone who can use the warp. But does this mean that the Tyranids are a psychic race, and that the hive mind uses the warp to control its brood. Or is this just a byproduct.

So on a similar note, it does not seem that the Ork psychic WAAAAAA is effected by the Shadow of the warp. Which is kinda strange if they both work in the warp. Also would a Hive Tyrant be hurt by a human black, or person who is harmful to warp energy?

Does anyone has any thoughts on this? Specifically what connected the Tyranids have to the warp?
    I can throw in my two cents on Orks but I will leave the Tyranids to the experts.

My understanding of it would of course affect an Ork Weirdboy but not the innate psychic abilities of Orks (their Waaagh or equipment). In these instances it is the Ork psychic powers that affect the warp and not the warp affecting them. In the literature, Orks can’t be corrupted (anymore thanks to retcon), and can even travel into warp space with little risk (other than the occasional daemon using an ork’s face as a warp hole). If this is upheld than a Blank could affect a weirdboy’s powers, but the race as a whole.

Melissia, feel free to rein me in if I’m too far out into left field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast