BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

$75 for a one-day tournament is much too high, regardless of prize support. Even the big cons only have a $30 entry fee, and the prizes are amazing. This tournament seems to be geared toward the non-power-gamer with all of the sportsmanship, comp, and painting scores, too.

What is VDR? Something from Chapter Approved?

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    $75 for a one-day tournament is much too high, regardless of prize support. Even the big cons only have a $30 entry fee, and the prizes are amazing. This tournament seems to be geared toward the non-power-gamer with all of the sportsmanship, comp, and painting scores, too.

Its a two day "con" that's nothing but a tournament. VDR is the old Vehicle Design Rules from a white dwarf ages ago.

Of course it could just be that they haven't updated their website for 5th edition but that's even more horrifying.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    What is the difference between Composition and Army list? Dump this crap already.

Ugh... Here goes the chipmunking...

Get painting the F-CK out of competitive gaming tournaments FFS!! Go enter a painting contest.

I assume this means getting objectives and winning? This should be 100% of the scoring.

This isn't weird at all. Erratas are official changes to all books that each player must use. FAQs are just house rules. If a tournament organizer does not wish to follow these house rules, that is their right. I have seen a few tourneys that do this.

Yeah.... This is just stupid.

Wow... This is even dumber....

Yeah.... Don't bother attending.... Especially with 3rd edition VDR rules in effect.

This tourney sounds like pure crap. Avoid it all at costs.
    Yeah, I agree. Though most tournaments I've seen do treat FAQs as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post

Well, with how horrible the rules set-up is here, they might as well add insult to injury and charge a ridiculous amount to play as well.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

VDR is Vehicle Design Rules, where you can make your own vehicles tanks and what not. Not generally used anymore, a bit shocked to see this.

Basically you can make anything you want, be way over powered if you like, but you pay the points for it. Even if you build a tank exactly as is in a codex now, the one you make will cost more.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chapter-Master

A tau player, could, however, stick a short-barreled TL railgun (36" instead of 72") on every one of his vehicles for relatively cheap. One round of shooting and all the enemy vehicles are destroyed, then you just need to clean up.

Not that it would be game breaking, but it would be annoying.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Shavnir View Post
    So a couple friends and I were talking about a tournament that was coming up and were actually cooking up some interesting lists (backward comp rules will do that to you) but then we noticed some odd things about it.

1 ) It has a 20 point category for Composition then another 10 point for Army List.
    2 ) Sportsmanship scores (lol) accommodate 60 points
    3 ) Appearance has meticulously detailed guidelines totaling 30 points
    4 ) Gameplay's only worth 78 points

and then it got really weird

5 ) GW Errata is in effect but not the FAQs. You're expected to just kinda decide on a per-game basis I guess.
    6 ) Imperial Armor is in, Apocalypse's incredibly powerful flyer rules are in but the various Apocalypse AA units are not
    7 ) VDR is allowed. Holy 2004 batman.
    8 ) The tournament is somehow 75 dollars without any mention of prize support

Honestly maybe I'm being a bit harsh on them but is it just me or are at least a few of these things a bit of a turn off when it comes to a tournament?
    Weird yes, but then weird can be fun. I like playing at events, not because I expect to win, but because it means I can play a lot of games in a short period of time against people I don't normally play against. Consequently while I like to do well, it's secondary to how much I enjoy the games. To be honest some of my most memorable/enjoyable games have been close run ones where I lost on the last dice roll.

This event seems more tailored to anyone who just wants to get their "toys" out and have a bit of a laugh. The only thing that would put me off is the cost.

Wow seriously? Thats lame and here I am complaining about 10pts for comp at our local tournys lately. Yeah I wouldn't go. $75 to play something with wonky rules that you are likely to leave feeling upset about something is redic.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by mysterex View Post
    Weird yes, but then weird can be fun. I like playing at events, not because I expect to win, but because it means I can play a lot of games in a short period of time against people I don't normally play against. Consequently while I like to do well, it's secondary to how much I enjoy the games. To be honest some of my most memorable/enjoyable games have been close run ones where I lost on the last dice roll.

This event seems more tailored to anyone who just wants to get their "toys" out and have a bit of a laugh. The only thing that would put me off is the cost.
    But for $75?

And tournaments are a horrible way of getting in "fun" games. When you put people in a situation where they're competing for something, they'll do just that; compete. That's a lot of fun, but it doesn't mesh with the weird stuff well. A campaign event or apocalypse game, sure, but a tournament setting probably won't work well for this.

Apparently the main attraction is the variety of scenarios. There's going to be a scenario per table and they can be pretty intense.

Either way its not an event I'm interested in.

Now why can't we get like a 1500 or 1750 point version of 'ard boyz that uses INAT. That would solve like 95% of the issues with 40k tournaments right there.

Crazy shenanigans... most of em don't make sense, But i do think someone with a painted army, who did it themselves, and who was a nice player should stand a better chance at winning, rather then the flying blood angels dreadnought cheese fest.

anyone can copy a tournament winning army off the internet, But if your a dick, your still a dick. And it depresses me fielding my fully painted based army that i spent 5 years on, And fighting someone, who hasn't even primed theri army, and needs to super glue things together at the gaming table, it makes me want to pack up and go home right then.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast