BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Senekal View Post
    All Astronomi-con events are 1500 points.
    Heh, I should have figured that out when you asked about my 1500pt list.

He clearly didn't 'spam' anything though.
    Just for the record, I don't see spam as anything negative. Its simply shorthand for "taking multiples of similar units", and is a convenient way of quickly describing lists. If someone says "lash and oblit spam", you know exactly what they're talking about in very few words.

I'm sure they work fine that way but I would say that's more the local meta. As a guard player I find I lose more vehicles to close in attacks (meltas and assaults) than I do to long range shooting. There are exceptions of course but it's mostly true. Those S6 GK weapons tear tanks a new one in assault.
    The problem is, I face CSM a lot more than guard. Against Guard, assault is a great way of wiping out lots of vehicles. Against CSM and SMs, though, if you assault and blow up the transport with your GKs, the guys inside will shoot you to pieces, and finish you off in assault. You really have to open up Rhinos from a distance so that you can get the assault on what's inside. SM armies just have too many durable bodies with more than enough firepower to take apart GKs on foot, as soon as they get close.

Our meta is different from the 'usual' enough that armies that aren't considered to be viable in many conventional tournaments become a lot better.
    Heh, out of our local 'ard Boyz, we had a Daemonhunters player (me), and a Dark Angels player qualify. So I know what you're talking about here. Unfortunately, it didn't work out like that at the Semi's.

Only if they rely heavily on maxing out a single element of the list.
    Then the comp system has little to no significant effect on any list.

I've seen two rationals for comp. One is to try and eliminate power builds and help out weaker armies. The other is to encourage players to take different units and choices from what they normally would. It seems you're going with the latter here.

Just for the sake of argument, however, I stand by my statement that a comp system will, at best, have no effect on the strength of lists, and at worst will hurt weaker armies more than it hurts strong armies in the former case.

The comp score, by the way, is designed to reward players for taking 'a bit of everything'. That's intentional as that's how the Codices are designed to be used.
    I don't feel it's right for the TOs to try and dictate what the players bring. That should be up the player and the player alone. If they want to try out new units, that's cool. If they want to keep using the same units (which may be the only ones they own), they shouldn't be punished if they happen to have a list with a poor comp score.

So out of the two rationals for using a comp system, one of them doesn't work, and the second one I am ideologically opposed to. No wonder I don't like comp.

There are a lot of 'conventional wisdom' approaches to Necrons. I've fought the Destroyer Spam with my Guard and splashed it pretty handily. Troop spam is harder but in v5 has a hard time with vehicles. I don't have any Immortals at all, although I like the models and will probably get some some day.

My 'cron list is:

Deceiver
    Destroyer Lord with Res Orb, Warscythe, Gaze of Flame and Chronometron

3 Squads of 10 Warriors (no upgrades)

1 Squad of 3 Wraith

1 Squad of 5 Pariahs

1 Squad of 3 Destroyers

That's it.
    We've got one player who has necrons, but usually plays his eldar or CSMs, and he swears by Immortals over troops. Our other player likes to take three monoliths, but he doesn't play often either. We have a new girl who started showing up just as I left for the summer, too, so I don't know what she plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    They do a pretty fine job on Nob bikers too!
    Especially if you've got a GM's force weapon and a Thunderhammer buried in there, too.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

This sounds like a 40k Calvin Ball tournament.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617