BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Oh good, I should go bring my unfinished Ork army and intentionally seek him out just to ruin his day for being an elitist ***hole.

Adrelmech: Considering how much GW collectively likes to suck off the ultrasmurfs, I wouldn't doubt it that many of them are.
    You kiss your Mother with that mouth?
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Course I also think four certain people who have just registered last night and only posted in this thread and nowhere else are actually the same person logging in to different accounts, but then that's just me being pessimistic about the internet.

Nah. In this case it's just what happens when someone posts a link to this thread on my Facebook status.

I was actually trying to log onto my other BoLS account through Facebook but for the life of me I couldn't remember what all the stuff for it was so in the end I just made a new one.

<shrug> But believe what you like.

Oh yeah, sarcasm can be VERY difficult to pick up in text. Of course I'm sure you know that.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    You kiss your Mother with that mouth?
    No, but I do hug her with these arms. Kissing family members is for Frenchmen and Okies :P

Senekal: Yes it is. Typically, my shorter responses tend to be joking or sarcasm. If I really want to respond seriously to someone's post, I put effort into it. Some conversations are just not worth responding to, however...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Just wanted to say I didn't chime in to offend anyone. Sorry if it came across like that. No, I'm not the same dude spam posting a hurried defense of Astro.

Bottom line is we all CLEARLY have different opinions of the hobby, and that's totally cool.There are different tournys to support the different aspects of the hobby which is really killer if you think about it.

I just see a lot of guys who have never been to one of these long established events taking a dump all over their system. That's fine, we all have a right to our opinions, but these dudes are coming a long way to bring your gaming community an event that is really different and unique. They are going out of pocket and putting in late hours to prepare this for you, the players. These guys are not a business, as in there is no profit for them, this is purely for the love of the game. You don't want to scare off them or future tournament organizers with such a mindset. We had a bad dry spell in my hometown from people hating on tournament structure and it scared off organizers for years. Dry spells suck.

So if you hate the sounds of it and don't want to go out of your comfort zone, then don't sign up for it. I do think you should go check it out though. Astro is renowned for being a great social event as well as a great tourney.

Keep it real fellow nerds.

Abbess Sanctorum

And all I was responding to was the elitist moron who idiotically tried to claim that if you aren't into painting you should get out of the hobby, because his limited mental capacity is incapable of understanding the fact that there are multiple aspects of the hobby and any given person can like or dislike any number of those aspects without feeling the same about the rest.

While I cordially dislike both tournaments AND tournament organizers (no, I'm not directing this at anyone in this thread, rather I just have bad experiences with multiple examples of both, ESPECIALLY sportsmanship and composition scores), and believe that there are far better ways to run a tournament than how the majority of them run theirs... I don't say "don't run your tourney because I don't like it", rather, my statements amount to merely saying "I'm not gonna join, and I'd rather see one run this way". The difference is very important-- a disagreement about what one enjoys and how one would go about doing something is perfectly normal and rational, and isn't bashing.

As for going out of one's comfort zone, why don't you try that and do something different to how you normally set things up? Just because something works in Canada doesn't mean it works in other places. Even just the difference between the local gaming cultures of various cities in Texas can be jarring, nevermind between the various states, or even different countries.
    Last edited by Melissia; 06-16-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
    That's why I agree with the idea of having different awards for different things (Sportsmanship, Painting, General, etc) as it encourages different types of players to show up.
    Right. There's no reason to argue over all this stuff, when a perfectly reasonable solution that I've yet to see anyone complain about is sitting right in front of our faces. Have those separate scores, and everyone's happy.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Right. There's no reason to argue over all this stuff, when a perfectly reasonable solution that I've yet to see anyone complain about is sitting right in front of our faces. Have those separate scores, and everyone's happy.
    Agreed
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

While I cordially dislike both tournaments AND tournament organizers (no, I'm not directing this at anyone in this thread, rather I just have bad experiences with multiple examples of both, ESPECIALLY sportsmanship and composition scores), and believe that there are far better ways to run a tournament than how the majority of them run theirs...
    Been there, done that. Oh my yes. In fact experiences exactly like this is precisely why we created Astronomi-con. In fact, it's also the reason that the Comp score is completely transparent, published and right on the website. EVERYONE knows their comp score going in. No mysteries.

Sportsmanship, at least at our event is rated by opponents so I'm not sure why anyone would take organizers to task over that. Was something weird going on?

I don't say "don't run your tourney because I don't like it", rather, my statements amount to merely saying "I'm not gonna join, and I'd rather see one run this way". The difference is very important-- a disagreement about what one enjoys and how one would go about doing something is perfectly normal and rational, and isn't bashing.
    I think the point was that it is perfectly okay to say 'I'm not going to join' and event to discuss other ways of running or scoring things - but that it's important to recognize that while some scoring decisions are empirical, most are really matters of opinion. Like whether to score for army painting or not - or to require painted armies or not. There are those who really like hidden comp (I don't particularly) but even with my dislike of those systems I've been to good events that have used it and had fun at them. Something different isn't always a dealbreaker unless it's something that one has an extreme view about.

As for going out of one's comfort zone, why don't you try that and do something different to how you normally set things up?
    What makes you think he hasn't? Most long standing tourney players have gone to many different kinds of events, frequently including ones that aren't on their 'top of the list' for what they'd like. Last month I played in a local 'Ard Boyz event for instance. I know IB has - particularly when he moved from one country to another and had to get used to an entirely different gaming scene and culture.

Just because something works in Canada doesn't mean it works in other places. Even just the difference between the local gaming cultures of various cities in Texas can be jarring, nevermind between the various states, or even different countries.
    What is your point here? Just because something works in Canada doesn't mean it WON'T work in Texas either. In fact, I have it on pretty good authority from one of the major local organizers in Dallas that he thinks that it will work very well and I trust his judgement.

What's more, while Canada has a lower population than the US it is physically much larger and has lots and lots of empty spaces which cause even greater cultural divides than south of the border. Just like the areas of the US; Eastern Canada, Western Canada, Central Canada, the Maritimes, the Territories (to name only some of the large regions) have very different cultures. Newfoundland is as different from British Columbia as Maine is from Oregon. Possibly even more so given that there are people still alive today who recall it as a separate COUNTRY from Canada. Heck we have one entire large region in which the official language isn't even English!

Despite these vast cultural differences we run our events in cities THOUSANDS of miles apart. One in Toronto (think straight north of Upstate New York State), one in Winnipeg (straight north of North Dakota) and one in Vancouver (straight north of Seattle in Washington State). Each of these areas has different gaming cultures, and yet those events are successful. What's more other people have used our entire system, whole cloth including our forms, scoring system, scenarios, everything to run events in Idaho, Ottawa and a couple of other places. All successfully. In addition we have drawn people from far distant areas in the US and even other countries. They all had a good time and some of them routinely drive 14-15 hours to attend an Astro. From the US - indeed from regions around Chicago where the gaming culture is VERY different.

Yet for some reason you think that such a proven system shouldn't be tried in new areas? Why not? We haven't hit an area yet where it's been a failure - what makes you think Texas will be any different?

I can kinda see most of what Adeptacon is up to but why ban the FAQs? FAQs are the easiest cleanest way to settle disputes.

Also if you are going to allow the wildly unbalancing imperial armor books why bother with comp? Most people will not have imperial armor models, will have no idea how imp armor stuff works and those that do have the knowledge will run over the ones who don't.

I perfectly respect the right of anyone to run any tournament the way they want to but I dont quite get the reasoning behind this one.

Thanks for the support on the painting issue. I think I might stick around here! (Especially now that I found the "Ignore User" option....sweet! I invite anyone who disagrees with me to use it on me.)

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast