BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Abbess Sanctorum

Oh good, I should go bring my unfinished Ork army and intentionally seek him out just to ruin his day for being an elitist.

Adrelmech: Considering how much GW collectively likes to suck off the ultrasmurfs, I wouldn't doubt it that many of them are.
    Last edited by Melissia; 06-16-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: cleaned up post
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Good grief - 40K is a crappy ruleset for a competitive game.
    Truer words are rarely spoken
    Last edited by DarkAlman; 06-16-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlman View Post
    Great Emperor yes!

It's why my competitive gaming side goes to Warmachine instead... not perfect, but a heck of a lot more streamlined than 40k's sometimes/maybe/kinda rulings.

Of course, as Melissia said, there are a lot of people who love 40k fluff out there (me being one of them) and thus 40k remains my 'hobby' game of choice.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
    If this idea offends you, please, remain offended
    Heh, cute. I'm not offended, I just think the tournament is stupidly designed. Course I also think four certain people who have just registered last night and only posted in this thread and nowhere else are actually the same person logging in to different accounts, but then that's just me being pessimistic about the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlman View Post
    If you aren't into the rules and the gaming, get out of the hobby. *

Huh, so that's what being a douchebag feels like.

*Waits for someone to get self-righteous about this even though it was obviously sarcasm...*
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Heh, cute. I'm not offended, I just think the tournament is stupidly designed. Course I also think four certain people who have just registered last night and only posted in this thread and nowhere else are actually the same person logging in to different accounts, but then that's just me being pessimistic about the internet.
    If you aren't into the rules and the gaming, get out of the hobby. *

Huh, so that's what being a douchebag feels like.

*Waits for someone to get self-righteous about this even though it was obviously sarcasm...*
    <self-righteous>
    ZOMG! YOU DOUCHEBAG!!!!!! :P
    </self-righteous>

Naw, I can see the reasons not to attend. When I was younger those were the same reasons I never attended Astro (that and the price... I was a wee-chitlin after all). Personal choice to attend, but I think a lot of people who have been involved with Astro jumped in here just to defend them since the first 8 pages were witch-hunting blasty-ness!

My groups in-group tournament has a painting section seperate from the gaming section, but if you win both you get a bonus. Last time it was a fifty pound prize for each section and if you won both an extra fifty pounds. Seemed to solve the bickering about painting scores and such.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    My groups in-group tournament has a painting section seperate from the gaming section, but if you win both you get a bonus. Last time it was a fifty pound prize for each section and if you won both an extra fifty pounds. Seemed to solve the bickering about painting scores and such.
    How often does someone win both anyway?

In the past five years or so, three people have taken out both in 40k (we run two or three 40k tournaments a year). It happens a bit more often in the annual Necromunda, Gorkamorka, BFG and Mordheim campaigns, but the prizes are smaller. I won both in the 2009 Necromunda campaign.
    The only problem we had was that a couple of the less confident painters became discouraged when one of our better painters won twice in a row (40k) so we put in a rule that you couldn't win best painted army twice in a row for the same ruleset.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    How often does someone win both anyway?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

That seems like a good rule, especially if you have multiple tournaments in a year.

That's why I agree with the idea of having different awards for different things (Sportsmanship, Painting, General, etc) as it encourages different types of players to show up.

I admit that seeing the same person show up and sweep a series of rewards can be a bit discouraging... and we have the same problem for that up here (notably one great Eldar player). Of course it's not quite fair to penalize that player in subsequent events just because he's got a fantastic army. It's a tight rope sadly

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast