BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Default State of the game

Heya all,

So for the last 2 years I've been smashing around playing infinity (an amazingly well balanced game with a fantastic rules set, I can NOT recommend it enough.)
    But unfortunately the human sphere, while rocking doesnt quite scratch another itch of mine. namely, fantasy. Recently however I've heard that AoS's new rules are built more for skirmish games than old style massed battles or the robot smash stupid that 40k looks to be theze days.

So whats the game like at the moment, does it have significant tactical depth or is it all still about list building and beer and preztels.

also what size games do people play in terms of Pts and where can I find the rules for the old Wood elves units.

Specifically I'd be looking at sylvaneth with a core of elven cavalry specifically the wild riders and teh sisters.

So what are peoples thoughts?
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Take a look at the brief guide that Mr Mystery has done and in the comments AoS King has linked an in depth review, both are defiantly worth a read.

I find that people are generally playing at 2000 points but best to check with your local area.

All the rules are free on the age of sigmar app, warscrolls for those units are under grand alliance order, then syllvaneth, wanderer and wood elf factions.

You would need to get the generals handbook for additional rules and points values but that is cheap enough

Brother-Captain

The main tactical focus in WFB was facing and positioning. In AoS, positioning is still vitally important but handles rather differently. Pay attention to the ranges your units can attack at, because you can set up situations where a defensively strong unit is holding a enemy at bay while an aggressive but poorly armoured unit fills the gaps. Also be wary of Battleshock and what it can do to you, and how you can use it against your opponent.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Dyolfnai View Post
    Take a look at the brief guide that Mr Mystery has done and in the comments AoS King has linked an in depth review, both are defiantly worth a read.

I find that people are generally playing at 2000 points but best to check with your local area.

All the rules are free on the age of sigmar app, warscrolls for those units are under grand alliance order, then syllvaneth, wanderer and wood elf factions.

You would need to get the generals handbook for additional rules and points values but that is cheap enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    The main tactical focus in WFB was facing and positioning. In AoS, positioning is still vitally important but handles rather differently. Pay attention to the ranges your units can attack at, because you can set up situations where a defensively strong unit is holding a enemy at bay while an aggressive but poorly armoured unit fills the gaps. Also be wary of Battleshock and what it can do to you, and how you can use it against your opponent.
    Thanks, ill look into it.

Had a play around with looking at what I'd purchase and damn things got expensive fast so this project will probably be on the back burner for now (or change into a KOW project using the GW tree models, which are GORGEOUS)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Start Smol.

AoS is a deeper game than it first looks.

As other have said, Battleshock can be a killer, and learning how to stack that in your favour isn't especially easy.

Sylvaneth do benefit from being one of the newer styles of Battletome, in that if you go pure Sylvaneth, you get all kinds of snacky treats and perks to play with.

So do start with smaller games, if not a smaller collection. Those should serve to give you a taste of how stuff actually works on the field (ganking enemy units whilst leaving them out of range of all but one of your units is a good trick, if not necessarily easy to pull off).

Another thing I still struggle with is a tactical retreat. It's never been an option in the games I've played to date, so I don't really know what to do with it. I can see the benefit like, just haven't found out how best to make use of being able to freely leave combat.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks