BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Question 500pts IG/Witch Hunters

Inquisitor Grigori's Black Water Division
    500pts Imperial Guard & Witch Hunters

As I've stated in [url=http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7404]my introductionary thread[/url], swayed by some friends of mine, I've decided to create a 40K army.

The army of my choice is Imperial Guard, (somewhat) amended by Witch Hunters.

Since the parent's list compulsory choices must be made first, I've started to put together the base of the army, the IG part of the list. Glancing through the IG Codex, I've come to one conclusion: it's more complex than building a WHFB list And then there's all the wargear and the Witch Hunters I'll want to add...

So, yes, I could really use some help As we 'speak', I'm mucking about on my own, but if someone would be so kind as to provide a list of what he/she would include in an army of 500 points (with all prerequisites met...), I would really appreciate it

Despite my thanks in advance, there are still a few things I would request to be kept into account:
    • When I make an army, looks go above combat effectiveness. I will include and/or exclude units purely on theme and/or 'looks' reasons.
    • To state the obvious: one of the HQ choices and/or Elite choices should be an Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor. Speaking of him, I'll use [url=http://www.ironhalo.net/Images/40k/gideon01.jpg]this[/url] model; his wargear should reflect the model at least somewhat, but I love converting.
    • Speaking of theme and such, except Sisters Repentia, don't expect me to include (much) Sisters.
    • Somewhere in that list, I want to include an Autocannon.
    • Somewhere in that list, I want to include a Sniper Rifle, perhaps more, up to five.

I've got a rough idea of tactics to use: kit out the Inquisitor and his Henchmen for close combat, as well as the IG HQ choice and make the rest as shooty as it can be. Shoot up anything that advances, if it gets too close, charge.

So. With the above in place, I hope someone out there is ready, willing and able to help me
    Last edited by Hellwolve; 05-26-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Checked spelling and such.

Librarian

Just out of interest, what makes you want to ammend the Imperial Guard with Witch hunters in the first place?

at such a small points value, you're going to find it tough just fitting the imperial guard in there let alone any fancy witchunters.

I'm not saying its impossible, just curious as to why 500points of guard alone isnt enough?
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Brother-Sergeant

It's all because of more than theme reasons alone, admitedly. The IG bit comes about because of the theme I want in there; [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin-Roh]Jin-Roh[/url] and [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killzone]Killzone[/url]. The Witch Hunters come about because within the afformentioned group of friends, there are already two of the six people that play IG; I want some extra 'stuff' And I've got the model for an Inquisitor...

Perhaps not the best reasons, but I see little reason not to try

you will need at least two standard units. i would suggest penal troops. they are not as expensive as an infantry platoon and would be very fluffy lead by an inquisitor. some tank would be nice, perhaps a leman russ. you will need an imperial army HQ either. a lord commissar would be the cheap option. with an at least a little bit armed inquisitor you are at ca. 450 points, i would guess. the rest of the points you could use for a rhino, some ratling snipers or perhaps an deathcult-assassin

Brother-Sergeant

Some interesting suggestions there A mate of mine suggested two Veteran Squads for the compulsory IG Troop choices and I figure that if I can manage, I will. Hadn't thought of the Penal Troops...

Well,

The very basics are two troops and an HQ.

A command squad with no upgrades = 50
    Two Vet squads with no upgrades - 140 (70 each)
    That is 190.

Now the real question is, what theme?

Mob army?

You could build two platoons:
    PLT CMD SQ X 4 flamers = 50
    2x Squad with Grenade launcher and autocannon = 130 (65 each)
    Both together = 180
    x2 platoons = 360
    A command squad with 4 Meltas = 90
    leaving you with 50 points of inquistor fun.

A Tank in the mix?
    A command squad with 4 Meltas = 90
    Leman Russ with Hvy Flamer = 150
    2X Vet Squads With either Demo or X3 meltas, or grenadiers ETC 100 each or 200.
    That leaves 60 inquisitor points

The Scouting army
    A command squad with 4 flamers = 70
    Valk=130
    Penal sq x2 = 160
    leaves 140 points!

Burn baby Burn!
    A command squad with 4 flamers = 70
    Hellhound x2 = 260
    vet sq with x 3 flamers = 85
    x 2 = 170.
    This army would be 500 but it would be burn the witch good :P.

Your choices are only limited by your imagination (and wallet).
    Our lascannons shall provide illumination to the Emperors word.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks, Javin That has given me more perspective...Seems I've given myself a b*tch of a task With some of the ideas gathered from this thread...Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I'll probably have something myself

As far as the theme goes...Well, I suppose it does boil down to a 'mob' - but a mob of IG led by an =][=, instead of an =][= leading SoB

Brother-Sergeant

As 'promised', my take on a list:
    HQ:
    Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor Lord: 45pts
    Wargear: Plasma pistol, 15pts, Power weapon, 10pts
    Retinue: Warriors: Veteran Guardsmen, 30pts

Sub total: 100pts

Company Command Squad: 50pts
    Veteran Weapons Team w/ Autocannon: 10pts
    Sub total: 60pts

Elites:
    Death-Cult Assassins: 40pts

Troops:
    Veteran Squad #1: 70pts
    3 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 15pts
    Sub total: 85pts

Veteran Squad #2: 70pts
    2 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 10pts
    Sub total: 80pts

Grand total: 365pts
    Left: 135pts
    As far as I can determine, that's a legal list and it'll leave me 135pts to kit the army out further from here on. Thoughts?

Also, the Death-Cult Assassins entry in the Witch Hunter Codex I've got has got me slightly puzzled. It talks about '1-3 Death-Cult Assassins', but no costs are mentioned to add two more models to the (presumably) initial first model of the squad. Are the other two 'free', or am I simply not used to the 40K Army List notation?
    Last edited by Hellwolve; 05-27-2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Added question, edited layout.

in older codizes the points were noted in another way in the army list than in newer ones. the point cost for a deathcult-assassine is meant for one of them. you can have up to three as single units taking only one force organisation chart. but every one costs the given points.

I would really like at least one tank in my army...

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by sebi81 View Post
    in older codizes the points were noted in another way in the army list than in newer ones. the point cost for a deathcult-assassine is meant for one of them. you can have up to three as single units taking only one force organisation chart. but every one costs the given points.
    Ah, figured as much, but I didn't know for sure...Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by sebi81 View Post
    I would really like at least one tank in my army...
    Assuming I keep the Death Cultist and thus would have 135 points left, that'll need to be one of the following, then:
    1. A Rhino at 50pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
    2. A Chimera at 70pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
    3. A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for the Company Command Squad
    4. A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for either or both of the Veteran Squads
    5. A Hellhound, Devil Dog, or Bane Wolf
    6. A Hydra Flak Tank
    7. A Basilisk, Medusa or Griffon
    Of those, I like options #1, #3 or #4, #5 and #7 the most. I like the Rhino model, the Chimera(s) would either mean I'd have some points left or can field two, a Hellhound is fluffy as heck for a Witch Hunters army and, well, a Basilisk? Who can say 'No' to big artillery?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast