BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Ooooh...I'm thinking Gue'vesa Hammerhead...
    thats a good thought, it would fit that well!
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

A human designer not bound by the constraints of the mechanicus and with visible Tau influences. Would work really well.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I've got a lot of hybrid Gue'vesa stuff, but it's hard to get something that looks conceivably like an evolution born from a blend of the two.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

I've got a lot of hybrid Gue'vesa stuff, but it's hard to get something that looks conceivably like an evolution born from a blend of the two.
    Perhaps that tank is the right one then! One of the variants even had fins on it that remind me a bit of tau :

https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

If you were going for the finned option I'd use them as missile hardpoints rather than guns.

If only I still played 40K. :P

Ah well, what does everyone think of the new Russian Armata tank? It seems pretty futuristic and against the historical norm for Russia to be producing a more elite, high-spec tank, rather than working en masse with mediocre ones. Russian propaganda says it's the bestest tank ever. :P

I quite like the idea of a sealed cockpit, though the autoloader might be problematic and I hope the guys can get out if the internal cockpit ends up failing. It also has a 125mm Smoothbore, which sounds pretty scary, and plenty of armour by all accounts.

Speculation abounds on whether Russia can produce enough of them to actually matter, but they're apparently deployed in Syria at the moment. The worst they'll face off against there are stolen M1A1 Abrams, though.

Chapter-Master

Not seen them. Is that the T90 or it's successor?

Chapter-Master

If only I still played 40K. :P
    I can relate *stares at the armies on the shelf that have never been used*

*shame*

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Not seen them. Is that the T90 or it's successor?
    [URL="http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russias-armata-t-14-tank-vs-americas-m-1-abrams-who-wins-13825"]It's the new T-14,[/URL] the T-90's successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I can relate *stares at the armies on the shelf that have never been used*

*shame*
    I've started selling mine off, sadly I just don't enjoy playing the game much. All my unbuilt and unpainted stuff has been getting moved to either being sold, traded, or painted for cold storage. I'm hoping GW pull their finger out and make the game more enjoyable some time.

Hmmm, fair point, though I don't know if there's any real difference in capability between HESH or HEAT, I suppose it depends on the armour you're firing at. Given that the main things our armour takes on are knock-off Soviet tanks, APFSDS is pretty overkill. Fingers crossed we won't ever have to fight a modern army with either the Abrams or the Challenger II.

I imagine the phasing out of HESH is probably because of the perception that HE or HEAT is good enough to fulfill a similar role, and we're about the only country still advocating it, and isn't that typical of fusty, old Britain? :P

It's unsurprising given that WWII proved the best designs are the ones who do the job okay and are cranked out by the thousand. We had very capable tanks like the Churchill and the Cromwell, but it was the Sherman and the T34 that won that war.
    Well, Britain was pretty much the only big user of HESH in the first place! Other countries use it largely just for combat engineering purposes (which is what it was designed for originally in WWII). Having been reading a bit more on it, it seems the main argument is really whether rifled or smoothbore tank guns are used- smoothbore lends itself to more effective HEAT rounds, and rifled to HESH rounds. Rifled is a bit less effective for APFSDS rounds though, so that seems to be why smoothbore cannons are more popular currently, and hence HEAT rounds too.

I can't find if there is a difference in range between the two, although some stuff Grimmas said in another thread usggest rifled barrels have a greater range and the Challenger was intended almost as a sort of NATO tank sniper.

It looks really cool, though I imagine it's something that was let go due to cost or exorbitant maintenance demands. All those little heat sensors and the associated panels would be a real pig to maintain, especially out in a desert with a bit of sandy wind.
    Well, it seems it is a pretty recent technology (the video is 2011) so I may well not have been dropped at all, but just still in development. The modular nature of the tiles makes it look surprisingly easy to maintain- broken tiles can just be swapped out, although the reliability of the system could make this very expensive if the tiles fail frequently. I don't think it will be very useful against poorly equipped foes though, as the use of thermal imaging and smokescreens was one of the big advantages of Challenger Is against Iraqi forces in the Gulf war, as they could easily cut through the smoke and target Iraqi vehicles, but the Iraqi forces were not equipped with thermal imaging. This would suggest that only advanced forces have thermal capabilities, so having thermal camo is only really useful against other advanced tanks. Being able to avoid being targeted until the enemy is within 500m would be very useful though.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast