BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wraithknight...I dunno. There's no disputing it's good, and as Denzark points out, somewhat undercosted.

But on a personal level (feel free to disagree and pour scorn and derision upon I), I just can't get too scared over something that can have it's last gasp stolen by a feeble Heavy Bolter.

I feel once you get to Super Heavy, the disparity between Armour and MC goes entirely. At that point, both keep on keeping on at full effect until they're destroyed. But Super Heavy vehicles typically enjoy being able to laugh heartily at all but the heaviest of weapons, of which there are typically blissfully few. Hence my fanaticism for the Ordinatus. That shield is brilliant. Tends to mean that in the first turn, your opponent can't scratch your paintwork, giving you a shooting phase or two depending on who went first, to thin out the numbers of guns that actually can hurt you somewhat.

Plus, Super Heavies are completely immune to Fleshbane weapons. GC are a tough target for them, but we all know the Dice Gods do love Sods Law....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

To be fair, said Heavy Bolter would be a helluva shot given it needs 6s to Wound, and has to beat a 3+ Armour and 5+ FNP. It's not going to happen often, but it might be the lucky shot that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Didn't spot that - what a bummer. Is there any psychic powers which would allow you to Thunderblitz and then not have to snap fire so main gun can still be used?
    Power of the Machine Spirit would do it. Techpriests can hand it out to Guard vehicles, so I imagine Techmarines would do the same? (I don't know enough about the current Marine Codex to say it definitely does, though.)
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

It's still a better chance than a Heavy Bolter doing anything to AV12 and above - which is precisely 'no chance'

It may be a hangover from my 2nd Edition days, but I have a serious fear of Heavy Bolters precisely for those reasons. The number of times something well hard got gunned down by them was ridic. Ridic I say. Ridic
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I never see Heavy Bolters because they're so woefully mediocre. Most of the platforms you can take them on can take better weaponry, so it seems strange to take a pea shooter. I really wish they were a bit better. :/
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Is mostly a general 'if this can potentially kill it, how hard can it actually be?' benchmark weapon for me.

Hence I rarely use transports (also, still stuck in the 2nd Ed mindset that they're little more than mobile tombs).

The fewer weapons that can tickle your unit, the betterer it is to my mind, no matter how scary the opposition equivalent is.

Chapter-Master

Guess I mis-read the thread - I thought it was 'best bang for the buck" kind of deal - in that case, yes, the WK is woefully subordinate to a vast array of other tools out there.

The "Best" superheavy was my friend's Imperator titan.

20 structure points (would be like 60 hullpoints now), transports 60 dudes in each leg. 7 carapace mounted turbo laser destructors... I think it laid out 28 Str D blasts of varying size per turn. 15 void shields (as if those made a difference)

Still managed to blow it up all but one time I played against it.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

All those rules needed was the Epic Realistic thing of 'clear out garrison, plant melta charges in it's legs then run away giggling maniacally'.

This is a sort-of 'best bang for your buck' type thread, but taking into account as much as possible - so points costs, relative survivability, how quickly it might run out of 'worth it' targets etc.

Brother-Captain

Alas, I cannot directly contribute, as my Dark Eldar lack super heavies or gargantuan creatures or even a blasted lord of war.

However! We do have a formation that lets us take titan-killing ravagers that completely ignore void shields! Ignoring how hard it is to kill most titans even sans void shields, I have found that that is a wonderful psychological weapon against most players, especially imperial players, who tend to freak out delightfully. Ever seen videos of birds like australian magpies swooping people while they shriek and flail and try to scare the bird away? I did that to a warhound once, who was running away from the flimsy kites made of tissue paper that can be exploded by ordinary bolter fire.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    All those rules needed was the Epic Realistic thing of 'clear out garrison, plant melta charges in it's legs then run away giggling maniacally'.

This is a sort-of 'best bang for your buck' type thread, but taking into account as much as possible - so points costs, relative survivability, how quickly it might run out of 'worth it' targets etc.
    Yeah that was never going to happen. Those legs were usually full of 60 berserkers in one leg and 60 plague marines in the other.

Dropping its void shields with massed scatter lasers and shuriken cannons then pounding it with Str D and wraithcannons was a much easier proposition. Also, I nearly got tackled to the ground when I popped it one time and said "there's not a problem that 30 fire dragons can't fix!"
    Last edited by Defenestratus; 08-16-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    then pounding it with the D

Suits you, Sir. OOH! Suits you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast