BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Putting together the Silver Tower models last night, man, the plastics GW are doing right now would blow my 12 year old mind. I remember when the plastic Saurus Warriors were the most impressive thing I'd ever seen!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	234477_sm-3rd Saurus front.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	18685

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    How about plastic models with metal arms, weapons, backpacks and ammo feeds.

Yes Space Marine Devastators. I do mean you. You and your overbalancing, falling over, smashy smashy ruiny paintjob antics.

Just plastic/metal kits. So glad to see the back of those!
    They were so terrible, even getting them to line up was a nightmare.

For both 40k and Fantasy, I could go to my flgs, buy 10 blisters, then spend the next 5 minutes bending tabs into slotta bases with needle-nose pliers and be ready for my game.

Also, I would write out by hand the stats of my models into my army roster. It really helped to learn the stats of all of my models and I never had to go check the initiative of some random character.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Attachment 18683

These fu*kers.

And these

Attachment 18684

And metal models with plastic arms, never mind *****ing about the psychic phase how about the sticking the arms back on your army phase.
    Also, *anything* with metal wings. 'Orrid kits to put together.

though it did once involve a hated store manager drilling into his thumb and the bit snapping off....so not all bad.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Also, *anything* with metal wings. 'Orrid kits to put together.

though it did once involve a hated store manager drilling into his thumb and the bit snapping off....so not all bad.

Balrog!!!!!!!

Thankfully they did stick the resin wings in the end but I was treated to the diabolical metal ones.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

First-Captain

Kids these days probably don't even know how to use a pin vice.

How about plastic models with metal arms, weapons, backpacks and ammo feeds.

Yes Space Marine Devastators. I do mean you. You and your overbalancing, falling over, smashy smashy ruiny paintjob antics.

Just plastic/metal kits. So glad to see the back of those!
    I have a bunch of those my dad bought that are still sitting in a plastic case waiting to be assembled. Sure, I could use more heavy weapons (because deploying a whole company of Devastators sounds like wholesome fun), but I loathe having to assemble more of those things. Ditto for older Chaos heavy weapons.

Oooo, how about the metal bodies and weapons, but plastic arms?
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

It's not for me to judge if anyone had a hard time, but I always found those reasonably easy? The whole weight issue at least didn't come into it. It was just lining them up which I've always had a knack for.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

unit of metal nid gargoyles and metal hurricane bolter sponsons on a land raider.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

It's not for me to judge if anyone had a hard time, but I always found those reasonably easy? The whole weight issue at least didn't come into it. It was just lining them up which I've always had a knack for.
    They weren't always molded quite right to fit, so you'd have to jostle around some of them to make them work right, while trying to apply the appropriate types of glue (shoulder pad to arm required plastic for the best bond, but arm to body and weapon to shoulder pad required super glue). Maybe it was just doing larger groups of them that caused the most annoyance. (Old school Ork heavy weapons units and Lootas... no shoulder pad issue, but still having to glue the arm on and hope it was in the right position for the weapon.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Night Goblin netters. My compooter - fu is unable to post a picture, but suffice to say the model was of a 3ft goblin swinging a 6ft net up behind him. And they were to be ranked up. On a 20mm base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	18686  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast